Nathan Ablett officially quits

Remove this Banner Ad

Shame that this is his decision, but I don't suppose any of us are surprised. I wonder how keen the club will be to take him back if he decides he wants it? I suppose it's his life, though, and if his heart isn't in it then better to get out now.
I would say very very keen, Because of the effect he has on his brother, I will be interesting to see how gaz takes this, I think he might be a little unsettled at the start of the season, NAB means so much to Gaz and i hope it dosnt effect him.

0,,5831718,00.jpg
"I feel as though I don't have the passion and the commitment to continue playing at the highest level,'' Nathan Ablett said yesterday. Picture: Andrew Henshaw

Who do you reckon that guy is? It doesn't look like Nate to me.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23019735-2722,00.html

I dont understand this "its disgraceful", "he owes the club" stuff. Childish, immature and thoughtless comments. Just because other people want to do it doesnt mean Nathan does. People get up at 4:30am every day to swim laps of a pool so they can go to the olympics. I dont want to do that, I have no interest in any of it. Does that make me a disgrace, or do I owe the Australian public an answer for not trying?

We will miss him. As Catman said, and I in the "lock up your children thread", NAB and TH are different players and would have played in the same side if they were both good enough.

It is okay to be disappointed. But in the end he didnt f*** over the club to go someplace else (ala our old Captain), he decided he life lay somewhere else. I, and any mature person, understand this.

Looks like a League player to me, though I don't have a clue who it is.

A quick search on Google would have turned up the correct bloke. Amateur stuff.
Probably one of the Storm players who recently trained at Skilled Stadium. Looks like the Hickey Stand's seats in the background.

we all have different thoughts about nathan ablett and i guess we will all ageee to disagree. the fact he has quit is sumthing we all must now deal with. he shouldn't get paid i thought u actually had to turn up to training and put your name forward for selection if u r not injured i hope it doesn't hurt our tpp. also i read in the paper how geelong would now be ruing the fact they traded gardiner and playfair those guys were both useless and should have been gotten rid of when they had more worth. hats off to the club as to how they got rid off players after winning the granny

also i read in the paper how geelong would now be ruing the fact they traded gardiner and playfair those guys were both useless and should have been gotten rid of when they had more worth. hats off to the club as to how they got rid off players after winning the granny

These 2 players had their chance to take NA's spot earlier in the year when NA was out injured.Neither of them did.Why doesn't Scott Gullan mention that in his article ?

If Nathan had made his intentions known earlier...

Say, before trade week, who would we have retained? King, or Playfair? Or none of the players we ended up letting go?

Or could it be that Nathan's decision will be a positive for the club. As Chip Le Grand said in today's Australian:

"So where does this leave Geelong? Perhaps in a better position to defend its 2007 premiership....This year, one of the more difficult decisions facing Thompson was how to fit Ablett and another goal-kicking son of a gun, teenage prodigy Tom Hawkins, in the forward line.
While Ablett kicked three goals in last year's grand final, his earlier finals performances raised the vexed question of whether Geelong would be a better team with Hawkins in and Ablett out.
The complication in weighing such a decision was the potential impact on Gary Ablett, Nathan's elder brother and the team's most influential player. To drop Nathan was one thing; to risk Gary's form quite another. Nathan's decision has removed the burden of that decision from the club. "

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: If Nathan had made his intentions known earlier...

True but only time will tell, We will have to sit back and wait to see how Gaz handles this, Been the Pro that he is i dont think it will effect him to much but, He is very very close to NAB.

I doubt Nath's own decision to quit will adversely affect Gaz's performance. It may be different if Nath had been dropped.

Back on-topic, I don't think Playfair or Gardiner would have been good enough to replace Nath, while King probably would still have been let go for salary cap reasons.

I'd like to see Lonergan or even Taylor play at CHF in the NAB cup.

Lets all be honest he only got a gig at Geelong because off his last name.:thumbsdown:

Headjobe Watson only gets a game at Essendon because of his last name.No other other club would want him.Crikey,Headjobe makes Monty Byrnes look like a quality midfielder.If Essendon had some half decent players Headjobe would be out the door and on his way to Bendigo to play footy.

Re: If Nathan had made his intentions known earlier...

Lets End anymore Nathan Ablett threads...
He made his choice and lets forget about him.

Here's what I said on Cats Claw about this whole thing.

I'm not happy with the outcome of all this to be honest.

Either he plays or he retires so we can get someone else on the list.

I've been a defender of Nate and his potential as a footballer from the day we picked him up. I believe we picked him up in the first place not because he is an Ablett, but because we believed he could play at the highest level. While we only received fleeting glimpses of that over a three year period, I feel the club has been vindicated in their decision.

Having said this, it's been pretty clear to me and to a lot of other avid footy watchers from all clubs (and this board) that he has never looked 100% switched on during matches. Hence most of his good games constituted a 20 minute burst during one quarter. This is why many on this board have been saying constantly over the last 3 seasons that he always looks about 5 minutes away from pulling the pin. As it pans out they were right.

Now as I say, I don't believe we picked him up because he is an Ablett, but I believe we have handled this situation the way we have because he is an Ablett, and I don't reckon it's on. If Nate wants to go and do other things thats fine. No problems there. But what about the kid who's spot he's taking on the list while he goes and does whatever he does? This isn't 1985. WE are full time professionals these days. If he's not prepared to do the hard yards, then he's got to be told by the club 'OK Nathan we respect your honesty and your wishes, therefore we think it's best you retire so we can put a kid on the list who does have a burning desire to play, and so we aren't pissing money against the wall while you decide whether you can really be bothered or not.'

I don't believe Nathan Ablett will ever have the desire to do what it takes to get the best out of himself and his footy career, and even if he does front up at some stage in the next 12 months, I don't believe it's going to be purely football driven. Considering his Dad and his Uncles all had the ability to play footy at the highest level, but not the desire to work as hard as they could to be the best they could (with the exception of Geoff), it's no surprise. Unfortunately, as good a player as he possibly could be, he's shown nothing to suggest he's ever going to get 100% into it. And you need to be 100% committed to make a long term go of it in todays footy. (Unless of course you are one G.Ablett snr, but Nate definitely isn't him, in fact no one is)

Which is what shits me. There are young blokes out there who would be dragged butt naked through glass to play league footy, and while they may not have the raw potential of a Nathan Ablett, they certainly have the desire to get the most out of themselves.

I wish Nate all the best in whatever he does, but this is kowtowing people, and I don't think it sets the right example to anyone at the club. Sometimes you have to put the foot down, and our wishy washy response is a real disappointment. You're either in or you're out, there can be no creamy middle.

Even if he did retire on monday we still couldn't replace him on the list for 2008 with a Rookie.

I know. I guess I didn't make the point clear enuff that this also applies to when this whole thing started, at a point where we could still have put someone on, by making the call straight off the bat rather than pissing around.

you could keep Gardiner I suppose but playfair was pretty useless!

Gardiner would have solved all our problems, wouldn't he Scotty?

An average of 1/2 a goal a game in over 50 games as a tallish forward. Priceless!!!!

Don't bother with him mate(thehoff)... good post, you are absolutely correct. There is a heap of young blokes willing to do whatever it takes training wise out there... Nath has a silver spoon up his arse. You can't blame him though... the clubs attitude on this has been terrible.. Near forcing someone to be a professional athlete??? WTF?

Here we go. You're pretty good at having a crack in hindsight.

I do hope that the Nathan Ablett knockers here plan to stick to the same career their whole lives and have so up until now. God help anyone who doesn't find satisfaction in what they are doing and wants to change, if this is the criticism they get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Ablett officially quits

Remove this Banner Ad

Back