Nathan Ablett officially quits

Remove this Banner Ad

bit unfair sammy. You have to remember that the club harrased him into playing in the first place.

Looking at the positives it really places alot of responsibility on Tomma and will give a few other blokes some opportunities they may not have otherwise had in 2008.

Re: Cats call press conference (Possible Nathan Ablett Decision)

Pickers just mentioned that ablett will re negotiate his contract. Mentioned that he still may be paid, just on a reduced amount.

Why is he getting paid?

Pickers just mentioned that ablett will re negotiate his contract. Mentioned that he still may be paid, just on a reduced amount.

Why is he getting paid?
Because he's contracted and might play VFL, I'd assume.

nathan ablett has shown his true colours and that i that he couldnt givee a shit about anybody but himself. just like his old man the only ablett that cares about geelong is his brother

Very harsh. Not everyones life evolves around footy. As was previously said, he was pressured immensely into playing in the first place, and has come to realise it isnt for him. How this is selfish i dont know - i thought selfish would be to keep going thru the motions year after year and keeping a more eager player off the list...:confused:

Because he's contracted and might play VFL, I'd assume.

Big deal. When you walk away from the club all of that should become void. If he plays VFL give him the wage of whatever a top up player gets. Until that not one cent should go into the N.Ablett bank account.

Big deal. When you walk away from the club all of that should become void. If he plays VFL give him the wage of whatever a top up player gets. Until that not one cent should go into the N.Ablett bank account.
He's a listed AFL player for 2008, to pay him VFL top-up rates may not be allowed.

nathan ablett has shown his true colours and that i that he couldnt givee a shit about anybody but himself. just like his old man the only ablett that cares about geelong is his brother

What's worse:

Nathan Ablett staying, going through the motions and putting in less than 100%, or;

Nathan retiring because he is honest enough to admit that he won't be contributing 100% to the team?

my thoughts are harsh i agree but the club has given nathan ablett plenty and right now it was his time to repay them, so instead he quits what that shows me is that he has nothing for the club. As for other opportunities Tomcat is twice the player nathan is and he is a young blok who loves the club, however it would have been better to have both togeether with mooney down there

Keeping him on a wage now doesn't really hurt us salary cap wise but I wouldn't like to see him on anything for 2009 unless he can commit himself 100%.

my thoughts are harsh i agree but the club has given nathan ablett plenty and right now it was his time to repay them, so instead he quits what that shows me is that he has nothing for the club. As for other opportunities Tomcat is twice the player nathan is and he is a young blok who loves the club, however it would have been better to have both togeether with mooney down there

I agree, the three of them in the forward line would have been a tantalising prospect..might still happen.

Hawkins and NAblett are different players though, both about the same height but while Hawkins is the traditional power forward (eg. Barry Hall/Tredrea/J.Brown etc) I see NAblett more as a tall flanker (eg. Franklin), which is why he will be a bigger loss than most people think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Gaz senior quit he had already won a Norm Smith medal

Nathan is hardly on the same level.

Did he say what he was going to do instead? Is he doing an "Occy" for a couple of years?

Let's not get too carried away. We're talking about the guy who came 20th in the B&F. His contribution in 2007 was pretty up and down. But he had improved every year so it was his potential that I was looking forward to. Still he might come back - and it gives a huge opportunity for Tom Hawkins.

I heard rumours that Nathan Ablett is on something around 250k - not sure if its true though but I don't know why Geeelong fans would be dissapointed. In 2009, I'd rather give 200k of Ablett's salary to Joel Selwood and grab another draft pick. Ablett retiring could be a great bonus - it gives Tom Hawkins a real chance in 2009 and reduces the salary cap squeeze in 2009 onwards if he never comes back. A blessing in disguise IMO.

Nathans wage will be adjusted by agreement with the club. (Pickers said this) Also I doubt greatly that he will return to the AFL. He left the doos adjar for the VFL
We can not elevate anyone from the rookie list therefore will have to play with one man down.

I agree, the three of them in the forward line would have been a tantalising prospect..might still happen.

Hawkins and NAblett are different players though, both about the same height but while Hawkins is the traditional power forward (eg. Barry Hall/Tredrea/J.Brown etc) I see NAblett more as a tall flanker (eg. Franklin), which is why he will be a bigger loss than most people think.

he will be back, he wants to be a traddie
but a traddie carries, lifts, kills themselves 5 days a week
as for a football player, gets paid well, and spends time in the gym and on a footy field

given what he was paid he will be back, too soft to work as hard as he needs to

if he doesn't play footy he can just go to stud

I thank Nathan for his service to the club.
The man was allways pursued by us and was allways reluctant
He played in a premiership for us
He carried himself well
I hope he reconsiders and returns even though this is unlikely
Should he not I wish him all the very best in the future and he should be proud of what he has achieved

like we didn't see this coming.....

nathan had the POTENTIAL to be lance franklin on a budget....potential that he still hadn't/barely lived up to.

he was practically handed a career paying him a small fortune by name alone....

to me i honestly don't mind that he's gone....we have some outrageous talent that WANT to play and now they have that better opportunity

good luck to him for whatever he ends up doing but i really hope we don't take him back if he chooses to come back in the long run.

Let's not get too carried away. We're talking about the guy who came 20th in the B&F. His contribution in 2007 was pretty up and down. But he had improved every year so it was his potential that I was looking forward to. Still he might come back - and it gives a huge opportunity for Tom Hawkins.

The two Tom Tom's - Lonergan and Hawkins.

Watching the 2007 highlights DVD Nathan played some great football during the season, albeit inconsistently. To lose a player of his calibre would normally hurt a team, but with the Tom's, i think we'll have it covered.

People calling for Ablett to not be paid have no comprehension of what a basic contract is, as well as what has actually occured today.

Think about it before going on some ill-informed rant.

People calling for Ablett to not be paid have no comprehension of what a basic contract is, as well as what has actually occured today.

Think about it before going on some ill-informed rant.

Wouldn't ablett's contract become void considering he walked out with a year to go.

Wish i had a job i could go to where i could quit for a year and still get paid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan Ablett officially quits

Remove this Banner Ad

Back