News Nathan Ablett signs with Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's saying that if a player hasn't played for any club in 3 years whoever wants him can bypass the draft altogether and sign him straight up.

Dunno how true it is, or even if I'm reading it the right way...

I still don't see how it can be in Geelong's favour. Geelong have nothing to gain and nothing to lose in this matter if it ever eventuates.

Have to agree. If true the GC is a perfect place for him. He can play and be unknown around the place. I am not surprised if this is true.

His name is Ablett, so will never be unknown, no matter how hard he would wish it to be otherwise. If he does play for the GC, and it's a big if, it may just make it that much sweeter for Gary to take the millions on offer next year. Knowing his brother will be coming to play, Nathan may just cross over that mental ledge he's been unable to jump off of so far. Jesus, GC would be creaming their pants to have both lining up in their first game, 2011.

Geez hes going to cop it... hes going to be compaired to his dad and brother all the time....both of whom have had awesome football careers.... Massive shoes to fill..... but he is a premiership player after all.

Means SFA. There have been many duds who have Premiership medallions. Not that I'm suggesting Nate was a dud. Just that he has form as far back as Modewarre for being an uncommitted, underperforming player lacking drive. His total contribution for us has been overrated. In 2007 he played almost (maybe all) games and didn't finish in the top 10 (or was it 13) in the B&F. That's how the match committee measured his contribution.

waste of time

walked out on the cats to be a builder and travel the world

lol

went to broadbridge

waste of time

going to GC

waste of time

he has no intention of playing football
he just wants moolah for doing jack

he was a protected species at the cats, at gc he will be slammed and he will not cope

only looked at to lure his bro,

this one is interesting, as gazza might do the

well sign my brother and i'll see, giving him another 2 years of pay to be a builder

ah, whatever, this and mitch thorpe

Means SFA. There have been many duds who have Premiership medallions. Not that I'm suggesting Nate was a dud. Just that he has form as far back as Modewarre for being an uncommitted, underperforming player lacking drive. His total contribution for us has been overrated. In 2007 he played almost (maybe all) games and didn't finish in the top 10 (or was it 13) in the B&F. That's how the match committee measured his contribution.

Take into account the type of year we had and how young Nathan was, and I can completely understand that Nathan did not make the top 10. Infact I would be more suprised if he did get in the top 10 then if he didn't.

He must be short of coin.........

Not fussed to be honest.
He always looked slow to develop. Yeah sure he looked like he had all the attributes other than a fierce desire to get the footy.

He's a drifter. On and off the field.

He's missed 2 years of footy now and he'll only get a vfl season next year.

The level I thought he may achieve haas now passed him by.

I'd only be worried if this was being used as a further lure for Gazza to move up there.

A mate at work knows the Ablett family, and had been talking to Jnr's mum. He told me three weeks ago that at the moment if Gary had to make his decision right now, that he would more than likely go to the GC than stay. If the reports are true about Nathan then I am sorry, but I personally cant see us being able to keep Gary from going as well.

waste of time

lol

went to broadbridge

waste of time

going to GC

waste of time

he was a protected species at the cats, at gc he will be slammed and he will not cope

well sign my brother and i'll see, giving him another 2 years of pay to be a builder

What

the

f**k

does

all

this

mean

in

English

:confused:

C'mon witsend, let's not kid ourselves. Nate's dad didn't NEED to train hard to turn a match on its head by himself. Yabby Jeans didn't know this/chose to ignore it and Gary walked out and shut the door on Hawthorn, where his brother was a premiership player. John Devine didn't know this/chose to ignore it and Gary nearly walked out on Geelong.

Malcolm Blight knew this. Him and Gary came to an understanding about training and, though it wasn't really fair to the rest of the team who had to train more often, Gaz blazed under Blighty.

I know football's a team sport and everyone should work as hard as one another, united as one under the team banner but sometimes wisdom dictates another way with certain players.

I see where you're coming from, but ultimately Geelong failed to win a Premiership during the Ablett Sr era. I for one, feel there is a MASSIVE attitudinal difference between Jr's side and Sr's side, which is the reason we now have 2 flags.
You cannot tolerate that kind of "me first" attitude in a team. It's cancerous and destructive. Sr's attitude worked great for Sr, but was crap for the Cats.
I was a huge wrap for Nathan as a player. If he had his brother's commitment he would have been frighteningly good!!
But he doesn't....
I wouldn't be surprised if he just thought "Hey, they'll pay me a bunch of money to sign on for a year for a kick and a giggle..why not?".
Then when push comes to shove, he'll bail on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A mate at work knows the Ablett family, and had been talking to Jnr's mum. He told me three weeks ago that at the moment if Gary had to make his decision right now, that he would more than likely go to the GC than stay. If the reports are true about Nathan then I am sorry, but I personally cant see us being able to keep Gary from going as well.

Sorry, mate...but bollocks....

waste of time

lol

went to broadbridge

waste of time

going to GC

waste of time

Is there a haiku in there?

Couldn't care less what he did really. I loved it when he joined the Catters after some heavy prompting and to play with his borther in a premiership was amazing. He made his choice to leave the club and fade out of the limelight, hard to see him jumping back into it. As long as GAJ stays a true Cat, which I think he will as he plays for more than just money IMO, then all is okay!

Good luck to him.... He still needs to prove himself as a footballer.... Unfortunately he turned his back on the Catters but it will be interesting to see whether he can cut it in the VFL next year....Can't wait for 2011 when we venture up to the GC ....:footy:

interesting thing is that they will not get him to sign a VFL contract and just use him as a top up player because he never signed a contract with Broadbeach come 2011 he will be 3 years without a club and can be signed with out going into the draft.

This could also work in Geelong's favor couldn't it? Moons retires, Gaz signs on to stay and Nate comes back to Geelong?

i dont get it how is nathan playing for the goldcoast meant to get nathan and gary to be at geelong?

really? They should call themselves Gold Coast Gimmick - are they going to recruit anyone who has played afl football in the last 2 years??

I really don't believe this. Sorry.

I can't see Nathan playing at AFL for the Gold Coast or anyone else. VFL, maybe, but I just don't think he has the will to succeed at the highest level, or the ability to deal with the exposure. I am sure this will not turn out to be much.

I see where you're coming from, but ultimately Geelong failed to win a Premiership during the Ablett Sr era. I for one, feel there is a MASSIVE attitudinal difference between Jr's side and Sr's side, which is the reason we now have 2 flags.
You cannot tolerate that kind of "me first" attitude in a team. It's cancerous and destructive. Sr's attitude worked great for Sr, but was crap for the Cats.

Yeah, for sure. Just how much of an influence on club culture Blighty's 'arrangements' with Ablett were I guess we'll never know. Unless that JamieJohnstone bloke were to interview Blighty...

I am surprised. Maybe it’s a shortage of readies. I’m just glad we’re rid of him. An underachiever who’s contribution with us was grossly over-rated. He’s been out of elite level football for years and only last year failed to fulfil the much lesser commitments with the local Gold Coast club he was playing with. The only reason I can think of as to why the GC would be the slightest bit interested in a player who lacks drive and commitment would be as a lure for his brother.

And that message should be rammed home to Nathan. He could be used as a pawn by GC.

Re: Nathan Ablett may sign with Gold Coast

Interesting. If Nablett played for the GC all of a sudden I would be worried about Gaz. We know how close the two apparently are. The Ablett name is synonymous with Geelong but reality is, Gary owes the club nothing. He has gone a long way to producing two premierships for us. We cant pay him what the GC can. If he were to go up there I would disappointed but there wouldnt be the same ill-feeling i.e the Leigh Colbert situation. If Gary does go up there we wouldve had his best years anyway.

A lot of a assumption there. I dont think Nablett can cut it at AFL level anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Nathan Ablett signs with Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back