Player Watch Nathan Freeman

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two words.

Bill Davoren.

cranston.jpg

What was the feeling of Freeman from Pie fans before he was drafted? And were you pleasantly surprised or mortified when he was picked at 10? What kind of player did you see him being? Similar to anyone running around now?

I'd say he's more worried about future opportunity, since no-one can change the past. Pretty tough competition with Pendlebury, Varcoe, Sidebottom, Adams, Crisp, De Goey, Greenwood, Blair, Williams, Seedsman, Treloar, Aish, and whoever else you guys attract for the next few years. It's a pretty strong group developing. From an "opportunity" perspective, he'll get a lot more chances at St Kilda because our midfield is pretty threadbare at the moment, even more so once Montagna goes.

Swings and roundabouts. You guys have attracted plenty of good young players from other teams (Adams, Crisp, Treloar etc). This is the way it works in the modern AFL. The kid has played zero games and he doesn't want to be at Collingwood. I don't see how you're going to get huge compensation. Third-round pick (40 something) is fair for everyone and I expect that will get done in the first two days of the trade period.

Swings and roundabouts my arse. We've paid and paid handsomely to acquire Adams (Shaw + part of his 1st year GWS salary) and Crisp (Beams) and I'm sure we'll pay a fair pound of flesh to acquire Treloar. Pick 5 or Bruce or Acre seems like a nice starting point for Freeman and maybe we'll sweeten the deal with our 2nd or 3rd round pick if it's pick 5 or Bruce.

What was the feeling of Freeman from Pie fans before he was drafted? And were you pleasantly surprised or mortified when he was picked at 10? What kind of player did you see him being? Similar to anyone running around now?

We had high hopes mate....he was supposidly the next Bob Heard!

Adams had played 31 games in his first two years. Freeman has played 0.

I agree Crisp isn't a particularly good example, since he was steak knives in the Beams trade. Good steak knives though. And even he'd played 18 in three years.

If Freeman had played 10 games and shown a bit then I completely agree 20-25 would be fair. But in the entire time since he was drafted he's only played a handful of VFL games. His injury history has to drop his value significantly.

If we can't get a deal that keeps us happy then Freeman can take his chances in the ND or PSD. With Carlton, Brisbane, GCS and Essendon all with selections ahead of the Saints he can't be guaranteed where he might end up. Especially if the Saints don't commit with their 1st pick. Not sure he's pick 1-5 worthy and if the Saints opt for someone else at 5 he'd have a nervous wait till their 2nd round pick. Even in the PSD hard to see him surviving till pick 5.

I hope the Pies play real hard.

Rohan Connolly suggesting Freeman and Buckley didn't get along in the last 6 months. Said he was impressed highly by Alan Richardson.

From memory we weren't hugely impressed at the time but trusted in Hine's judgement. Was going to be Swan's replacement. There were a few that wanted Lennon and a couple were disappointed we didn't go after McCarthy. Though with all three players potentially on the way out, it wouldn't have really mattered who we picked.

Maxy recently compared him to Dangerfield and the media were going with that assessment too around draft time. But the draft watchers here compared him more to Luke Shuey.

Seems like getting Treloar and losing this guy won't be the biggest loss then :)
Obviously depends what we get for him.

losing a first round draft pick that you haven't seen play is disappointing and can really backfire should he realise his full potential. It's a shit time for the club and Freeman but sometimes both need a new start to hit the ground running again.

Not sure what's happening behind the scenes to cause this. This is a guy yet to play a senior AFL game, that's all he is now. I can see the clubs stance in holding fast in any negotiating. For me they have done their part in a) drafting him and b) supporting him through his injury and rehabilitation. Freeman should now be repaying the faith before asking for more money or additional contract length.

I'm not worried if we lose him, disappointed yes, but not worried.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like getting Treloar and losing this guy won't be the biggest loss then :)
The problem is you can't see the forrest for the trees.
The end result is that in the end, we might get Treloar to replace Freeman, but it has cost the club a pick 10, a pick 7, and a pick, say 28 next year. Less, what we will get from you.
That's a pretty high price in my books.

Upstarts like Luke Ball?

Sod off back to your own den of inadequacy. So little respect for a past club champion and captain. It was Ross Lyon that screwed that pooch. We offered good currency (pick 30) and a player (Goldsack) in a trade for Luke Ball and the w***ers at your club scoffed at it. Well guess what, we got him for pick 30 and kept the player and they both now have premiership medallions. Thank you St Kilda!

What we thought of Freeman pre-draft matters little. What the club and our recruiting department were prepared to invest to acquire him matters a lot.

Obviously depends what we get for him.

losing a first round draft pick that you haven't seen play is disappointing and can really backfire should he realise his full potential. It's a shit time for the club and Freeman but sometimes both need a new start to hit the ground running again.

Not sure what's happening behind the scenes to cause this. This is a guy yet to play a senior AFL game, that's all he is now. I can see the clubs stance in holding fast in any negotiating. For me they have done their part in a) drafting him and b) supporting him through his injury and rehabilitation. Freeman should now be repaying the faith before asking for more money or additional contract length.

I'm not worried if we lose him, disappointed yes, but not worried.

Interesting that Paul Connors said we weren't chasing Aish because we think our midfield is ok.

I would think it's the opposite - we'd be chasing him harder now that Freeman has walked.

Lack of opportunity? He was never available to pick! Which one of his 4 vfl games should have been in the 1's?

The only time we could show him we rated him was at draft time. And we did, with pick 10. The Saints could have picked him before us but didn't.

Gota problem with the fitness staff? No worries. More cash? Ok.

Don't play the opportunity card please

It's an obvious case of him taking the comfort of a longer deal and $. You don't blame him I suppose but it also shows that he has no faith in his own ability to 1) get fit, and 2) do the hard yards and break into the 22. In the long term we all know if he makes it as an elite type player on our list then he will definitely be financially $$$ rewarded and looked after. Connors maybe aware of bigger issues with his fitness and that's why he's convinced Freeman to walk
(3 year 1Mil). If it's mainly about the dollar then Connors is a fool and Freeman should be moving him on.

IMO I think he's taking the easy option out if he leaves and if that's the case I don't want soft c?cks at our club. C Ya.

Loved what trav cloke said just a moment ago on triple m although a little bit hypocritical.said that if your not 100% committed and you get act like a knob and chase the money then let theme go.didn't mention freeman exactly but we know who he's talking about.

Rohan Connolly suggesting Freeman and Buckley didn't get along in the last 6 months. Said he was impressed highly by Alan Richardson.
With the Rumours Going Around. That sounds Highly Likely

I stopped getting excited about new players when Marty Clarke went home the first time. I now reserve my affection/adulation until a player has proved himself over time.
It's a shame that Freeman walked when the club expended so much money, effort and time on him, but between his hampered hammies and his delayed development he's no longer a prime prospect.

Agree with your post in so many ways, but I can't support three examples of alliteration in the same sentence. I just can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back