National anthem - girt by cringe

Remove this Banner Ad

15 year olds lied about their age to fight in WW1. Kids these days complain about the National Anthem being played pre-game.

Close thread.
Interestingly, the National Anthem back then was 'God save the King'. When I went to High School is was 'God save the Queen', and shortly thereafter it became 'Advance Australia Fair' (with amended lyrics).
I think that the issue is...that 'the National Anthem is shit', rather than 'the National Anthem is played'.
And I tend to agree. It is an uninspiring dirge(1.2informal A song or piece of music that is considered too slow, miserable, or boring), and the whole point of an anthem is to inspire. Let's change it to something that we want to hear.

The pre-match ANZAC tributes this round are a nice touch. Respectful, reflective and commemorative.

But as the dirge-like tones of the national anthem droll on, I'm glad we don't have to put up with this unbearable train-wreck of a tune every week.

Even in finals it's all a bit too much.

Maybe just save it for ANZAC Day and the GF.

Anymore than that and it's boorish.
Strangely enough at the St Kilda vs Adelaide game they just did the ANZAC ceremony and that's it. No anthem after it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really.

It represents us perfectly.

Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second rate people who share its luck. It lives on other people's ideas, and, although its ordinary people are adaptable, most of its leaders (in all fields) so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise.

"lucky country" has certainly shifted its meaning after all those years.

If you read the lyrics of all five verses it's cringeworthy.

I am Australian by the Seekers should be our anthem. Fantastic song.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can you imagine the feeling in the crowds of international events as it crescendos into the first chorus

It's inclusive of the aboriginals, it mentions our convict history, it mentions the farming heritage. **** it's so much better

Especially this bit
I'm a bushy
Im a battler
I am Australian...

We are One, but we are many!

Imagine that feeling in the crowds

Can you imagine the feeling in the crowds of international events as it crescendos into the first chorus

It's inclusive of the aboriginals, it mentions our convict history, it mentions the farming heritage. **** it's so much better

Especially this bit
I'm a bushy
Im a battler
I am Australian...

We are One, but we are many!

Imagine that feeling in the crowds

It's absolute rubbish the kind of crap primary school teachers force kids to sing when they're not forcing them to believe in global warming and other nonsense.

Our anthem in an uninspiring funeral dirge that represents nothing about our country and was written by a Scotsman. When we become a republic it, along with our stupid flag, should be redone to better represent us.
The New Zealand national anthem was written by an Irishman living in Australia.

Australian national anthem needs to be replaced by the american national anthem - by far the best.

I for one welcome our new freedom bringing overlords.

aussies that disagree can be deported back to england. you simply have to go back.

The SSB is one of the most depressing dirges out there. It's horrible.

Look at anthems from France or Russia for something good.

Remove this Banner Ad

National anthem - girt by cringe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back