National Champs - Squads and Players to Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: National Champs - Payers to Watch

I think GWS have to give them both up, I think their rights over these two boys is limited to accepting the best off for them.

I'm pretty sure you're right.

GWS can't get these two kids (or Stringer, Vlastuin etc who are also born in the Jan-Apr window) but they CAN control who does get them.

That's some pretty handy bargaining power - I don't reckon they'll have too much difficulty convincing clubs to trade with them...

There is another thread dedicated to this ....and it's a long one as the rules are difficult to get your head around. Notwithstanding this is a good article that largely explains the rules and the strategy GWS will likely employ;

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tomorrows-stars-in-giants-sights-20110524-1f2ij.html

In short they will most likely trade 2-3 of the 17yo's this year and I would think O'Meara and Yarran will definately be two and then likely use the remaining 1-2 next year when they would definately be looking at Jack Martin. The three of these boys will deliver some outstanding talent if what i am hearing is correct. Clubs keen on rebuilding really want these kids.

*If unclear find some of Vader's posts on this as he is usually the source of all things true around draft rules

NSW

Jarrod Witts - Big lad who is tied to Collingwood and has improved out of site. Pies need some big kids to come through so will be watching closely.

Michael Hartley - Another Collingwood kid and is developing well as a key back. Terrific size kid and could end up hurting someone at this Champs if they aint careful.

Harry Cunningham - One of my fav's in their side. He is excellent to watch. Ticks a lot of boxes. Good mover and he has super pace. Kicking skills are good and he takes the game on which is going to be something in demand I would think.

Sam Milne - Probably their best player.

Oliver Tweedale - Probably one of the most draftable kids in their squad but hasnt backed up with results just yet. Keep an eye for though as very athletic and lots of draftable attributes.

Cam Moller - Big ruck tied to Freo i think it is.

Adam Flagg - I know a bit about this kid and am keen to see how he goes. Comes with good raps and has the potential to do some really neat things.

Aaron Duncan - been around NSW junior scene for a while and is worth keeping an eye on.

This is pretty biased Snoop Dog. The kids from the ACT are omitted.

David Coward was an underage member of the RAMS team last year.
He has been on an AFL scholarship for the past 2.5 years at Geelong Grammar which he received because of a recommendation from Geelong's Stephen Wells.
What about David Cummins, Jordan Harpar and Nick Collins?

mate you might have missed I put a caveat at the top of the thread saying I did not profess to know all of them. Apols for not being across some ACT lads but again I dont profess to be an expert on every potential player hence why I was suggesting folks like you who may be able to help us out with a few kids we should be looking out for.

Appreciate the contribution....I will keep an eye out for them when head to BO next wk.

SOS just has to give us a sweetheart deal for the other Chris Yarran. ;)

The Giants have to trade them, but they'll still get 80 to 90% of their worth. I doubt that they'll take just a good player or a potential scrubber who hasn't had a good 2011. They'll want a young best 22 player or someone like a Henderson or Kennedy who were traded whilst they were still developing. A Rhys Palmer or Taylor Walker might get it done. If Hampson steps up this round as the number one, they might see him as a Mumford-type bolter who was stuck behind established rucks.

Adam Carter is the brother of Mitch Carter (Carlton Rookie), has few weaknesses, is a gun.

Brad Hill is Stephen Hill's brother yes?

Matt Jupp is a tall defender, does most well just lacks pace.

there has not been said much about the qld team watch the u16s national last year and there was some talented kids in that alex sexton also some good kids in the tas team has any made the states side this year as younger ones

Adam Carter is the brother of Mitch Carter (Carlton Rookie), has few weaknesses, is a gun.

Brad Hill is Stephen Hill's brother yes?

Matt Jupp is a tall defender, does most well just lacks pace.

Brad Hill is Stephen's brother.

He's slightly shorter and 9kg lighter than Stephen was when drafted

I'm pretty sure you're right.

GWS can't get these two kids (or Stringer, Vlastuin etc who are also born in the Jan-Apr window) but they CAN control who does get them.

That's some pretty handy bargaining power - I don't reckon they'll have too much difficulty convincing clubs to trade with them...
If GWS figure they are going to finish last next year (fair assumption at this stage) they can leave a gun on the board and figure to take him at one this year. As I understand it they are trading players not picks in a mini draft so they control who gets taken and who doesn't.

Cheers Snoop and Minion for the info.

I haven't put too much work into the Qlders this year because GC can snap up the best talent again. With that said I think people should be taking note of Kolka. I think he should be right up there with the best rucks this year and surely GC don't need another ruckman. Personally I will also be keeping an eye on Richie Newell who is playing for Qld but is a NSW scholarship player for the Lions. He has been doing very nicely in the NEAFL and is training with the Lions. Hopefully he can show some class.

Looking forward to getting to Blacktown next Saturday. 10am start is a bit of a pain though.

Cam Eardley - Another midfielder who has been solid at Colts level. ticks a lot of boxes insomuch as he gets the footy and can play defensively as well. was in the squad last year as an underager and will be keen to see how he goes as a good champs gets him drafted for sure I would think.

Can anyone else give me an informed opinion on Cam? Is he likely to be drafted? I played junior footy with him for a few years, which is why I'm interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If GWS figure they are going to finish last next year (fair assumption at this stage) they can leave a gun on the board and figure to take him at one this year. As I understand it they are trading players not picks in a mini draft so they control who gets taken and who doesn't.

Cheers Snoop and Minion for the info.

I haven't put too much work into the Qlders this year because GC can snap up the best talent again. With that said I think people should be taking note of Kolka. I think he should be right up there with the best rucks this year and surely GC don't need another ruckman. Personally I will also be keeping an eye on Richie Newell who is playing for Qld but is a NSW scholarship player for the Lions. He has been doing very nicely in the NEAFL and is training with the Lions. Hopefully he can show some class.

Looking forward to getting to Blacktown next Saturday. 10am start is a bit of a pain though.

Quigs given time between two games I may not get their til half time of the first so presume you will do the usual write-up. I will definately do one for the second.

Can anyone else give me an informed opinion on Cam? Is he likely to be drafted? I played junior footy with him for a few years, which is why I'm interested.

i think he is definately in the draft mix and his Colt form has been good. was pretty well rated coming in but given the depth of midfield talent in this years draft I would suspect he needs a good champs.

To the Sydneyites, is Rooty Hill the closest train station to Blacktown Olympic Park??

Looking forward to hopefully seeing some of the NT boys running around during the competition. Of those eligible for this year, Louis Eggar is most likely to become my guy this time around. Daniel Stafford is the other one I want to see more of, I'm intrigued by him to say the least.

Also interested to see how David Kruse has progressed, I was a wrap for him last year. Just needed to provide more run, given he lacked the size to be a true key defender.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing some of the NT boys running around during the competition. Of those eligible for this year, Louis Eggar is most likely to become my guy this time around. Daniel Stafford is the other one I want to see more of, I'm intrigued by him to say the least.

Also interested to see how David Kruse has progressed, I was a wrap for him last year. Just needed to provide more run, given he lacked the size to be a true key defender.

Went to school with his older brother Joseph. When I saw him he was extremely skinny but a decent kick. Glad he's being given a shot at senior level.

Is there any footage of O'meara. I've heard good things about him.

What would clubs realistically need to give up?

Would someone like Stanton get the job done? Sheedy is a huge fan of Stants.

Any result yet on the WA v NT game yet? If I'm not wrong, it was on today.
WA outlasted NT after NT lead for most of the game apparently.

...................WA...............NT
1/2 time......3.8 (26).......4.5 (29)
full time.....11.14 (80).....9.12 (66)

Coniglio, O'Meara great for WA
Eggar, Tipungwuti for NT

http://twitter.com/J_Veale

Remove this Banner Ad

National Champs - Squads and Players to Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back