Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2006
thepowerfromport.com.au
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
rumors and transactions here.

Dallas Mavericks to fire Avery Johnson, Alex Kennedy.
ust hours after the New Orleans Hornets eliminated the Dallas Mavericks from the playoffs, Mavs' owner Mark Cuban has fired head coach Avery Johnson, ESPN Radio-Dallas reports.

Johnson, the 2006 NBA Coach of the Year, was let go after the team struggled to compete with the younger and less experienced Hornets in the first round of the postseason. In the final game of the series, the Hornets led the entire way and at one point were ahead by as much as 17 points before taking the series four games to one.
After Dallas struggled to secure a playoff seed in the tough Western Conference during the regular season, rumors started circulating that Johnson could be on the hot seat.

Despite taking the Mavericks to the Finals two years ago—where they lost to the Miami Heat—Johnson has struggled in the playoffs in recent years.
Last season, the Mavericks were upset in the first round by the eighth seeded Golden State Warriors despite having the league's best regular season record and the league's Most Valuable Player in Dirk Nowitzki.
This postseason, Johnson couldn't find an answer for point guard Chris Paul who averaged a remarkable 24.8 points, 11.3 assists, and two steals throughout the series.

Even though New Orleans was the higher seed, many people thought this would be a very close series because for many of the Hornets' starters (David West, Tyson Chandler, and Paul) this would be their first time starting in a playoff series. Meanwhile, Dallas had playoff veterans Jason Kidd, Dirk Nowitzki, and Josh Howard who had a combined 224 playoff starts between them. Despite their experience, the Mavericks couldn't find a way to keep up with the Hornets and obviously, Cuban thinks it all begins with the coach.

Watching his team get knocked out of the playoffs early for two straight years must have been the last straw for Cuban, who is one of the game's most active owners.

While other teams continue fighting for a championship, Cuban will be at home looking for potential coaching candidates. It's going to be a long offseason for the Dallas Mavericks.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/20516-Breaking-News-Dallas-Mavericks-Fire-Avery-Johnson

Brown, MJ Team up to lead Bobcats
AP -
Larry Brown wanted to resurrect his vagabond coaching career. Michael Jordan needed a veteran teacher to rescue his reputation as an executive.

The two former UNC players teamed up Tuesday when Jordan introduced the 67-year old Brown as the new head coach of the Bobcats, his ninth NBA coaching job. Brown agreed to a four-year deal, returning to the state where his coaching journey began, as reported by the Associated Press.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/52237/20080429/brown_mj_team_up_to_lead_bobcats/

Jack McCallum: D'Antoni's tenure in Phoenix over

SAN ANTONIO -- Mike D'Antoni, the NBA's Coach of the Year for the 2004-05 season and the man credited with re-invigorating fast-break basketball in a league gone stale, will not be back to coach the Phoenix Suns for the 2008-09 season, SI.com has learned.
D'Antoni deferred questions about his job status after the Suns were eliminated by the San Antonio Spurs in Game 5 of their Western Conference first-round playoff series on Wednesday night at the AT&T Center in Alamo City. "I'm just really proud of my guys," D'Antoni said after the Spurs' 92-87 win that marked the third time in four years that San Antonio has ended the Suns' season. He did not address his own situation. But sources within the organization confirm that D'Antoni feels he does not have the backing of upper management--specifically owner Robert Sarver and general manager Steve Kerr -- and considers the situation irredeemable.
The Suns have long been one of the NBA's model franchises, and both D'Antoni and Kerr, for whatever differences they might have about the direction of the team, are respected around the league. It's hard to believe, then, that D'Antoni's situation would devolve into an ugly, protracted war, New York Knicks style.
How exactly the scenario unfolds depends largely on whether or not D'Antoni gets another job offer. The most palatable scenario for all in Phoenix would be: Team A asks the Suns for permission to talk to D'Antoni, who has two years left on his contract; Suns say OK; D'Antoni interviews and is hired.
One landing spot for him would seem to be Chicago, where general manager Jim Paxson has not yet replaced Jim Boylan, who himself replaced Scott Skiles (now in charge in Milwaukee). The Bulls underachieved this season under both coaches but would seem to have the kind of offensive nucleus (Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, Kirk Hinrich, Andres Nocioni) with which D'Antoni could build.
One other possibility is New York, where new GM Donnie Walsh is taking his time making a head-coach decision despite speculation that the hiring of former point guard Marc Jackson is a done deal. There has also been whispers of D'Antoni taking over in Toronto, where Sam Mitchell's coaching future is an ongoing discussion and where Bryan Colangelo, D'Antoni's former boss in Phoenix and still a close friend, is calling the shots. But Toronto doesn't seem as comfortable a fit for D'Antoni as Chicago or even New York. Don't look for that to happen.
As is the custom with all NBA teams, D'Antoni will meet soon with Sarver and Kerr, together or separately. Kerr said before Sunday's Game 4, which turned out to be the Suns' lone series win, that D'Antoni's departure was not a fait accompli as far as he is concerned. He would not comment on D'Antoni's status after Game 5. But a source said that Kerr would make a few demands in the postseason debriefing: that D'Antoni devote more practice time to defense; have more confidence in his bench players, i.e., go to an expanded rotation; develop a clearer plan for a point guard to back up Steve Nash; get more planned touches out of Amare' Stoudemire in post-up situations.
D'Antoni, sources say, believes that the situation has been festering all season and that nothing would be accomplished in the meeting. Whatever the circumstances of his departure, it will probably be presented as as a rift between coach and GM, and to a large extent that's true. But when Colangelo left for Toronto, mostly because he and Sarver were doomed not to co-exist harmoniously, D'Antoni lost his biggest booster in the front office, as well as a friend. It's what happens in the NBA and in all pro sports.
Over four full seasons D'Antoni racked up a 232-96 record, made the Western finals twice and changed the way that observers both in and out of the league thought about the game. Management might have some legit gripes about his defensive coaching, and remember that D'Antoni was a bigger booster of the trade for Shaquille O'Neal than Kerr was.
But Suns' management now faces one extremely formidable challenge in l'affaire D'Antoni: Finding someone better.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...um/04/30/suns.dantonio/index.html?eref=sircrc

Denver Post
A source close to the situation stressed Saturday that Karl, who has two years and $6 million left on his contract, will be Denver's coach next fall regardless of how the Lakers series concludes. But any decision ultimately is up to Kroenke.

"George Karl is our coach," Nuggets executive Rex Chapman said when asked about Karl's future.

Karl is getting support from players.

"He would be the only reason I would come back. He's the best coach that I've ever had," said Najera, a free agent July 1.

Center Marcus Camby said, "I hope he remains the coach." Guard Anthony Carter, despite being upset with small minutes late in Saturday's 102-84 loss, said, "George Karl is an amazing coach, he knows how to do his job, and it's us players that are benefiting from it."

Karl said it's "crazy to be talked about." But he called speculation "the nature of the beast" because of being in his fourth season.

"He knows of (the speculation)," said Karl's son, Lakers guard Coby Karl. "I go through everything with him. We're a close family and everyone's affected by it. But we've all been in the NBA long enough to understand the situation and to deal with it. I don't think it bothers him as much as losing games."

so guys like D'Antoni and Avery are set to lose their jobs, whilst Karl who wasted his talents, by giving scrubs like Anthony Carter and Kleiza high minutes keeps his job.

Nuggets GM = stupid.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...um/04/30/suns.dantonio/index.html?eref=sircrc

I'll stick to the team I know best;

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/rumors/players/Shawn+Marion/nba.p.3332

If you can't be bothered reading it, it basically says Marion wants to stay at Miami but Riley has come out and said he wants big salary cap space.

I expect (hope) he stays as he will be a big factor in whether Miami can make a run for the playoffs in the hapless eastern conference.

In regards to our roster, I'd like to see us cut Earl Barron. Zo is also retiring.

Don't expect a trade from us, i really don't think we have much we want to give up (J-Will, Ricky Davis and Marcus Banks)

Loving this rumour

Multiple league sources said the Nets and Nuggets have discussed a blockbuster deal that would bring Anthony and Marcus Camby to New Jersey. In return, Denver would get a package that includes Richard Jefferson, Marcus Williams, Keith Van Horn's contract and the Nets' lottery pick. There likely is more involved to make the salaries match up, but the sources said the trade could happen, making Tuesday's draft lottery even more important.

Lets extrapolate together.

Keith Van Horn should be MVP if either team wins the championship next season. He is the sole reason (well his contract is) this could go through.

Lineups:

New Jersey/Brooklyn/Jay-Z Nets

C: Camby
PF: Boone
SF: Anthony
SG: Carter
PG: Harris

Enver/No D Nuggets

C: Nene
PF: Martin
SF: Jefferson
SG: Iverson
PG: Anthony Carter :D
6th Man: Keith Van Horns contract

I just looked at denvers roster, howard eisley still around? :confused::eek:

Loving this rumour

Lets extrapolate together.

Keith Van Horn should be MVP if either team wins the championship next season. He is the sole reason (well his contract is) this could go through.

Lineups:

New Jersey/Brooklyn/Jay-Z Nets

C: Camby
PF: Boone
SF: Anthony
SG: Carter
PG: Harris

Enver/No D Nuggets

C: Nene
PF: Martin
SF: Jefferson
SG: Iverson
PG: Anthony Carter :D
6th Man: Keith Van Horns contract

I just looked at denvers roster, howard eisley still around? :confused::eek:

that trade wont' happen... though i'd become a Nets fan if it did.

I don't get the Nuggets FO... they keep George Karl who is the root of our failure, but decide to listen to offers for their franchise player?

It sucks that Karl is staying but he gets too much hate, it's not like another coach is gonna come in and make us a great defensive team. Our roster needs a shake up. I hope we trade Camby because he'd have some trade value despite his age. We need Artest or any other good perimeter defender. I'm sure we could get something nice for J.R Smith.

I don't believe Denver should have traded Miller, and also Dallas should not have traded Harris. This isn't a hindsight statement, I don't believe AI can win a championship, a max contract 6 foot SG - and I've always believed Kidd and his triple doubles are massively over rated and Harris was already a great PG with an even better future.

And my Hawks perspective, Smith and Childress restricted free agents this year. They will have to go over the salary cap for the first time in what a decade to keep them both, Bibby comes off the books next year and also Marvin Williams will be restricted. I want them to trade Marvin in some way to get a starting 7 footer now, a rebounder who can defend - it moves Horford to 4 and Smith to 3 which are their natural positions + Joe + Bibby + Childress 6th man + Zaza who is better than he was this year + Law who was shafted for minutes along with Mario West, who really sucks but he plays and defends so damn hard its impossible not to like him ... and then all they need is a couple of vet role players. Mario West is a real tenacious nugget of a defender, but he was never once actually used for a specific defensive role. One of the many reasons Mike Woodson is a terrible coach.

But my perfect lineup won't happen because i'm not the GM of the Atlanta Hawks.

There's no source for this, just me speculating/living in a fantasy world.

Miami with pick 2.

Best outcome;
Marion Stays, Bulls take Beasley, Miami get Rose.

Second outcome;
Bulls take Rose, Miami get Beasley, Marion will probably move on, I'd like to see us make a play at either; Gilbert Arenas, Monta Ellis or Ben Gordon.

Third outcome;
Bulls take Beasley, Marion leaves, Miami take Rose. I'd like to see us with the Marion cap space make a move for; Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, AI9, Deshawn Stephenson or Josh Smith.

All players listed are Free Agents this off-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know what's worse - you making that shit up or 3 other people believing it.

LOL he's waiting till June 30 and then opting out of his contract ..
Sorry dude, I read this rumour from 3 or 4 different sources, and when there's smoke ...

Don't shoot the messenger ...

LOL he's waiting till June 30 and then opting out of his contract ..
Sorry dude, I read this rumour from 3 or 4 different sources, and when there's smoke ...

Don't shoot the messenger ...

Yes, I linked the article in the post above.

He's been saying that he's opting out as early as last season. This is hardly news. He's also been saying that he wants to stay a Wizard as early as last season.

I'd love to see your "3 or 4 different sources" which say that "it looks like Gilbert Arenas is leaving the Wiz"

Rumour has it that when Stern hands the 2008 NBA championship trophy to the Lakers, after game 4, he will also be handing over the 2009 & 2010 trophies. Dynasty #4 here we come.

Rumour has it that when Stern hands the 2008 NBA championship trophy to the Lakers, after game 4, he will also be handing over the 2009 & 2010 trophies. Dynasty #4 here we come.
Someones getting a bit ahead of themself :p

Lets see you win this season first.

Yes, I linked the article in the post above.

He's been saying that he's opting out as early as last season. This is hardly news. He's also been saying that he wants to stay a Wizard as early as last season.

I'd love to see your "3 or 4 different sources" which say that "it looks like Gilbert Arenas is leaving the Wiz"

I'm pretty sure he has stated that he wants to be a Wizard, but will look else where if the Wizards don't keep Antwan Jamison

Some rumors:

Numerous teams we spoke with today discussed the rumors of a potential draft-night trade that is making the rounds in NBA circles. Presuming that Derrick Rose goes #1, Miami would select Michael Beasley at #2 regardless, and wait to see if O.J. Mayo were to fall to the 5th overall pick. If that indeed was the case, Memphis would select him, and then trade him to Miami along with Mike Miller in exchange for Mark Blount and Beasley.

Seattle is also reportedly trying hard to move up to #2, and is dangling Chris Wilcox as bait (in exchange for the cumbersome contract of Mark Blount). The Supersonics would also take Beasley there. This is all assuming that O.J. Mayo doesn’t go third to Minnesota, which is not something teams should take for granted just yet based off what we know so far.

Memphis’ additional first round selection, the #28 pick, acquired from the Lakers in the Pau Gasol trade, is also reportedly in play. Rumors have the Grizzlies potentially trading this pick to Denver along with Kyle Lowry in exchange for the #20 pick. It’s possible that they would try and leap-frog the Orlando Magic and select Courtney Lee, who reportedly had a terrific workout there last week.

Other picks that we’re hearing rumors about include #6 (New York, trying to move up, or back), #19 (Cleveland, possibly to move up and take Brandon Rush), and #29 (Detroit, who supposedly isn’t enamored by anyone in this area). Two teams that are reportedly looking to acquire an additional first round pick are the Spurs (who unfortunately have very little to offer) and the Suns. The Wizards wouldn’t mind moving out if someone would offer them a good deal involving a point guard, but at this point that doesn’t seem likely to happen. Cleveland is trying to buy their way into the mid-first round, but unlike in years past, it won’t be Phoenix that is selling.

Look for the Los Angeles Lakers to try and land an early second round pick (possibly from Seattle) in order to draft IUPUI’s George Hill. He worked out in Los Angeles and reportedly was very impressive. His college team actually ran the triangle offense, and that is always a big factor in the Lakers’ workouts.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-Who-s-Moving-Up-or-Down-2933/

Remove this Banner Ad

NBA - 08/09 Offseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back