NBA - 08/09 Offseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent move by the bucks.

If all stay together, Bogut, Charlie V, Jefferson, Redd, Williams is a an excellent starting 5.

That starting 5 is lottery-bound. Bogut is ok defensively, the rest are absolutely woeful. Milwaukee and Indiana can fight it out for softest defense in the league.

Hmm, don't like that trade for the Wolves, seems like Mayo would have been a safe/good bet for 'Sota' (despite the fact that he may have a few off-court issues)

Seems as though it was a decent trade for the Grizz there ...
Seriously though He was a great player, no legendary player Mchale, but some of his trades/moves as GM of Sota leave me baffled ...

I doubt any team this off-season will make as dramatic a trades as boston did last season, which we gave up our future for KG and Ray Ray, which in hindsight proved a godsend as we managed to win the championship ...

I wonder if any other GM will try be as bold as Danny Ainge was last off-season, he rolled the dice, but boy, was the payoff worth it or what :D :D

Think the Bulls will bounce right back to playoff contention next season though (which may be an obvious statement), but right now, apart from LBJ and the Cavs, in the east, it doesn't look like anyone looks close to challenging Boston again, which is good :D :D

That starting 5 is lottery-bound. Bogut is ok defensively, the rest are absolutely woeful. Milwaukee and Indiana can fight it out for softest defense in the league.

Bit harsh.

I can see them easily slotting into the east playoffs.

Bit harsh.

I can see them easily slotting into the east playoffs.

Really? Charlie V might be the worst defensive 4 in the league (rivaling Z-Bo)

Redd is absolutely atrocious, just check out other SG's vs. Bucks.

Jefferson and Mo-Williams are both liabilities, though not in the same class of ineptitude as the other two.

If Alexander develops, he will be a good help defender ala Kirilenko (minus the quickness), and Sessions is ok I guess, but both still qn marks.

I really don't see who they're ahead of in the East except NY and possibly the Pacers and Bobcats.

Hmm, don't like that trade for the Wolves, seems like Mayo would have been a safe/good bet for 'Sota'

yeah i felt like that at the start....
although..
Yes Mayo was the best available, we already have foye, mccants, snyder, jaric, telfair (to an extent) that are all combo guards.
So..... with this trade. We cut down those positions whilst getting rid of Jarics hideous contract and walkers. Also we get Miller..one of the best pure 3 point threats in the league, love who should be solid and 2 bigs to help Jefferson. So really it aint too bad.
Although Mayo would have been fun :eek:

Really? Charlie V might be the worst defensive 4 in the league (rivaling Z-Bo)

Redd is absolutely atrocious, just check out other SG's vs. Bucks.

Jefferson and Mo-Williams are both liabilities, though not in the same class of ineptitude as the other two.

If Alexander develops, he will be a good help defender ala Kirilenko (minus the quickness), and Sessions is ok I guess, but both still qn marks.

I really don't see who they're ahead of in the East except NY and possibly the Pacers and Bobcats.

That may be so, but who is going to be able to stop them on the offensive end? Not many teams from the east anyway.

I see them as a crapper version of the 06/07 Suns. Should be enough to sneak into the playoffs IMO.

Nuggets reportedly after Hinrich.

:D

Spurs get:
Marcus Camby
Andres Nocioni

Bulls get:
Kurt Thomas (S&T)
Michael Finley
Spurs 1st

Nuggets get:
Kirk Hinrich

Bulls then waive Kurt Thomas, so he can rejoin the Spurs or something and play for a championship contending team.

lineups:
Spurs:
C - Camby
PF - Duncan
SF - Bowen
SG - Ginobili
PG - Parker

Bulls:
C - Noah
PF - Gooden
SF - Deng
SG - Finley
PG - Rose

Nuggets:
C - Nene
PF - Kenyon
SF - Melo
SG - Iverson
PG - Hinrich

T'Wolves new logo:
MinnesotaTimberwolves_PRMCompare.gif

T'Wolves new logo:
MinnesotaTimberwolves_PRMCompare.gif

much better. notice:

1. the spiked lettering, pointed downwards (i.e. the T) now flattened out. it symbolised a downwards spiral that was the wolves organisation. good signs

2. "minnesota" in the 4 sided shape (whatever its called). also pointed downwards. now upwards.
good signs

3. white shade on the wolves face and lettering. symbolises the welcoming of their new white hope, k love

much better. notice:

1. the spiked lettering, pointed downwards (i.e. the T) now flattened out. it symbolised a downwards spiral that was the wolves organisation. good signs

2. "minnesota" in the 4 sided shape (whatever its called). also pointed downwards. now upwards.
good signs

3. white shade on the wolves face and lettering. symbolises the welcoming of their new white hope, k love

more like symbolises the cum from all the other 29 teams because the wolves suck so bad

But yeah the logo looks better.

That may be so, but who is going to be able to stop them on the offensive end? Not many teams from the east anyway.

I see them as a crapper version of the 06/07 Suns. Should be enough to sneak into the playoffs IMO.

Well there is no point scoring 120 a game when you get 130 scored against you, this team is way worse than the Suns defensively, never thought i would say that.

Williams and Redd are still some of the biggest ball hogs in the league, so it doesn't really work unless they plan on trading for a pass first PG.

And it is pretty obvious that the Brooklyn nets are getting ready try and sign James, now that they have Yi 600000 billion chinese people will be watching the nets, $$$$$$$$, and since Lebron has said he wants to be the dominant sportstar all around the world, going to a team with 500000billion chinese people watching it certainly helps.

And now Cleveland have only .1% chance of trading for Michael Redd, so Lebrick will get mad again and leave because of the lack of support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jamison re-signs.

A massive contract offered to Arenas.

Artest believed to be sticking with his final year in Sac Town, suprisingly so.

Brand wants to sign back with the Clips for less which will allow them to sign Baron Davis?? Apparently the Clips could afford Brand at 6 years $100mil and B-Diddy at 5 years $80mil if they let Maggette walk. Nice little lineup starting to happen if this were the case.

C Kaman
PF Brand
SF Thornton
SG Gordon/Mobley
PG Davis/Livingston

Just need some backups in the other spots:thumbsu:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3468448

What has been widely described as a shallow pool of NBA free agents got surprisingly deeper Monday night when Golden State Warriors guard Baron Davis joined Los Angeles Clippers forward Elton Brand in opting out of the final year on his contract.

The decision was especially unexpected in Davis' case, after strong indications as recently as last week that he would not be forfeiting next season's $17.8 million salary to become an unrestricted free agent.

But the move -- after Davis' camp made little progress in recent weeks in its attempts to secure a contract extension with the Warriors -- suddenly creates the very real possibility that the former UCLA star could wind up alongside Brand in a homecoming with the Clippers.

Brand told ESPN.com that opting out "definitely doesn't mean I'm leaving the Clippers" and that his "intention is to stay" and re-sign with L.A.

Davis' agent, Todd Ramasar, likewise told ESPN.com late Monday that his client "has always been adamant about remaining a Warrior."

But NBA front-office sources said early Tuesday that the Clippers would be showing immediate interest in trying to pair Davis with Brand, although that would almost certainly require L.A. to abandon any interest in re-signing swingman Corey Maggette -- who also opted out his contract Monday after averaging 22.1 points per game last season -- and force Brand to take a slight pay cut.

Davis

Davis, though, isn't the only point guard on the Clippers' wish list. Sources said Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy was in the New York area over the weekend and stayed over Monday to meet with Beno Udrih of the Sacramento Kings at the first allowable minute, with Udrih coming off a strong first season with the Kings and expected to cost roughly half what Davis would.

As of 12:01 a.m. Tuesday morning, NBA teams were permitted to commence negotiations and strike verbal agreements with free agents, with actual signings and trades on hold until a leaguewide moratorium is lifted July 9.

Brand and agent David Falk insisted that their decision to forfeit next season's $16.4 million salary and allow Brand to become an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career was designed to give the Clippers more payroll flexibility to strengthen the team around its face of the franchise.

Falk told ESPN.com that a visit to Boston for Game 2 of the NBA Finals to see the Celtics' triumvirate of Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen was Brand's spark.

"He watched what happened when a few stars get together and agree to have a communal effort," Falk said. "He said, 'That's what I'd like to accomplish in my career.'"

Signing Davis away from the Warriors would certainly supply the Clippers with elite anchors in the backcourt as well as the front line, provided that Davis continues to stay healthy after playing all 82 games last season and if Brand continues to recover from an Achilles tear that limited him to just eight games in 2007-08.

Davis, 29, was the key figure on a Golden State team which halted a 12-season playoff drought in 2006-07 and produced a historic first-round upset of the 67-win Dallas Mavericks in the 2007 playoffs. He then averaged 21.8 points, 7.6 assists and 4.7 rebounds last season, but the Warriors just missed out on a second consecutive playoff berth despite a win total (48) exceeded by only three teams in the Eastern Conference.

Davis has repeatedly professed his desire to establish long-term roots in Oakland and responded angrily last Wednesday to suggestions that he wanted to be traded, telling ESPN.com: "I know what's in my heart and the people in the Bay Area know what's in my heart."

But it's believed that Davis is not only frustrated by his inability to reach a long-term agreement with the Warriors but is also somewhat unsettled by the fact that Golden State still must re-sign young cornerstones Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins and has coach Don Nelson under contract for only one more season.

"[Opting out] was a difficult decision to say the least," Ramasar said. "The past couple years, he's had a lot of success with the Warriors and I think they've had a lot of success with him.

"But he had gotten to the point that we were at a crossroads and it was something we had to address. ... With no extension or deal in place ... [opting out] was a bit unexpected but something that I advised Baron to do."

The Clippers appear to be the only realistic free-agent destination for Davis if his opt-out gamble doesn't lead to a new round of contract negotiations with the Warriors or if he can't convince Golden State to participate in a sign-and-trade. Memphis and Philadelphia are the only other teams with cap space to offer and neither is expected to pursue Davis.

The Warriors, meanwhile, weren't commenting Monday night, so it was not immediately known whether they plan to return to the negotiating table or if they're willing to let Davis go -- in spite of Golden State's success since pairing Davis with the free-wheeling Nelson -- and press ahead with their growing youth movement and the cap space that would be created by Davis' departure.

Golden State let a $9.9 million trade exception -- created by the 2007 draft-day deal that sent Jason Richardson to Charlotte -- expire Monday in part to ensure that it would retain the flexibility beneath the luxury-tax line to match any offers to restricted free agents Ellis and Biedrins. The Warriors have also stockpiled a promising group of youngsters behind those two 22-year-olds: Brandan Wright, Marco Belinelli and last week's first-round pick, Anthony Randolph from LSU.

Brand wants to sign back with the Clips for less which will allow them to sign Baron Davis?? Apparently the Clips could afford Brand at 6 years $100mil and B-Diddy at 5 years $80mil if they let Maggette walk. Nice little lineup starting to happen if this were the case.

C Kaman
PF Brand
SF Thornton
SG Gordon/Mobley
PG Davis/Livingston

me likey!

hmm this off-season is slow now, but wait to next year, when King Lebron is out of contract ...

Thinking the Nets are in a very strong position to nab him if he opts out of Cleveland ..

and brent barry has become a FA. now, interestingly when traded to seattle (and thus waived) he went back to SA. smart man, he detected that the spurs could win the title, or at least had a good chance of it.

now perhaps he things the spurs are a bit off pace and is looking at his options.

Remove this Banner Ad

NBA - 08/09 Offseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back