NEAFL - Northern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong.
Their was a meeting last night. Members of the board in attendance advising members of the AFL proposal. Discussion had.Squad of 35 for clubs. No reserves and no team in Qafl. 18s comp remains the same. 600k min spend. No guarantee home games will be at Esplen for example. Coorparoo, Yeronga mentioned.
All clubs having these meetings. Redlands scheduled for Mon night.

Chikka,
word from Mr Diamond is that Morningside will not be entering /supporting this proposal.
Also, news from their major sponsors is that they will rethink the amount of dollars they will contribute if they have a club that is not playing in the top comp in the state.... this includes my employer, be it Downtown Toyota, Inglass and major sponsor in The MGC group.Now, this is serious stuff, and no doubt the major sponsors of all local NEAFL clubs will be looking at this in the same manner.....

I can understand their rationale given the financial demands that seem to be being made to compete in this fanciful new comp, but I think it's an absolute disgrace that a successful and proud club like Morningside aren't considered worthy of saving, and/or being in the best football competition in Queensland. An extraordinarily sad day for australian football in this state.
Mayne was once the most successful and well known club in Qld they had no hesitation in giving them the flick!!!

I cannot understand the rationale at all. This is the AFL and any club that joins just wasting money hand over fist. Currently the two AFL clubs in QLD are already bleeding financially or being heavily subsidised whereas The two WA clubs are very profitable and Adelaide is as well and Port are back on track.
I obviously want Broady to play at the highest level but to not have Morningside in the highest level is ludicrous. They should fund them based on the high numbers of talented juniors in their area alone.

I cannot understand the rationale at all. This is the AFL and any club that joins just wasting money hand over fist. Currently the two AFL clubs in QLD are already bleeding financially or being heavily subsidised whereas The two WA clubs are very profitable and Adelaide is as well and Port are back on track.
I obviously want Broady to play at the highest level but to not have Morningside in the highest level is ludicrous. They should fund them based on the high numbers of talented juniors in their area alone.
i dont see the big issue Southport and Aspley have 10 times as much $$ then the other clubs so essentially are playing in a different league, Morningside,PBC,Grange,Maggies,Vultures,Noosa etc are all around the same rescource wise and also junior numbers. morningside has been successful for a few reasons they have pretty good juniors a hard working board a lot Morningside success has been because they have also been able to entice cooparoo,sherwood,kenmore,springwood,wynnum and various other clubs. the Lions,GC,Sharks,Aspley and maybe Redland along with and extended Scorpion playing programme will cover off the youth 23 and under coming through. the new qafl will be more traditional and tribal and will be chock full of locals looking forward to it....

Mayne was once the most successful and well known club in Qld they had no hesitation in giving them the flick!!!

Mayne got smashed every week for years before losing their spot in the top league. It wasn't a "no hesitiation", it was years of uncompetitiveness.

Morningside are a different story being a very successful organisation, and I would argue that the $$$ required to prop up the poorer NEAFL clubs would be a drop in the ocean compared to the massive cost of a Nth Qld team, or if the crazy idea of AFLQ starting new franchises in Brisbane

i dont see the big issue Southport and Aspley have 10 times as much $$ then the other clubs so essentially are playing in a different league, Morningside,PBC,Grange,Maggies,Vultures,Noosa etc are all around the same rescource wise and also junior numbers. morningside has been successful for a few reasons they have pretty good juniors a hard working board a lot Morningside success has been because they have also been able to entice cooparoo,sherwood,kenmore,springwood,wynnum and various other clubs. the Lions,GC,Sharks,Aspley and maybe Redland along with and extended Scorpion playing programme will cover off the youth 23 and under coming through. the new qafl will be more traditional and tribal and will be chock full of locals looking forward to it....

The scorpion program isn't working effectively and basically ends once the player turns 19.

Sharks and Aspley would load up with ex-AFL and other intersaters (the increased salary cap encourages them to do so). Very few talented youngsters would get the opportunity to play at the top level in QLD. Nobody will look at them in a new pretty average state league, with no stats, CDM's etc. It will force kids to seek opportunity down south. Sad for QLD footy. The NEAFL clubs are doing a good job IMO and deserve better treatment.

Very un-educated speedy, Aspley for what i have heard are siding with all other clubs. Just because they have money doesn't mean they are going to throw there in the ring. Why throw money down the drain. Going down this track just allows more ex AFL players into the system to plunder the clubs. Then where does that leave the youth. I thought the NEAFL was set up so the youth could be show cased. As stated by others this is just to assist the AFL players that don't get a game each week. Why don't they start there own comp and leave the clubs out of it. Crap idea but look on the bright side this seems to have everyone except speedy thinking the same.

The scorpion program isn't working effectively and basically ends once the player turns 19.

Sharks and Aspley would load up with ex-AFL and other intersaters (the increased salary cap encourages them to do so). Very few talented youngsters would get the opportunity to play at the top level in QLD. Nobody will look at them in a new pretty average state league, with no stats, CDM's etc. It will force kids to seek opportunity down south. Sad for QLD footy. The NEAFL clubs are doing a good job IMO and deserve better treatment.

Very good point premier, I agree 100%. A late maturing 19-20yo in QLD will be very hard for recruiters to detect in the QAFL. I also agree regarding Morningside, not all clubs need huge $$$ to be successful, surely a little help from head office here and they have a very high functioning and successful team. Why would they let them go down to the QAFL and then fund a whole new team from Yeronga? Surely throwing some $$ at them would be a far cheaper and more sensible alternative.

1 team on the Gold Coast is a poor decision also IMO. If someone at Southport decide they don't rate/like a certain player, they have to travel at least an hour up the road or move interstate to play at a high level. A Southport monopoly in a market is not a good idea IMO, although they would be ecstatic at the idea.

It won't be long though and the QAFL/ QSFL / QAFL / AFLQ / NEAFL (did I miss any?) will change again.

Have put the idea fwd to lions academy in relation to adding 19-22 yr olds in some kind of training capacity. A list compiled by the recruiting department. I also feel that maybe our niche is this age bracket..
Re re structure Neafl club presidents and co in a meeting as of 2 pm today.
Still lets not have a crack at the sharks.. As you would expect if they decide to join which is very much still up in the air, you would expect a certain bunch of lab and bb players would be contacted as is well within the clubs right.. It's unfortunate that the lists are only 35. I would think there would be room for add ons.
A mini draft alas sanfl may be used to disperse the 22-35's on the list out to QAFL clubs.
But at the end of the day as seems to be the common theme.. There is no talent pathway as evident by the backlog of phone calls to Brisbane based player management company Velocity Sports ,who look after our best kids up here, from Sanfl and Wafl clubs

Very good point premier, I agree 100%. A late maturing 19-20yo in QLD will be very hard for recruiters to detect in the QAFL. I also agree regarding Morningside, not all clubs need huge $$$ to be successful, surely a little help from head office here and they have a very high functioning and successful team. Why would they let them go down to the QAFL and then fund a whole new team from Yeronga? Surely throwing some $$ at them would be a far cheaper and more sensible alternative.

1 team on the Gold Coast is a poor decision also IMO. If someone at Southport decide they don't rate/like a certain player, they have to travel at least an hour up the road or move interstate to play at a high level. A Southport monopoly in a market is not a good idea IMO, although they would be ecstatic at the idea.

It won't be long though and the QAFL/ QSFL / QAFL / AFLQ / NEAFL (did I miss any?) will change again.

Agree with all the recent posts regarding the new comp. I would doubt any club would enter under the suggested guidelines.
Does there need to be any changes to the number of teams?
Does 3 teams on the coast work? And if so who should drop out then?
If it goes ahead as forecast - will the new QAFL be any better than Div 1 other than a few teams that are struggling drop out. I doubt it.

The VFL clubs have already drawn up a list and are beginning to contact our best mature age possiblities, they are absolutely rubbing their hands together.
Pathway gents, unless your are seriously connected in Yeronga or if you are the current world champion cheese thrower and the AFL wants to market to your demographic.Then only two pathways exist for you the Pacific and the Newell...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too many supporting the new comp (1).... And have to agree with most posts. How can this be good for footy in Queensland? Less teams, less opportunities for kids, less player development, less kids playing at NEAFL level, less kids playing top up with Suns and Lions given that they can play 22 players! Agree with Life's a Beach, quality young players will leave queensland and seek opportunities elsewhere. Is this really a good plan for Qld footy. Is this want we want from a so called elite comp? Surely someone at AFLQ must wake up and say, damn I made a blue! Wonder if they have the courage to fix it or the arrogance to say stuff it, it was my plan!

Very un-educated speedy, Aspley for what i have heard are siding with all other clubs. Just because they have money doesn't mean they are going to throw there in the ring. Why throw money down the drain. Going down this track just allows more ex AFL players into the system to plunder the clubs. Then where does that leave the youth. I thought the NEAFL was set up so the youth could be show cased. As stated by others this is just to assist the AFL players that don't get a game each week. Why don't they start there own comp and leave the clubs out of it. Crap idea but look on the bright side this seems to have everyone except speedy thinking the same.
i am alowed to have an opinion and my football education may surprise you.......

I'll be devils advocate here. Agree with Speedy in many respects too - the Div 1 comp will be a great comp that i think many clubs will love to be part of. Alot of assumptions here too from some - that the AFL currently rate the NEAFL comp as a pathway good enough to judge a wannabe AFL player is one. Maybe they don't? Maybe they believe that it won't ever reach the heights of the VFL/SANFL/WAFL no matter how many $$ are thrown in? If this is the case, then why would they continue to throw money at it just bc some clubs believe they should ALWAYS be in the top level. Morningside is a great football club, very successful, produced a reasonable share of very good AFL footballers, but at the same time, does it pay its way? Is it subsidised to exist? If so then i think this is where the playing field is going to change. You must be able to support yourself.

As for the new proposed comp, if a kid like say Conway was to play at Aspley next year and play well in this comp against the AFL clubs, etc then I would think his potential to be drafted is greatly enhanced rather than playing in the current NEAFL where potentially he could be playing against some average (or non AFL quality) players in the bottom teams on a regular basis. The NEAFL is designed pure and simply to showcase the best draftable talent with a few others thrown in, not to be a comp that allows history to determine who should remain.
I do agree with the opinion though that 1 team on the GC is crazy - should be 2, one at either end of the coast imo.

Dog - if boys are ringing VS or fielding phone calls from VFL sides then good luck to them. Obviously they have decided they aren't going to be good enough to fit into one of the 4 sides in the SE corner and feel that bc there are 3x more teams in the VFL that they are a much better chance of getting a game. What they often fail to consider is that there are 10x more decent players running around down there. If the bloke can push his way into a VFL team then he is in a great pathway. We shouldn't bemoan this, no matter what path they take. I've used Zorko as an example before but he needed to win 4 B&F's before ONE club would even look at him. I reckon 1 B&F in the VFL for a bloke at 19yrs would be enough to get him in a summer program at worst.

Anyway, no doubt things will unfold and it will be very interesting to see what happens from here.

Have put the idea fwd to lions academy in relation to adding 19-22 yr olds in some kind of training capacity. A list compiled by the recruiting department. I also feel that maybe our niche is this age bracket..
Re re structure Neafl club presidents and co in a meeting as of 2 pm today.
Still lets not have a crack at the sharks.. As you would expect if they decide to join which is very much still up in the air, you would expect a certain bunch of lab and bb players would be contacted as is well within the clubs right.. It's unfortunate that the lists are only 35. I would think there would be room for add ons.
A mini draft alas sanfl may be used to disperse the 22-35's on the list out to QAFL clubs.
But at the end of the day as seems to be the common theme.. There is no talent pathway as evident by the backlog of phone calls to Brisbane based player management company Velocity Sports ,who look after our best kids up here, from Sanfl and Wafl clubs

Great idea to look at that age group dog and to clear it up, I'm not having a crack at southport, just the decision to create a monopoly on the GC. An example with the 19-24 yo's is Stephen Wrigley. He came to Labrador in his early 20's from Blackburne reserves in the EDFL. Under the new structure he wouldn't have got on a NEAFL list and wouldn't have met Tim Notting, Aaron Shattock and Trent Knobel that helped to propel him to getting onto a list.

Understandable that the selected NEAFL clubs will contact demoted sides for there quality players BUT it is not a foregone conclusion that players will automatically transfer. As stated player managers and sanfl, vfl and wafl clubs are circling.

SMY- just read your post. Would you rather morningside partly subsidised or the Yeronga neafl numbnuts fully subsidised?

1 correction - proposal is for 3 clubs in SEQ - not 4; but 6 in ACT/Sydney (not AFL).
Sorry yesterday - was actually incl the Suns/Lions in that number - forgot there are 2 coming from Brisbane.

Blackdog - are you suggesting the "other" Bris club will come from Yeronga way?? Assuming Aspley is the other. My understanding there will be no subsidising - one of the criteria is that a club must be able to pay its own way. Think the AFL is getting sick of throwing $$ at football clubs up this way indirectly. ie thru the AFLQ. Not sure why this is seen as such a terrible thing tbh.

I'm an old Fitzroy supporter so have become quite pragmatic about what the AFL do now. :rolleyes:

O
Sorry yesterday - was actually incl the Suns/Lions in that number - forgot there are 2 coming from Brisbane.

Blackdog - are you suggesting the "other" Bris club will come from Yeronga way?? Assuming Aspley is the other. My understanding there will be no subsidising - one of the criteria is that a club must be able to pay its own way. Think the AFL is getting sick of throwing $$ at football clubs up this way indirectly. ie thru the AFLQ. Not sure why this is seen as such a terrible thing tbh.

I'm an old Fitzroy supporter so have become quite pragmatic about what the AFL do now. :rolleyes:

Others have suggested on here that if morningside and Redlands don't comply and/or apply the plan is to start a new team and run it out of Yeronga. The cost of that and to start a team with no volunteers, supporter base or structure seems absolute rubbish. It may be a rumour but if true it makes little sense to me.

That would be a disgrace if it occurred and AFLQ would find themselves at complete loggerheads with the entire football community - and I would think that would include the Lions and Suns - who have been happy in the existing format. Imagine the Massive crowd puller - New no name Yeronga team no volunteers and history v Sydney Uni!

That is firmly plan b I believe. If aspley and morningside/Redlands opt out then 2 new franchises will be created. One on the south (yeronga) and one on the north ( burpengary ). Info I got yesterday is aspley are still unsure. They are tossing up if it Is better to be in it now and if fox footy get on board as has been suggested then that would only enhance there club moving fwd.. Verse whether the player drain and expenditure is at all worth it. Stats show that Aspley are running at about 90-95% local talent. That's a far cry from 2 yrs ago. If they were to enter that list would be vastly different next yr.

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back