NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Regarding the state game. AFLQ has played against AFL ACT as the state game plenty of times over the years and to me this is the same but instead of calling it Queensland v ACT they have used the NEAFL names instead. Given the Eastern Conference has 2 more teams to draw players from, they may be a better match as QLD has dominated these games for a while now. They have not IMO disregarded state footy, and given the NT boys have been representing "QLD", to call it the NEAFL Northern Conference team is more accurate.

I agree that given the good showing against WA last year over there it would have been good to host them this year or even a SANFL but lets not get too concerned about what has been organised. The game against ACT or Eastern Conference is ok.

Sadly the state under 21's game seems to have been taken away. I would have thought the under 21's against the Pineapple Cup rep team would have been good and could be staged in Brisbane for little cost. They used to play the VAFA, not sure what has happened there.

Does anyone know if this game is definately off or on? Like the PHC idea though, at least it gives the young brigade something to aspire to.

Most clubs really taking steps ahead, Thunder still the benchmark, have signed some of the top ntfl players inc a guy (name leaves my head) who was the 2011 south adelaide sanfl mvp.

Ladder prediction atm:

Thunder- The collingwood of the league both in ability/fan base.
Hornets- Should take that next step
Vultures- Can see them improving
Suns- List improving and a couple more senior guys like mcqualter.
Cats- Heard good things but who have they signed?
Panthers- Rookie coach keeps them mid table
Sharks- Their pre season training group looks unspectacular
Bombers- Any news out of the bay?
Lions- Will be around the bottom despite their list improving
Tigers- Signed no one and lost Wrigley/Jones (top 2 in club mvp)

I generally agree with your thinking bbscout. My opinion is as useless as anyones so here goes:

Thunder- Into the 4th year of a 5 year deal in the comp. I reckon the AFL would like them to go into the SANFL come 2014 and into the AFL by 2020. Need to dominate for this to happen.

Suns- Came 3rd in H&A when they were trying last year- all of their young fellas are a year older now as well. They will know each others game better and will not get bumped off the ball by bigger bodies like last year. Will whack a couple of teams IMO. Hopefully they remain fair dinkum in finals as last year was disappointing.

Mt Gravatt- Have a habit of being top couple and IMO the sale of game to NT last year cost them GF spot (2nd best team all year for mine). Lost nobody of note as far as I have heard. Will be around the mark again, and keen to do well in Foxtel Cup.

Broadbeach- Maintained a young improving list and have picked up a couple by all reports. Zorko/Walton out will hurt but look to Brewer, Emery and Geary to step up. Rob Martin and Wayne Petterd as assistant coaches are good additions.

Sharks- Can't see them missing finals 2 years running and lets not forget they won 7 of 9 late last year. Harvey, Kiel, Burge in and only Payne of note out as far as I know. Could go higher.

Hornets- Did very well last year. They seem to cop a bagging on this site regularly and I really don't understand why. A few terrific recruits (Payne, Manzone apparently and the guy from WA etc) and good development of some young players but the loss of some key players like Shir, Brittain, Page, Stavenuter and others (if the reports are true) will prevent them from going higher.

Morningside- Lost Yagmoor, Bell and Allen to AFL a top effort by a single club. Lost Lillico, Gough and Clark to retirement. Brown to Mayne. Abey/Tomlinson not getting any younger. Got some good young ones coming through but lack the $$$ to recruit in big numbers, but one or two from Canberra. Will slide IMO but often find a way to defy logic.

Lions- Proud and Fevola off list so therefore the NEAFL side will field more listed players than last year. They seem to be heading in the right direction in the seniors as well so I expect them to improve big time and could push for 5th spot. Also due to have a better year injury wise.

Redland- despite King's best efforts, the loss of Manzone, Mueller, Weightman and Johnstone will hurt. Webster a good pick up but on the balance of things I expect the Bombers win 1-2 less games than last year and finish 1 place lower.

Labrador- Always dangerous picking a team for the spoon as they often prove you wrong. But losing Jones to VFL, Wrigley to Lions as well as Stockdale and Shattock hurts. Moore back to Western Magpies??? could leave them not as strong as they have been in the ruck. On the plus side recovering from injury are Howard and Notting, and I heard they got 1 or 2 fringe VFL players. Competitive, will win a few games (5 maybe) but for mine will not improve from last year and in this comp you must get better every year just to get the same result.

Impossible to do without knowing lists...but hey..lets crystal ball:

Vultures- 2012 is our year - new coach Andy Mellor holds the reins of an emerging talented group. Yes,the 2011 finals series was disappointing but we learm, we grow and we go a step further! Hated the sale of a home game tho to NT last year...grrrrr

Thunder- Yup..the real deal...seem to have a few advantages over the humble club in terms of resources, $, and playing facilities. Good luck to them, but reckon they may not be as dominant this year

Sharks- No idea who they have recruited but reckon cards are close to their chest. Keep hearing they throw money at big names only to hear they havent got them! Hudson, Macauley, Twomey...Payne a massive loss...Proud Club and wont take lighty to being 1st time finals watchers. Reckon Cotter has been given an open cheque book to get who they need...which may mean a bunch of new employees to the Musgrave Hill Gardening Firm.....will rebound! Must get some marquee signings given their financial strength....

Hornets- Good recruiting to take place of obvious losses. These guys could be the new Sharks in a very short time. Great junior base - rich licensed club - seem like a 90's version of the Sharks huh?? - and that spells trouble for others!

Cats- Liked em last year but reckon they under achieved. Yup, made progression but they opened the season like dynamite and finished the same way. Went AWOL mid year. If they can remedy and replace Zorko and Walton (huge ask) they may be in the mix. No news of new signings but hear from here that Eagle and co (Geary, Curtis, Emery Brewer) have stayed.

Suns- Reckon Mcqualter may be permanent captain in this group to groom young blokes. Hear they dont get the same concessions as last year re 53 - 56(?) or so from their list and pick of every bloody clubs best - thank god - hated that last year. Let them play their list and top up from GC under ages - not on Clubs senior list. No more genorosity at the expense of others who could have/should have played finals.Their effort in finals series confirmed not worthy of so many concessions!

Bombers- New Coach, new CDM and new Footy Manager. Reckon Marty King is a coup...knows footy and knows what is required....their issue is that they have under achieved for a while...looked spectacular in some games this year but went missing in plenty.. Heard Travis Johnstone cost the earth and proved that cheque book reruiting doesnt work

Panthers- Great Club, but how can they handle the turmoil of losing so many experienced players, so many young guns and their long serving coach? Must slide

Lions- Must be better than 2011..surely? Some woeful performances. Dont think you will see Zorko back at this level. His efforts in State Game suggest he will be with the big boys......just wonder if the kids really want it

Tigers- Wrigley & Jones massive losses as is Stockdale.....couple of blokes apparently with VFL experience will help, but reckon they may struggle..word is they have some guns........lets hope they dont shoot blanks

Impossible to do without knowing lists...but hey..lets crystal ball:

Vultures- 2012 is our year - new coach Andy Mellor holds the reins of an emerging talented group. Yes,the 2011 finals series was disappointing but we learm, we grow and we go a step further! Hated the sale of a home game tho to NT last year...grrrrr

Thunder- Yup..the real deal...seem to have a few advantages over the humble club in terms of resources, $, and playing facilities. Good luck to them, but reckon they may not be as dominant this year

Sharks- No idea who they have recruited but reckon cards are close to their chest. Keep hearing they throw money at big names only to hear they havent got them! Hudson, Macauley, Twomey...Payne a massive loss...Proud Club and wont take lighty to being 1st time finals watchers. Reckon Cotter has been given an open cheque book to get who they need...which may mean a bunch of new employees to the Musgrave Hill Gardening Firm.....will rebound! Must get some marquee signings given their financial strength....

Hornets- Good recruiting to take place of obvious losses. These guys could be the new Sharks in a very short time. Great junior base - rich licensed club - seem like a 90's version of the Sharks huh?? - and that spells trouble for others!

Cats- Liked em last year but reckon they under achieved. Yup, made progression but they opened the season like dynamite and finished the same way. Went AWOL mid year. If they can remedy and replace Zorko and Walton (huge ask) they may be in the mix. No news of new signings but hear from here that Eagle and co (Geary, Curtis, Emery Brewer) have stayed.

Suns- Reckon Mcqualter may be permanent captain in this group to groom young blokes. Hear they dont get the same concessions as last year re 53 - 56(?) or so from their list and pick of every bloody clubs best - thank god - hated that last year. Let them play their list and top up from GC under ages - not on Clubs senior list. No more genorosity at the expense of others who could have/should have played finals.Their effort in finals series confirmed not worthy of so many concessions!

Bombers- New Coach, new CDM and new Footy Manager. Reckon Marty King is a coup...knows footy and knows what is required....their issue is that they have under achieved for a while...looked spectacular in some games this year but went missing in plenty.. Heard Travis Johnstone cost the earth and proved that cheque book reruiting doesnt work

Panthers- Great Club, but how can they handle the turmoil of losing so many experienced players, so many young guns and their long serving coach? Must slide

Lions- Must be better than 2011..surely? Some woeful performances. Dont think you will see Zorko back at this level. His efforts in State Game suggest he will be with the big boys......just wonder if the kids really want it

Tigers- Wrigley & Jones massive losses as is Stockdale.....couple of blokes apparently with VFL experience will help, but reckon they may struggle..word is they have some guns........lets hope they dont shoot blanks

Contradicting yourself here Maurie.You say Panthers will slide for the above reasons,but Vultures in same boat with new coach and loss of experience players including a recent Grogan Medalist,Adam Tarrant,one of the best defenders in comp.Panthers always produce young local talent,club gives them a go unlike some.Rogi and the boys will be finals bound once again and then a new season starts finals time.
If Aspley do not win GF next year,they must be odds on atm,when will they?

Contradicting yourself here Maurie.You say Panthers will slide for the above reasons,but Vultures in same boat with new coach and loss of experience players including a recent Grogan Medalist,Adam Tarrant,one of the best defenders in comp.Panthers always produce young local talent,club gives them a go unlike some.Rogi and the boys will be finals bound once again and then a new season starts finals time.

Yeah I know Chikka..love is blind...:D

x Lion and Vulture D White has been banned from playing up in Darwin.Been suspended to many weeks.Max amount is 15 weeks in total.Outrageous rule.Has appealed.Don't no how to upload articles.Is on Nt sport web site

Source: Northern Territory News
Darryl White played 268 games for the Brisbane Lions, including three premierships. Source: Herald Sun
BRISBANE Lions champion Darryl White has been banned from playing football for life by a Darwin tribunal.
White was deregistered under the ruling that places a life ban on players suspended for more than 15 games.
The NT News reports White's one-match ban for striking Tiwi Bomber Donald Mungatopi took his lifetime suspensions to 16 games - one above the maximum allowed under the new AFLNT deregistration policy.
The Australia-wide ban effectively ends a playing career that began in the under-13s with Pioneers in the CAFL 30 years ago.
An AFLNT Hall of Famer and a member of the AFL Indigenous Team of the Century, 38-year-old White played 268 games with Brisbane, including the 2001, 2002 and 2003 premierships.
He transferred to St Marys this year after a post-AFL career with Darwin and Brisbane club Mt Gravatt.
White could not be contacted, but St Marys president Shaun Hardy said his new recruit was devastated at the news and indicated he would appeal.
"I can tell you Darryl is devastated and wants to set the record straight, but we'll have to wait until after the competition resumes on January 7," Hardy said.
The AFL Players Association is believed to be keen to get involved in the case.

do you mean local Brisbane talent not local Mside talent, they do develop local QLD kids well tip my hat for them for that and once they go there they stay

Bonney,Allen,Yagmoore,Holman,Bourke - all western brisbane talent
Brown twins,Doc Tomilinson,Upton, Logan,Fewkes,Lucy - all country kids
C.Brown - Mayne
Clarke - Springwood
Abey,Mugavin,Potter - interstate

do you mean local Brisbane talent not local Mside talent, they do develop local QLD kids well tip my hat for them for that and once they go there they stay

Bonney,Allen,Yagmoore,Holman,Bourke - all western brisbane talent
Brown twins,Doc Tomilinson,Upton, Logan,Fewkes,Lucy - all country kids
C.Brown - Mayne
Clarke - Springwood
Abey,Mugavin,Potter - interstate

Both.Bluey Bell top example

I would have said in answer to this question the playing surface is like your playing staff - if you dont look after it (or them) it dissappears (or they).

Some clubs like Southport let the grass grow out over summer and plant/seed a winter grass each season... So I wouldnt be too concerned... Only ground that needs to be looked after properly in the GABBA?? For cricket in summer and footy in the winter...

Hey all you posters on this forum, may I say merry xmas and happy new year to you all.We have a great forum here,so lets keep it at the quality level its at.All the best for your club in 2012 and may it be the year of the Cats. yeah, yeah.
Merry xmas to all of you'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Word around the traps is that Jay Neagle from Essendon is heading to Broadbeach

Havent heard of this one. I do predict that Broadbeach may have some surprises in the recruitment stakes, not yet announced, but I hope this one,,, be it Jay Neagle is not one of those surprises . He is at the elite level but delisted by Essendon this year cause of his chronic ankle problems which saw him only play some 28 games in 4 years.Thus, with this chronic injury problem the same will occur regardless of where he intends to play. Unfortunate for the guy , but thats how it is, and I hope Broadbeach havent recruited him for these reasons only. very risky.

Havent heard of this one. I do predict that Broadbeach may have some surprises in the recruitment stakes, not yet announced, but I hope this one,,, be it Jay Neagle is not one of those surprises . He is at the elite level but delisted by Essendon this year cause of his chronic ankle problems which saw him only play some 28 games in 4 years.Thus, with this chronic injury problem the same will occur regardless of where he intends to play. Unfortunate for the guy , but thats how it is, and I hope Broadbeach havent recruited him for these reasons only. very risky.

Reasons only,meaning he has been a elite level player.

If not 2012 deffinately 2013 if the squad stays together. Good youngsters that have played over or close to 50 games now that are at an age of 22 and below (eg. Reid, Stanley, Hughes, Thomson, Hutchinson, Toye, Colch, Bevan, Mckee, James and Ives) exciting things to come for the hornets! possibly the next southport

Not sure about that Study - often the reduced training load at the lower levels helps blokes cope a bit better with chronic injuries - he is a big enough hooa just to stand in the goalsquare and klunk a few. Reckon he would be more than handy at this level with half decent delivery. He's definitely got ability I reckon.

If not 2012 deffinately 2013 if the squad stays together. Good youngsters that have played over or close to 50 games now that are at an age of 22 and below (eg. Reid, Stanley, Hughes, Thomson, Hutchinson, Toye, Colch, Bevan, Mckee, James and Ives) exciting things to come for the hornets! possibly the next southport

Toye,Laskey and Ives will get drafted next yr if they are both fit and healthy.Top young players

i have to agree with all the thoughts on Aspley for next season.Word is there is still an ex gold coast sun and vulture to join the club which will add even more to the club's stocks of running players

Careful Chikka - some ppl get very sensitive on here when it is half suggested that Aspley aren't that flash at bringing their juniors thru....

Not sure about Laskey getting drafted (hope he does, good young fella but a bit short on leg speed I would have thought for his size) but next year is certainly the year that few will IMO. Some reasonable 17's below the top age boys too. Saying this its not a great track record for Qld 18's in recent years - seems that they might be more of a chance as a mature age player?

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back