NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Careful Chikka - some ppl get very sensitive on here when it is half suggested that Aspley aren't that flash at bringing their juniors thru....

Not sure about Laskey getting drafted (hope he does, good young fella but a bit short on leg speed I would have thought for his size) but next year is certainly the year that few will IMO. Some reasonable 17's below the top age boys too. Saying this its not a great track record for Qld 18's in recent years - seems that they might be more of a chance as a mature age player?

Should clarify this.Mean all juniors Northside up to Gympie playing at highest level.Tom Overington is a top example.Made a huge impression in State U18 carnival this year as a late inclusion.Scouts very impressed.Played at Sandgate this year so why wouldn't he play at Aspley instead of training at Mt Gravatt atm?

Toye,Laskey and Ives will get drafted next yr if they are both fit and healthy.Top young players
Next years draft said to be strong Aust wide, so for Qld to get more than it's usual 2 - 3 18 year olds drafted will be a good effort. That said Ives is a good talent and will get his chance to impress for state 18's after missing out with injury this year so if plays well could be a chance. Not sure about other 2 mentioned chances next year in such a strong draft given older. Wagner also from Aspley and played all state under 18's games as 17 year old this year and then few senior games later in year - would think if he has a good year this year will be looked at at least?

A few in next years 18's group have a chance - Bourke and Cameron would seem to be best chances to be drafted at this early stage, but Boston had good year for state 18's and broadbeach as 17 yo this year, so if impresses at state level again this year must be in mix. Could be a few others as well looked at as well, depending on how they perform at state level.

Next years draft said to be strong Aust wide, so for Qld to get more than it's usual 2 - 3 18 year olds drafted will be a good effort. That said Ives is a good talent and will get his chance to impress for state 18's after missing out with injury this year so if plays well could be a chance. Not sure about other 2 mentioned chances next year in such a strong draft given older. Wagner also from Aspley and played all state under 18's games as 17 year old this year and then few senior games later in year - would think if he has a good year this year will be looked at at least?

A few in next years 18's group have a chance - Bourke and Cameron would seem to be best chances to be drafted at this early stage, but Boston had good year for state 18's and broadbeach as 17 yo this year, so if impresses at state level again this year must be in mix. Could be a few others as well looked at as well, depending on how they perform at state level.
My predictions for next years draft (definates not maybes)
Ives,Boston and Bourke, in 12 months time if i am wrong lay it on me.....

Ives and Wagner both showed this year that they can play senior footy at neafl level. If Ives can staf fit he will be drafted. He will improve out of sight playing alongside Micah and Payne.

Broadbeach maybe not as strong as people think. Lost Rolfe brothers and Fulton to Surfers Paradise, that club will be legit in the div 2 comp!

Broadbeach maybe not as strong as people think. Lost Rolfe brothers and Fulton to Surfers Paradise, that club will be legit in the div 2 comp!

bballscout, appreciate your comment, but in reality, the Rolfe brothers in 2011 were in and out of the senior side all year, and in a lot of games started on the bench.Still ok players, but certainly not the first ones picked at selection table each week.I feel they see that since the club has got stronger, thus its now more competitive to maintain a senior spot , they have decided to move down a level where they will run out with the senior side on a weekend, not the magoos.And good on them, as whatever standard comp you play in, there is nothing like being in the seniors on gameday.. and i could be totally wrong on this,,,there may be other reasons.
In regards to Fulton, well, he still has the ability to play at NEAFL level even at 35 years of age. But he didnt help himself by refusing to play in the magoos after missing 4 weeks with injury,playing with Palm Beach on permit for a game( and kicked 12 goals) for match fitness and obviously expected his return to be in the seniors,,,,, and as a result didnt play again for the club.At first I thought the club was wrong with this decision, but after thoughts I now agree with the clubs decision for obvious reasons. In summary, yes the loss of these players is a negative but not a substantial one. The loss of Zorko , well no more to be said about that ,and Walton, whom was a hard ball winner on both attack and defence , as well as being able to play to the coaching staffs game plan are the big negatives.I guess the brains trust have made all efforts to cover this. Time will tell wont it.

Agree these are 3 possibles (with Cameron I think - AIS, doing preseason with Suns, hardworking good kid) - not sure anyone definite at this stage.

No doubt Ives can play, but at his size has lots of competition. Played with injury for at least part of state 16 carinval last year so wasnt at his best, and missed most of this year with injury (and played no state games), so would think he needs to perform next year before hes a definite.

Would think recruiters would definitely want to see how Qld boys perform in the Qld 18 team (no matter how the team does overall - hopefully they perform a bit better next year), especially against the Div 1 teams (the stated reason that the Div 2 states now play 2 games against the Div 1 states each year was a request by recruiters to be able to measure the potentially draftable boys from Div 2 states against the best players from accross the country), so not sure anyone wanting to be considered for draft would not be wanting to play for Qld (different for boys who know they arent at that standard / wanting to go down that path - might prefer to play for club)

No doubt if Qld team could be more competive next year would help Qld boys chances generally

And cant hurt training at present with Suns and Lions academy staff - with Suns having zone priority picks again next year and both teams being able to prelist Qld boys in the rookie draft, higher chance of qld boys being picked up locally if good enough than in past - being known must help if you are a borderline rookie choice (as long as you are seen as of good character / hard worker etc - the opposite would clearly be counterproductive! )

Playing for the state 18s isn't the be all and end all. Not playing for them will end your chances of being drafted. Don't you think they can make up their own minds.

Not sure what point you are trying to make Damochandler? Id say being part of the State 18's is a critical part of being drafted. Your post is confusing.

I know its Christmas/New Year and a bunch of people are off work, but AFL, AFLQ and others need to take a hard look at themselves re updating the public, Clubs, supporters, etc on the NEAFL website. For a supposed 2nd tier competition, the service provided has become amateurish.....and significantly worse than the old QAFL.

To put it into perspective, there has only been two Northern Conference updates since the 24th October - one to advertise for new coaching positions at Redland and the other to announce the new coach at NT...the latest being 9th November.

Clearly the people in this forum have interest in the comp and would like to see real news and stories about recruiting etc, rather than hear the rumour mill.

We will be given a bunch of reasons why the web site information flow has fallen behind...staff losses etc.,.but frankly its just not good enough..AFL....fix your problem before your "second tier" brand becomes damaged..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know its Christmas/New Year and a bunch of people are off work, but AFL, AFLQ and others need to take a hard look at themselves re updating the public, Clubs, supporters, etc on the NEAFL website. For a supposed 2nd tier competition, the service provided has become amateurish.....and significantly worse than the old QAFL.

To put it into perspective, there has only been two Northern Conference updates since the 24th October - one to advertise for new coaching positions at Redland and the other to announce the new coach at NT...the latest being 9th November.

Clearly the people in this forum have interest in the comp and would like to see real news and stories about recruiting etc, rather than hear the rumour mill.

We will be given a bunch of reasons why the web site information flow has fallen behind...staff losses etc.,.but frankly its just not good enough..AFL....fix your problem before your "second tier" brand becomes damaged..

Spot on Maurie. Ive been saying this for ages. The lack of media exposure to the general public is shocking,not only the website(at the moment) but the newspapers etc etc.The promotion of the Neafl in QLD, is crook, at best the courier mail and Gold Coast bulletin will preview/report on the current round in a 2 inch by one inch space.Whereas the NT news has the Thunder plastered in every issue and the Canberra papers highlight their
league as a major sporting comp.If you look at the media in country victoria , the same promotion applys, and it draws crowds thru the gate,gains club membership etc ,etc.Which results in much needed revenue for the clubs.
I mean a home and away clash that may be the match of the day here is lucky 2 attract say 500 people.The major leagues in country vic would attract some 2000 people in the same scenario.
Whilst the standard of the NEAFL rises on a playing field, this lack of media support is not helping in any way to attract the viewing public.

Labrador- Always dangerous picking a team for the spoon as they often prove you wrong. But losing Jones to VFL, Wrigley to Lions as well as Stockdale and Shattock hurts. Moore back to Western Magpies??? could leave them not as strong as they have been in the ruck. On the plus side recovering from injury are Howard and Notting, and I heard they got 1 or 2 fringe VFL players. Competitive, will win a few games (5 maybe) but for mine will not improve from last year and in this comp you must get better every year just to get the same result.

Notting, Howard, M Clarke, Davey & Cavanagh missed with injury or carried injuries most of the season, the problem was lack of depth to the list, the Tigers top 10 players as good as any but fell away and injury exposed them.Huge upside in Grayson, Gugliotta, Davey, White, Goldsmith, Cavanagh and a couple of young players who might surprise the hell out of this comp.They have concentrated on depth of list and specific positions, get 2010 output out of Notting, M Clarke and Howard.Then you underestimate the Tiger at you peril.

For what it is worth also heard that Under 21's game Northern Conf v Eastern Conference was being looked at and made logical sense.

We are not a Qld comp anymore and I for one thought that all things including Hughson, Grogan medal etc should have been looked at last year.

I have a stat for everyone to comment on why is it that if you win the Southport B & F you win the Grogan medal ( Wise, Payne ) bit if you win the Labrador B & F you dont get a vote ( Clarke, Wrigley ).Only two possible answers by the way.

Wonder if thats the whole Brain family then Snorkle - if so they would have needed a good sized bus!:)

family owns a pub up the coast! off the planet the old brain train, just heard today that roy is gone aswell! Now think to myself how are aspley going to gel with pretty much a new team

Wonder if thats the whole Brain family then Snorkle - if so they would have needed a good sized bus!:)

family owns a pub up the coast! off the planet the old brain train, just heard today that roy is gone aswell! Now think to myself how are aspley going to gel with pretty much a new team

A few guns in the new team though. Can anybody shed any light at all on Mt Gravatt- any losses or gains. Maurie is confident - what does he know that we don't?

A few guns in the new team though. Can anybody shed any light at all on Mt Gravatt- any losses or gains. Maurie is confident - what does he know that we don't?

nothing but spoon! gilliland wants to have a meeting with aspley! Lake,Vearing,Fufaro all getting older. James wants to play with aspley.
Good Luck maurie:)

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back