Thunder v Giants - NT to smack em
Morningside v Redland - too good

Suns v Swans - Reckon Swans look light on
Labrador v Hills Eagles - Tigers get the BYE
Mt Gravatt v Lions - Vultures shock !
Broadbeach v Quenbeyan - ACT team to shock
Thunder v Giants - NT to smack em
Morningside v Redland - too good
Redlands easy over fat and slow Panthers.
Brisbane in a close one.
Thunder. Unbeatable in top end.
Broad beach. Must win game.
Labrador easy. %age booster.
Suns. Hoping for Swans win.

Internal inquiry occuring.Other proof is no Canberra team should win let alone kick 145 points against a Northern Conference Team.
Gee Staminade there's a saying " what go around come around". Did Broady just get done at home by a Canberra team. And at home big mouth

Gee Staminade there's a saying " what go around come around". Did Broady just get done at home by a Canberra team. And at home big mouth

staminade - Rookie?
Internal inquiry occuring.Other proof is no Canberra team should win let alone kick 145 points against a Northern Conference Team.​

Redlands easy over fat and slow Panthers.
Brisbane in a close one.
Thunder. Unbeatable in top end.
Broad beach. Must win game.
Labrador easy. %age booster.
Suns. Hoping for Swans win.
Gee Staminade there's a saying " what go around come around". id Broady just get done at home by a Canberra team. And at home big mouth
We did get rolled and it wasn't pretty. Ashamed to sit on hill today and watch this pathetic effort. In a small positive still in contention for 5th spot spot unlike the high spending pretenders called Aspley. Any truth A challenge against Tucker as President occurring?

Would like a report on the Queanbeyan/broadbeach game.
Anyone keen?
Not a bad day for Eastern.
Don't think the Giants will get within 15 goals NT but great win by Hills and Tigers.
Queanbeyan were to quick all over the ground. They ran harder in groups and performed a lot of the basics eg, one up two down, if behind in a marking contest they punched /spoiled at all times and their disposal was good.Whereas my Cats, didnt do these things and once again their disposal of the pill was poor CREATING MANY TURNOVERS.
Was impressed by Queanbeyan.... see why they are on top of the ladder. Kavanagh and Quade were very good and the coach Klemke is a gun player.(see he is only 22 years of age).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Queanbeyan were to quick all over the ground. They ran harder in groups and performed a lot of the basics eg, one up two down, if behind in a marking contest they punched /spoiled at all times and their disposal was good.Whereas my Cats, didnt do these things and once again their disposal of the pill was poor CREATING MANY TURNOVERS.
Was impressed by Queanbeyan.... see why they are on top of the ladder. Kavanagh and Quade were very good and the coach Klemke is a gun player.(see he is only 22 years of age).

Thanks Stuyd1. We didn't get any info on the game down here so appreciate the report. How did Neagle go and how has his year been?

Neagle is a gun at this level. Beautiful kick both long and short, good hands, vision and good defensively.
You guys were good today. Very fast and your one percenters were great... the kind of things required to win finals games.

We did get rolled and it wasn't pretty. Ashamed to sit on hill today and watch this pathetic effort. In a small positive still in contention for 5th spot spot unlike the high spending pretenders called Aspley. Any truth A challenge against Tucker as President occurring?

I just noticed Roadkills comments regarding your star studded teams fall from grace on the weekend - so much promise from the Cats after their big recruting drive only to be humbled by a good team (on the day) from our capital city. I would say your chance of whatching the Cats play in the finals is slim at best again this year (even with Aspleys gift of giving you a home game after the big wet), they will need to pull a rabbit out of the hat to get in and then play out of their skins to go deep if they do make it.

No word heard around the club on a Tony Tucker challenge this rot always comes up at this time of the year, I havent seen Tony out there playing and letting his club and his team mates down - the state league side may be struggling this year but the club is booming with record number of members, so given that next year's season is only 8 months away I am sure there is a cunning plan in place as they seek to change the fortunes of a very average year into one of great things to come for the 2013 NEAFL season and beyond, they have played more juniors than any other club in the NEAFL this year and the rewards of that will pay off in the next couple of years and then onward for the years to come, for the record I think Russell Evans is a stand out coach in this league and given the opportunities with the players whom he has been grooming over the last few years he too will share in these young guy's and the clubs future sucsess .

Gee - it is very quiet around here.
Looks like my predictions for the year with Southport are spot on.
Training load has been very high recently before the taper into finals. Expecting a cracker game in NT this week - think this could be a preview of the GF.
I think the ladder has panned out as expected. GC is clearly the better side outside of the top 3.
Redland has been a success story. Good to see they have put the recruiting drive on hold and getting benefits from last years reserves.
Would have thought that Broady and Aspley would be excited with all the young talent they have. On top in reserves and kids in seniors.

Training load has been very high recently before the taper into finals. Expecting a cracker game in NT this week - think this could be a preview of the GF.
I think the ladder has panned out as expected. GC is clearly the better side outside of the top 3.
Redland has been a success story. Good to see they have put the recruiting drive on hold and getting benefits from last years reserves.
Would have thought that Broady and Aspley would be excited with all the young talent they have. On top in reserves and kids in seniors.

Pretty much spot on. The AFL sides, NT and Soutport always going to hard to beat as they are all 1 million + operations (now the Lions have got their act together). Almost feels as if the other 6 teams are battling for the 1 spot. A concern for the comp IMO, and I tend to agree with some of what LAB was saying a week ago-the other clubs and the comp in general needs more support from the AFL. Marketing etc.

Of the rest, Redland have clearly been the surprise packet this year. Good on them and no doubt Marty King a contributing factor there. Aspley, Cats, Labrador, and Mt G would have all fancied themselves to sneak in to finals at the start of the year and have all therefore disappointed, and I agree the Hornets and Cats look to have some good young ones coming through (a really good tied reserves game last w/e). Labrador started well with the benefit of a favourable draw early in the season and obviously have faded as injuries have hit and they started getting stronger opponents. Mt G have had a shocker and their list (especially before losing proud etc) is better than what they have dished up. Some morale issues there for sure as some of the hidings they have copped just should not have happened. Morningside probably knew at the start of the year that it would be tough losing 9 or so out of the GF side. A few injuries to some experienced boys hasn't helped, but having 8 kids in the state u18's and many of them now playing senior NEAFL should see them improve in the next couple of years.

Overall you would have to say the NEAFL concept has been a good one, just hope a few more dollars are spent marketing the competition next year. It will be interesting to see how this points system is structured and how it affects the comp. I agree with trying to encourage clubs to develop rather than buy players, but if the rules are not well considered, you could have a situation where NEAFL clubs start bidding for local 16 year olds and a dropping of the overall standard of the comp. Hopefully the powers consider all this and get the points system right.

With all the pre-season hype and recruits, i don't know how Broady and Aspley could be excited. Sure they both have some kids in the seniors and reserves going well, but with that list surely there would be nothing but bitter disappointment.

Sharks look the goods, although the battle for top spot/2nd will go a long way to deciding this year. It wouldn't surprise me if the Lions fall away a little in the last 3 rounds (injuries etc...) and win 1 (maybe none) of their last 2 (they have a bye). For mine the winner of Southport and NT this week will finish on top and have the best chance to go on to win it.

Interesting comments from LAB regarding the NEAFL. It makes sense to most, that the gap between the AFL clubs, Southport, NT and the rest will widen unless some help is given. I'm sure that Micheal Conlan and Craig Miller are giving this some thought.

3 weeks left then the real stuff begins. My prediction NT for the win.

Pretty much spot on. The AFL sides, NT and Soutport always going to hard to beat as they are all 1 million + operations (now the Lions have got their act together). Almost feels as if the other 6 teams are battling for the 1 spot. A concern for the comp IMO, and I tend to agree with some of what LAB was saying a week ago-the other clubs and the comp in general needs more support from the AFL. Marketing etc.

Of the rest, Redland have clearly been the surprise packet this year. Good on them and no doubt Marty King a contributing factor there. Aspley, Cats, Labrador, and Mt G would have all fancied themselves to sneak in to finals at the start of the year and have all therefore disappointed, and I agree the Hornets and Cats look to have some good young ones coming through (a really good tied reserves game last w/e). Labrador started well with the benefit of a favourable draw early in the season and obviously have faded as injuries have hit and they started getting stronger opponents. Mt G have had a shocker and their list (especially before losing proud etc) is better than what they have dished up. Some morale issues there for sure as some of the hidings they have copped just should not have happened. Morningside probably knew at the start of the year that it would be tough losing 9 or so out of the GF side. A few injuries to some experienced boys hasn't helped, but having 8 kids in the state u18's and many of them now playing senior NEAFL should see them improve in the next couple of years.

Overall you would have to say the NEAFL concept has been a good one, just hope a few more dollars are spent marketing the competition next year. It will be interesting to see how this points system is structured and how it affects the comp. I agree with trying to encourage clubs to develop rather than buy players, but if the rules are not well considered, you could have a situation where NEAFL clubs start bidding for local 16 year olds and a dropping of the overall standard of the comp. Hopefully the powers consider all this and get the points system right.

It is vital this is done correctly. Maybe phasing in something like this would be the way to go. Give all the clubs a chance to gradually adhere. I'm not sure it can work as intended with the AFL sides and the NT in the competition. I'm sure the AFL sides would want to play against the strongest possible opponents and when you look at it, they are playing academy kids at every opportunity.

Agree

thunder to go back to back, flawless record in SEQueensland. 7 losses in 2 years at all venues, 5 (4 by narrow margins) in Alice, one in sydney with 8 boys unavailable because of Clontarf commitments and the other against this year's wooden spooners last year at Esplen Oval.

It is vital this is done correctly. Maybe phasing in something like this would be the way to go. Give all the clubs a chance to gradually adhere. I'm not sure it can work as intended with the AFL sides and the NT in the competition. I'm sure the AFL sides would want to play against the strongest possible opponents and when you look at it, they are playing academy kids at every opportunity.

Footyfanatic1,

I agree with the above comments to a point - all clubs who grasped the new NEAFL concept (with the exception of the Western Magpies) understood that they were given an opportunity in this new area of AFL football in the North and East to play at a higher level than ever before and with this their future planing was required at that time to achieve this.

We have seen the 4 AFL clubs in the most part take this NEAFL concept as an opportunity to hone in on their game style and have their players playing the type of footy that is required to get their reserve players up to the AFL level.

Southport, Mt Gravatt and Morningside were the benchmark for us originally, then the NT Thunder took over that mantle in just 1 incredible year and now the 4 AFL clubs have lifted this benchmark even further.

What was interesting to me in all of this was Southport - a benchmark powerhouse in the past, they had a big reality check by missing the finals last year and this then stung and stirred them into action and how grand that action is, by making a few subtle changes to their list they have now proved to be back and maybe stronger than ever by just making these slight adjustments to their structure.

I feel that through this all clubs need to be constantly looking to improve maybe not just their playing lists but their management of the players they already have, simular to Redland this year, these boys from Bomberland have impressed me this year with their belief in each other and a never give up attitude and when you compare their list from last year to this year not much has changed - just opportunities for some players who were pidgeon holed as good reserve players to be given a crack in the seniors and now it seems the finals await.

So in all of this IMO in order to not slip away, all non AFL along with our NT State side need to continue to lift the bar each year, maybe not so much with an influx of high priced recruits but with careful planing and even shrewder and diligent management of their current and more importantley their up and comming players, this to keep up with the new powerhouse sides of this ever growing stronger NEAF competition.

Neagle is a gun at this level. Beautiful kick both long and short, good hands, vision and good defensively.
You guys were good today. Very fast and your one percenters were great... the kind of things required to win finals games.
From what I have watched this year, I don't think Neagle is a gun at this level. I think he has great talent but I don't think he has been consistent.
Thought the Cats were well below par on the weekend. They were terrific for 90% against Redland but looked flat on the weekend. The Canberra team was very good IMO. Not sure Cats would beat them anyway.
Any news on the Poyas injury?
Seems he has a lot to do with the Cats winning and losing games.

What was interesting to me in all of this was Southport - a benchmark powerhouse in the past, they had a big reality check by missing the finals last year and this then stung and stirred them into action and how grand that action is, by making a few subtle changes to their list they have now proved to be back and maybe stronger than ever by just making these slight adjustments to their structure.

Absolutely agree with this paragraph.
Go as far as saying that the changes are not even subtle.
New recruits = Burge, Kiel, Seddon, Wish-Wilson, Pope, Crawford, Knight.
Sharks lacked hard running last year coupled with injuries. They targeted running midfielders with skills.
Add to this Mills and Hughes having a pre season and playing most games.
Sharks were 7 wins and 2 losses in the second half of last year. The comp had gone up in professionalism and we got caught napping in the first half and paid the price.
Strong leadership got the sharks back on track and only went harder and more methodical to improve.

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back