List Mgmt. Neal-Bullen nominates Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyson Edwards was 23 in 2000 where he had his breakout season under Ayres. Murphy is already 25 and not even close to what Edwards was doing as an 18-22year old.
well murphy has regressed so obviously it looks less likely now but i meant murphy was looking like being a rotation mid, edwards was maybe the premium version of that for us, but that was within murphy's grasp and he had been building nicely in previous years

They are in no way similar.

Edwards always had the talent.... just needed to get his mindset right, which came with experience.

Murphy isn't suddenly going to come a decent player after 100 games. Fact Nicks still hasn't worked out he isn't AFL standard is just another reminder Nicks will never be a decent coach... as he is not very smart!
was comparing their style of player or role but not like you to over exaggerate a point!

edwards wasn't some amazing talent too if we're going to get into that, he was building slowly. and murphy already was decent in previous years had been building nicely just something went wrong this year

was comparing their style of player or role but not like you to over exaggerate a point!

edwards wasn't some amazing talent too if we're going to get into that, he was building slowly. and murphy already was decent in previous years had been building nicely just something went wrong this year
There was no exaggeration in my post!

The comparison of the 2 is ridiculous... their styles were not alike... but keep digging a bigger hole if you must.

He did have a career best year last year, to the point where I was okay with him being in the starting 22 if one of Ranks/Rash/Peds were played as full time mids

But that’s not a high bar, and he fell well behind even that level of performance this year

He did have a career best year last year, to the point where I was okay with him being in the starting 22 if one of Ranks/Rash/Peds were played as full time mids

But that’s not a high bar, and he fell well behind even that level of performance this year

Yeah I think he definitely went past McHenry last year.
The burden of leadership has seen him come up just short of an injury affected Chayce Jones this year though.

Needs to focus on his own game next season and get himself back to better-than-McHenry levels.

agree the hate on here a little off, prior to this year was pretty decent as a lower level midfield rotation, sorta like tyson edwards style, seemed to lose a little weight this year and lost that ability, but there was some upside at one point, whereas someone like mcheny was hard to ever see any upside, but you never know with players sometimes they just find a way to come good
Wow. What a truly horrible comparison. Tyson Edwards is a great of the club. He’s a million miles from him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tyson Edwards was 23 in 2000 where he had his breakout season under Ayres. Murphy is already 25 and not even close to what Edwards was doing as an 18-22year old.
Agreed.

I don’t think that Murphy would compare all that well in ability to Chad Rintoul who might be seen as a similar type of player… but for someone to compare him in any way to Tyson Edwards …. FFS

agree the hate on here a little off, prior to this year was pretty decent as a lower level midfield rotation, sorta like tyson edwards style, seemed to lose a little weight this year and lost that ability, but there was some upside at one point, whereas someone like mcheny was hard to ever see any upside, but you never know with players sometimes they just find a way to come good
murphy has never been good at anything. throwing your body around and zero skill to match doesn't help anyone. should have stayed the mascot

Agreed.

I don’t think that Murphy would compare all that well in ability to Chad Rintoul who might be seen as a similar type of player… but for someone to compare him in any way to Tyson Edwards …. FFS
he is nowhere close to rintoul either. he is closer to a 100 game jahran jacky. the fact that he has got to 100 games is depressing

murphy has never been good at anything. throwing your body around and zero skill to match doesn't help anyone. should have stayed the mascot
We had that in Petrenko and didn't need to play him 150 games to work out he wasn't a long-term best 22 guy, so we signed Betts and drafted Cameron. With Murphy we seem to have done the same we've done with ROB and gone "yea, he's decent enough I guess" and locked him in permanently.

We had that in Petrenko and didn't need to play him 150 games to work out he wasn't a long-term best 22 guy, so we signed Betts and drafted Cameron. With Murphy we seem to have done the same we've done with ROB and gone "yea, he's decent enough I guess" and locked him in permanently.
We still gave Petrenko 76 games, when his flaws were obvious after just 20 - and never improved.

well murphy has regressed so obviously it looks less likely now but i meant murphy was looking like being a rotation mid, edwards was maybe the premium version of that for us, but that was within murphy's grasp and he had been building nicely in previous years
Has he regressed though?

He's really just... the same.

Definitely has especially his performance in the 4th quarters, he was very good in a few games last year notably against Geelong in Geelong but done shit all this year.
Right, so he's regressed from 80% of his games were shit to 100% this year.

I'm sure he must have had some positive moments.

petrenko probably had his place of course you always look for more talent, as a hff enforcer that type of player will always have a limited life, but doesn't mean they can't have a role when they're in their physical prime if you have the A graders to provide the polish

murphy i agree probably doesn't have the polish upfoward long term but showed good B grade midfield potential last year which would have probably been his path for a long term future, i don't ever remember petrenko showing that side to his game could be wrong as it was a while ago, but that's why i don't see it as a like for like comparison

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Neal-Bullen nominates Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Back