Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Tired Over It GIF by Jonas Mosesson

He lacks speed, which many do so it's not the end of the world on its own. But when you combine it with his complete lack of awareness and lack of body strength it's a recipe for disaster.

Exhibit A: today

Not all. He'll certainly never justify the 1st round pick, but I'm maintaining my opinion that there is an AFL quality player in there and he will continue to develop.
That said his output this year has been poor and I would have had him back in the 2s weeks ago. His balance between manically chasing and getting involved offensively is far too skewed.
Nicks heavily overrates forward pressure - I think is partly why he played Berry in the forward pocket so much last year - and its likely McHenry is playing as directed. If you go back and rewatch some of the games towards the end of last season where he played further up the ground he was creative along with the defensive pressure. He looked good.
He's rubbish and will never improve as be has no definable skill. I would delist end of year regardless of his contract. People need to stop being sidetracked by his huffing and puffing running around like an exerted sheep dog slight of hand. Close to the worst player to have come through the doors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mackay was so much better than McHenry will ever be
A depressing truth

Just hasn't show any improvement. Still fumbly, still rushes things, still lacks awareness.

I'm still not over not taking Curnow. The list of blunders is long. Seriously if he had any shame he would resign. In saying that he knows those in charge are too weak to sack him and he knows that.
At least with curnow its likely he would have been traded or let go as he was perenially injured and carlton have shown huge patience with his rehab...its now finally being rewarded.

I just can't understand why any coach would want a guy with poor skills playing a small forward role. He doesn't have it (and neither does Murph).

My opinion of McHenry yoyo'd the first couple of years but I think I have enough of a sample size put a line through him. He has some traits I like eg. work rate & tenacity but it doesn't make up for all the areas where he lacks (skill, speed, composure, awareness).

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back