Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL

Tasmanian Chayce Jones’ exceptional carnival saw him named in the midfield, while Brisbane Lions academy member Connor McFadyen and Mariners bottom-ager Mitch O’Neill were named on the interchange bench.

Jones was an All Australian in 2018, a starting onballer with Sam Walsh..he had an outstanding carnival.
The 2018 All-Australian team [3]

2018 Under 18 All-Australian team
B:Jez McLennan (SA)Jacob Koschitzke (All)Isaac Quaynor (VM)
HB:Buku Khamis (VM)Kyle Reid (VC)Jordan Clark (WA)
C:Luke English (WA)Bailey Smith (VM)Luke Valente (SA) (vc)
HF:Bailey Scott (All)Jack Lukosius (SA)Jackson Hately (SA)
F:Izak Rankine (SA)Ben King (VM)Rhylee West (VM)
Foll:Kieren Briggs (All)Sam Walsh (VC) (c)Chayce Jones (All)
Int:Sydney Stack (WA)Connor McFayden (All)Mitch O'Neill (All)
Will Gould (SA)Jeremy Sharp (WA)
Coach:Tony Bamford (SA)
Off topic - but what happened to Valente?

Wasn't he right up there with Rankine and Lukoscious ?

The question I asked when we first saw him was - what are the traits that this guy has that enable you to project him as succeeding?

He's small, but not particularly fast, is not physically strong, doesn't have an instinct for the ball, does not seem to have any particular special reading of the game and has poor disposal including the smallest kick I can remember in AFL level to the point he struggles to make the distance between 30 and 40.

What will experience change?

The players need to have traits first.

Strikes me (and there are a few) of a response to the 2017 grand final. Gave the vibe of the annoying mosquito fleet that beat us. That's as best as you can put it.

Strikes me (and there are a few) of a response to the 2017 grand final. Gave the vibe of the annoying mosquito fleet that beat us. That's as best as you can put it.
Yeah it seemed like Richmond beat us like this so we’ll draft and recruit to match them in 2017.

Could we trade Ned to them??

"Adelaide small forward Ned McHenry has notched plenty of game time in the past two years.

The Crows No. 25 has missed just two games in the past two seasons, becoming a mainstay of Matthew Nicks’ side."

This is the thinking/selection of the AFC that I just do not understand why do certain players get a sustained run of games and others are quickly dropped back to SANFL?
Over his career and this season he is below average at AFL in kicks, marks and goals - he is above average in tackles and handballs - as a forward we are giving up too much by playing him solely on tackles and handballs we shouldn't accept mediocrity we should be trying to unearth a player who can apply pressure but also provide goals or goal involvements.

His career goal average is 0.4 - either find another position for him or try another player in his.

Off topic - but what happened to Valente?

Wasn't he right up there with Rankine and Lukoscious ?

Freo drafted him, but struggled with injury and his mental health and retired early this year.

I have no idea if he is still in Perth or whether he came back to SA.

LOL

Tasmanian Chayce Jones’ exceptional carnival saw him named in the midfield, while Brisbane Lions academy member Connor McFadyen and Mariners bottom-ager Mitch O’Neill were named on the interchange bench.

Jones was an All Australian in 2018, a starting onballer with Sam Walsh..he had an outstanding carnival.
The 2018 All-Australian team [3]

2018 Under 18 All-Australian team
B:Jez McLennan (SA)Jacob Koschitzke (All)Isaac Quaynor (VM)
HB:Buku Khamis (VM)Kyle Reid (VC)Jordan Clark (WA)
C:Luke English (WA)Bailey Smith (VM)Luke Valente (SA) (vc)
HF:Bailey Scott (All)Jack Lukosius (SA)Jackson Hately (SA)
F:Izak Rankine (SA)Ben King (VM)Rhylee West (VM)
Foll:Kieren Briggs (All)Sam Walsh (VC) (c)Chayce Jones (All)
Int:Sydney Stack (WA)Connor McFayden (All)Mitch O'Neill (All)
Will Gould (SA)Jeremy Sharp (WA)
Coach:Tony Bamford (SA)
So was luke valente and jez mclennan. I dont think chayce will ever become a dominant player in our side. A role player? Yes.

It still rankles that we started that draft with picks 8, 13 and 16 and somehow could not buy our way into the elite 7 kids and had to swallow watching port show it could be done. What a horrid draft that has been for us

So finally... are we all in agreement that ned is just not afl quality?

I've been shot down a number of times around here for saying such...
Ned is very lucky Nicks is the coach but that is most likely coming to an end next year. That fact that Nick's has invested so heavily into him shows you why he won't last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So finally... are we all in agreement that ned is just not afl quality?

I've been shot down a number of times around here for saying such...

Not all. He'll certainly never justify the 1st round pick, but I'm maintaining my opinion that there is an AFL quality player in there and he will continue to develop.
That said his output this year has been poor and I would have had him back in the 2s weeks ago. His balance between manically chasing and getting involved offensively is far too skewed.
Nicks heavily overrates forward pressure - I think is partly why he played Berry in the forward pocket so much last year - and its likely McHenry is playing as directed. If you go back and rewatch some of the games towards the end of last season where he played further up the ground he was creative along with the defensive pressure. He looked good.

A skill Ned has been really honing of late is Finger pointing.

Seens to have clicked with him that running Larry-loops in pursuit of opposition players he has no chance of ever catching is a waste of energy,when you can simply point at the player,or point at a space whilst ignoring the play and yelling at clouds for the same result. All equals more energy for 12m lazer passes and mopping up of wayward handballs(2nd efforts).

The kid has really stepped up to become the Defensive General of our half forward line and its now clear to me why we select him each week. Will be ready to replace Tex in the role of Prime-Pointer in a couple of years.

Last edited:
Wonderful usage of hindsight ...kudos.

But you keep crying over spilt milk, it won't change anything.
Every chance Bailey Smith and Sam Walsh would be back in Melbourne by now.
Lukosius has hardly turned into the player he was projected to be and it's only just lately Rankine has started to show what he's capable of.

You might even recall I was all over Connor Rozee personally butI still wouldn't have sold the farm...what have Port acheived by selling the farm?
So we wouldn’t have Jones and McHenry had we sold the farm and you wouldn’t do that for Rozee? Wow.

What have Port achieved? A hell of a lot more than us, have you compared our 2 teams?

Think you need to revisit the 2018 draft thread....Rozee wasn't the player nearly all posters wanted targeted if we were to "sell the farm", it was Rankine and Lukosius by a fair margin but I suspect you already know that.
Not sure what your point is, you certainly didn’t answer the question I asked you. You said you were keen on Rozee, Port sold the farm for him and even now you wouldn’t. So you wouldn’t give up McHenry and Jones for Rozee?

Of course I would but let's not kid ourselves that Rozee was the target by nearly every poster on this board that wanted "to sell the farm"....it was Rankine ahead of Lukosius.....and Rozee an afterthought,
I’m not suggesting that. So the Port and Crows recruiters when having the same predraft information available to them, Port made a smart move, a good move and the Crows didn’t and don’t claim hindsight, it’s a recruiters job to make good decisions, that’s what they are paid for. Clearly one club did and it wasn’t us. Instead Hamish, picked 2 players that for first round picks are complete failures. If you disagree, what would Jones and McHenry fetch in a trade assuming there are suitors.

Not sure what your point is, you certainly didn’t answer the question I asked you. You said you were keen on Rozee, Port sold the farm for him and even now you wouldn’t. So you wouldn’t give up McHenry and Jones for Rozee?
Its even greater than that though. We sat back with a draft hand that would have bought us into the 'elite 7' - and these 7 were spruiked by every draft scribe as being a level above at the time, of that draft and did nothing whilst port paid the piper to get rozee. Remember port started trade and draft period with nothing like the draft hand we had. Had we paid up as we had the draft capital we could have gazumped port to manouvre ourselves in with a chance of getting the exact player we wanted and if not, a rozee or a ben king or a bailey smith. I would take each and every one of them 100 times over than jones or mchenry.

Still, the club went small target strategy and here we are

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back