Opinion New AFC HQ: We're on like Donkey Kong!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeh but where will we tie up the horses?
Which is why we should have had our ground in the northern parklands so people could park their horses with the local residents at Lefevre Park.

Will need to make it paid event parking so as not disrupt local business. Can imagine going back to your horse and seeing a ticket in the saddle.

‘Spin and political manipulation’: Anger at hasty Crows HQ meeting​

Residents of West Torrens believe council is ‘rushing’ Crows HQ meeting​

Residents are angry with their council’s handling of the controversial Crows move to Thebarton Oval, accusing it of rushing a crucial meeting on the plans.
Kitty Barr and Colin James

2 min read
November 7, 2022 - 1:40PM
archive.ph
a73a7d11520a0445e7f29df85d4d751dee59bc5c.webp

THE ADVERTISER | 01:17

Adelaide Crows reveal new Thebarton home​

The Adelaide Football Club’s new headquarters at Thebarton Oval will include a “world-class” facility for the team – and the community.
A western suburbs council has been accused of ignoring community concerns by going ahead with a special meeting over the proposed $85m redevelopment of Thebarton Oval.
The meeting was originally scheduled to be held by West Torrens Council on Monday night but was rescheduled on Monday morning to Tuesday evening.
This will enable councillors to receive a confidential briefing from council chief executive Terry Buss and the council’s lawyers before the meeting.
Advertisement

It has been called at short notice to discuss whether the council should sign a memorandum of agreement with the Adelaide Football Club.
The document has potential to bind the council to a 84-year lease proposal with the Crows to redevelop and use Thebarton Oval as their new club headquarters.
The 750-page agenda for the meeting was only released on Friday, prompting claims by residents that the council was “rushing” while in caretaker mode during council elections,
Councils expressedly are forbidden from making major decisions during caretaker mode without ministerial approval.
The Advertiser has confirmed the council has been holding meetings in recent weeks to discuss the project using a special exemption granted by Local Government Minister Geoff Brock.
Residents want the decision on signing the memorandum of agreement with the Crows delayed until a new council is voted in, which could be as early as next week.
Advertisement

Adelaide Crows artist impressions of their new base at Thebarton Oval. Picture: City Collective

Adelaide Crows artist impressions of their new base at Thebarton Oval. Picture: City Collective
They also have called for more time to consider the findings of an engagement survey which found most residents were opposed to Kings Reserve being taken over by the Crows.
The popular reserve is opposite the BrickWorks Market on the corner of South Rd and Ashwin Pde, Torrensville.
A YourSay survey, in which flyers were delivered to 4500 residents, revealed the suburbs of Torrensville, Thebarton and Mile End had 62 per cent of residents objecting to the proposal.
Residents’ spokesman Dave Conroy said the outcome “proves our point that the engagement process has been inadequate”.
Mr Conroy said the release of the agenda two days before the council meeting was “a combination of spin and political manipulation” by West Torrens mayor Michael Coxon and Mr Buss.
“Council’s mismanagement of the consultation process has dented its reputation in the eyes of the community,” he said.
“With proper consultation before the MOA is signed, it could achieve a beneficial outcome for all parties and ensure the council’s reputation remains intact.”
Mr Conroy said residents were not objecting to the Crows moving to Thebarton Oval but the proposed acquisition of Kings Reserve.
“The community supports the Crows’ move to Thebarton Oval but has serious concerns about the second MCG size oval on Kings Reserve.” Mr Conroy said.
A council spokeswoman said the briefing on Monday would allow councillors to ask questions and “seek clarity about the Memorandum of Agreement”.
The briefing was being held behind closed doors because lawyers would be presenting legal advice.
The spokeswoman said Mr Coxon had sent an open to the community last week answering common questions about the project.

----------------
For the record I wanted North Adelaide the old Aquatic Centre but that seemed like a decade ago now. I can see this dragging out sadly.

Last edited:
“The community supports the Crows’ move to Thebarton Oval but has serious concerns about the second MCG size oval on Kings Reserve.” Mr Conroy said.

It's going to be grass FFS. Just with some painted lines. They're not building a stadium.

It's going to be grass FFS. Just with some painted lines. They're not building a stadium.

which no one uses anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s the concern, those supportive are less likely to vote at the same level the opposed will be.

Would be interesting in what the candidates are saying.

I am hoping that it ends up with a similar outcome as Port's recent re-development did and it just get passed regardless of the opposition to it.

I know a family who live on Seventh Avenue in Alberton (who are Port supporters) and they were going to all the council meetings and were completely opposed to it. Last time I spoke with him about it he said to me that back when they built the Port club (around 15 years ago) Port officials met with the local residents and promised that there would never be a need for any further major redevelopments at Alberton Oval.

He said that they went to all the meeting and many of the residents spoke out, but it pretty much amounted to nothing so hopefully we have the same result.

I am hoping that it ends up with a similar outcome as Port's recent re-development did and it just get passed regardless of the opposition to it.

I know a family who live on Seventh Avenue in Alberton (who are Port supporters) and they were going to all the council meetings and were completely opposed to it. Last time I spoke with him about it he said to me that back when they built the Port club (around 15 years ago) Port officials met with the local residents and promised that there would never be a need for any further major redevelopments at Alberton Oval.

He said that they went to all the meeting and many of the residents spoke out, but it pretty much amounted to nothing so hopefully we have the same result.
That’s pretty much how councils work

If they get enough candidates elected though that are opposed to it, they met get the numbers

Do any of the old West Torrens supporters on here remember the new cricket club building that sank into the pughole in the 70s/80s. Northern corner just in front of the goals. I hope that area is safe now.

According to AA this morning, last night the Council voted to delay any decision on the AFC HQ and extend consultation? Pembo basically said the Council were covering themselves prior to the election

I thought channel 7 News said the vote was only postponed 24 hours. That will give them time to read the 750 page report.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back