New AFL site (suggestions, complaints and compliments)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI all, there's currently a survey on the afl.com.au site - it relates to the afl.com.au website - there is room for comments - use them :).

will do!

:thumbsu:

if i can get on to the website of course...

With Port and West Coast separated by 0.58%, I thought I'd check the AFL website cos I just knew they'd only go to 1 decimal place, insufficient when things get really tight.

And of course, the AFL website doesn't disappoint, because of course they don't go to 2 decimal places :rolleyes:.

But worse than that, they don't even go to 1 decimal place :rolleyes:.

That's right, decimals don't exist to the morons, imbeciles and idiots that run the AFL website.

Tried to listen to some footy on Saturday night online on some radio websites using my girlfriend's mac laptop. Instead of a footy broadcast I was greeted either with muzak and some cheerful **** telling me that they aren;t allowed to stream the footy, or a text error message. Seems that they have all been gagged from broadcasting the games by the AFL website, so i summoned up the courage to venture back to the killing fields of afl.com.au.

So I browsed on over to the site and bent over to see what they had in store for me this time. To their credit, their play by play graphical updates were working nicely, so it seems that one of their code monkeys earnt his/her banana, though naturally the feature I really wanted had a few surprises in store for me. Goody!

I clicked on the link to the broadcast, and was greeted with a white pop-up. No sound at all. No error message. Just a blank window into the blank minds at work on the site. I think most casual users would despondently give up at this point, as well they should because it should not be any more difficult than clicking on a button to get an audio stream from a high-end website in 2007.

I had a few tricks up my sleeve. I saw that the URL had the letters "wm" in it any realised that they must expect everyone to have a windows media player installed (some shoddy monopoly to tyrannical monopoly allegiance to Microsoft). Now pretty much every other radio broadcast site I'd encountered on this long road to perdition had offered me some alternative, such as real player, so I hadn't been forced to download a WM player, but I swallowed my indignation and downloaded one for the mac.

I have actually been a little long winded here, so to summarise I tried several WM players as well as different browsers, but could not get any combination of things to work across 2 more hours of my life that I will never have back.

Why not have a variety of audio format options like any decent site?
More importantly, why not have an error message explaining the problem?
Why couldn't I get it to work like EVERY other audio site I tried even after hours of trying?

With audio as with video, if the AFL is going to insist on guarding its right to control the sole method of broadcasting our wonderful game (which it has every right to), then FFS broadcast it properly. Waiting hours to buffer the video of a quarter of football is ridiculous. I have nothing against watching or listening through the AFL site if it wasn't such a gigantic insult to usability, customer service, intelligence and human decency (too far? nah).

Where's the Sandy who was talking of heeding our criticisms at the start of the thread now? Living it up in Majorca with his merry team of uneducated football-hating programmers and the head of usability (Voldemort), going out every night and living the high life on the $60s of football starved international subscribers.

Ah sweet ranting... it eases the pain.

Tried to listen to some footy on Saturday night online on some radio websites using my girlfriend's mac laptop. Instead of a footy broadcast I was greeted either with muzak and some cheerful **** telling me that they aren;t allowed to stream the footy, or a text error message. Seems that they have all been gagged from broadcasting the games by the AFL website, so i summoned up the courage to venture back to the killing fields of afl.com.au.

So I browsed on over to the site and bent over to see what they had in store for me this time. To their credit, their play by play graphical updates were working nicely, so it seems that one of their code monkeys earnt his/her banana, though naturally the feature I really wanted had a few surprises in store for me. Goody!

I clicked on the link to the broadcast, and was greeted with a white pop-up. No sound at all. No error message. Just a blank window into the blank minds at work on the site. I think most casual users would despondently give up at this point, as well they should because it should not be any more difficult than clicking on a button to get an audio stream from a high-end website in 2007.

I had a few tricks up my sleeve. I saw that the URL had the letters "wm" in it any realised that they must expect everyone to have a windows media player installed (some shoddy monopoly to tyrannical monopoly allegiance to Microsoft). Now pretty much every other radio broadcast site I'd encountered on this long road to perdition had offered me some alternative, such as real player, so I hadn't been forced to download a WM player, but I swallowed my indignation and downloaded one for the mac.

I have actually been a little long winded here, so to summarise I tried several WM players as well as different browsers, but could not get any combination of things to work across 2 more hours of my life that I will never have back.

Why not have a variety of audio format options like any decent site?
More importantly, why not have an error message explaining the problem?
Why couldn't I get it to work like EVERY other audio site I tried even after hours of trying?

With audio as with video, if the AFL is going to insist on guarding its right to control the sole method of broadcasting our wonderful game (which it has every right to), then FFS broadcast it properly. Waiting hours to buffer the video of a quarter of football is ridiculous. I have nothing against watching or listening through the AFL site if it wasn't such a gigantic insult to usability, customer service, intelligence and human decency (too far? nah).

Where's the Sandy who was talking of heeding our criticisms at the start of the thread now? Living it up in Majorca with his merry team of uneducated football-hating programmers and the head of usability (Voldemort), going out every night and living the high life on the $60s of football starved international subscribers.

Ah sweet ranting... it eases the pain.

And that, my good football following buddies, is the perfect summary of our gripes. I completely sympathise and empathise with your plight, carrben.

Spot on, mate.

I think most wouldn't argue that the content is pretty good. But as with the example above, there delivery of that content is consistently awful.

They have a competition promoting there "Create your own highlights" section. We eventually got it to work but at one stage it did not ownly freeze up, it crashed every webpage I had open.

does anyone have the URL for the audio of Cats/Power?

AFL site is down as per usual so I can't browse to it. I have the audio of the Hawks game in one window but it isn't resizable so I can't see the URL to see if the other one might be guessable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why have these bloody disgraceful Radio agreements, meaning you have to go through the AFL site to get them?

Half the time they have stuffed up the times so we can't listen or else the whole site is down.

AFL.COM.AU is currently unavailable.

We apologize for the inconvenience and will have the site back up shortly

thats awesome well done AFL,one of the biggest days in the AFL history with Hirdy and Sheeds leaving and you manage to **** it yet again

It is getting beyond ridiculous - realfooty is up and going so I was able to get scores and stats no probs.

Lets be honest and fair - this isn't the AFL's fault necessarily - it is BigPond's really!

I am a BigPond subscriber - and not being able to access the AFL website on a day like today - quite honestly - is blo0dy ridiculous!

I don't think that the AFL should be outsourcing this service to someone like Telstra (though it would be commercially hard not to I suppose) but with all the cr@p that we the fans have had to put up with, this year especially, on AFL.com.au (like the radio and the site being down and all the "flash" features!!) I think that the AFL should look at hosting this kind of thing in house or with a technology provider that will provide the service that we all want. Maybe they should look to the EPL or NFL to see how they are putting together their web service!

Anyway - thats my 2 cents!

I emailed them giving them a spray. I said the problem probably was the fact they were in partnership with the rabble known as Telstra. I then realised it was actually Telstra who gets the email so I'm guessing I wont get a reply...lol

I emailed them giving them a spray. I said the problem probably was the fact they were in partnership with the rabble known as Telstra. I then realised it was actually Telstra who gets the email so I'm guessing I wont get a reply...lol

Well, I did get a reply of sorts (the standard auto-reply):

Dear Mr xxx,

Thank you for your email dated 26 Aug regarding the AFL website.
We appreciate the time you have taken to provide this feedback. We will endeavour to utilise this valuable information in further AFL website developments.
Please do not hesitate to contact us via [/SIZE]www.afl.com.au if you require further information or assistance.
Please note: as the AFL site has recently been re-launched, you may need to change the resolution of your screen to view the entire site without using the horizontal scroll bar. You will need to have your screen resolution set to 1024 x 768 to view the site in it's entirety on one full page.
If you would like to contact us, please call on Freecall 1800 266 000* from 8.00am to 10.00pm, Monday to Friday, and 8.00 am to midnight, Saturday and Sunday, Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) and we can then provide you with immediate assistance. For further assistance, please have a look at our help-centre on
http://www.afl.com.au/Hidden/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/tabid/786/Default.aspx

If overseas, please ring the Australian operator and ask for a reversed charge call to +612 9242 0275 option 4 option 2 for the AFL Helpdesk. We will then be able to assist you immediately.
Yours sincerely,
Campbell Kerr
telstra.com Support Representative

This was after I wrote this:

It has gotten to the stage that your website is the laughing stock of any sports related website to myself or any of the people I know.
Why is it down so often and when it is working it is the slowest to load bar none?
There are many, many people I know that just don't bother coming here anymore because of the constant problems that you always seem to have.
I'm not expecting any reply as I know that the site is affiliated with Telstra....maybe thats the problem?..

Well, I did get a reply of sorts (the standard auto-reply):

This is a joke!!

I sent this message through the website yesterday:

"Guys, I am a full service Telstra customer and I am severely disappointed in the service that you are providing to the brand of AFL. Today, when some of the biggest moments were happening in AFL's history, your website was down. You are supposed to be the largest ICT company in this country and your servers can't handle this service and the bandwidth required. I will have to review my services with you, as if you can't produce and maintain a website, how can you provide me with the services that I want and need today and into the future!"

And the response!!! (Waverley73, you're gunna love this!!):

"Dear Mr .,
Thank you for your email dated 27 Aug regarding the AFL website.

On behalf of BigPond®, we regret any inconvenience you may have experienced as a result of the situation you described in your correspondence.

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide this feedback. We will endeavour to utilise this valuable information in further AFL website developments.

Please do not hesitate to contact us via www.afl.com.au if you require further information or assistance.

Please note: as the AFL site has recently been re-launched, you may need to change the resolution of your screen to view the entire site without using the horizontal scroll bar. You will need to have your screen resolution set to 1024 x 768 to view the site in it's entirety on one full page.

If you would like to contact us, please call on Freecall 1800 266 000* from 8.00am to 10.00pm, Monday to Friday, and 8.00 am to midnight, Saturday and Sunday, Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) and we can then provide you with immediate assistance. For further assistance, please have a look at our help-centre on http://www.afl.com.au/Hidden/FrequentlyAskedQuestions/tabid/786/Default.aspx

If overseas, please ring the Australian operator and ask for a reversed charge call to +612 9242 0275 option 4 option 2 for the AFL Helpdesk. We will then be able to assist you immediately.

Yours sincerely,

Campbell Kerr"
telstra.com Support Representative"

Can I just say, I haven't edited the response at all!!! The email was addressed to "Dear Mr .,"

If someone from the AFL is reading this - Please review your contract with Telstra, and check and see if there is any key performance indicators that they maybe in breach of - as this is just a joke!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back