New AFL site (suggestions, complaints and compliments)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's good, but RealFooty wasn't up to date during the Carlton/Demons match. I was listening on the MMM stream and the scores/stats were way out. I think they were more in sync with the Channel 7 delayed telecast (Melbourne CBD). :eek

Was there a massive blooper on the AFL site earlier today suggesting that NSW/ACT won the national U/18 championships?

I didnt get a screenshot. :mad:

The Real House of Pain: the AFL website

Hi all,

I am a moron who thought that I had nothing better to do with 60 bucks than to try out the AFL international subscribers package offered on the AFL website. My enthusiasm steadily waned over the first few days of frustration, and I gave up on my money as a sunk cost and went to suckle on the sweet bosom of torrents to sustain myself on the sweet nourishing milk of watching my team (lose) every week. Due to problems with the torrent sites and some positive reviews from other bigfooty users, I went back to check out how the AFL services had improved just now. I faithfully scrolled down to teh lower righ tof the page to access my "International Subscribers" section, only to find that there was nothing there but the words "International Subscribers". No links. Not even gratutious flash or bigpong advertisement. I desperately tried clicking all over the mysterious dark grey box of nothingness in the vein hope that there remained one defiant pixel which could lead me to the stop/start action of watching online footy through Hellstra, but alas, there was none.

I guess I have to go back to pleading for a demonoid/aussie torrent invite. I can't belive how much money I gave to the AFL through membership fees when I lived in Oz. Should have just used my mates' when they weren't going.

Love/hate relationship... Love the footy. Hate the 11 year old myspace users the AFL commissioned to develop the site, and everyone involved in that decision making process.

Re: The Real House of Pain: the AFL website

Do them a favour.

I have no idea how it's done, but could someone please download a virus to their website and disable it please. ;)

take the AFL website to the ACCC for false advertising/failing to deliver on a subscribed service

I agree. It is fast becoming a burden to look at. We need someone to start an unofficial AFL website. one that is owned by the fans.

The AFL have forgotten that the game is already owned by the fans, not Vlad and his croneys.

PS. Memo to AFL. Get rid of that annoying shockwave shit on the site. Pisses me right off.

I agree. It is fast becoming a burden to look at. We need someone to start an unofficial AFL website. one that is owned by the fans.

The AFL have forgotten that the game is already owned by the fans, not Vlad and his croneys.

PS. Memo to AFL. Get rid of that annoying shockwave shit on the site. Pisses me right off.

same here. their history page is a joke as well. used to be in detail now its a living joke. how does the afl want to keep in touch with the fans with the horrendous types of websites they have? seriously.

sorry boys but the AFL website is cutting edge

mothers, kids and people in NSW and QLD love it

it's one of the premier sport websites in the country, run by one of the premier organisations in telstra.

just look at the other sport websites, what do they have, nothing.

look at the afl website, what does it have, everything!

written and spoken by A. Anderson for the AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After poking around the video section and having my computer crash (surely unrelated to the AFL website...) I eventually managed to log in to my account. After another 5 minutes, I managed to get the word "buffering" appear on the bottom of the little panel where the match was about to start.

A while (not a short while) later the match started. Awesome. Finally.

At 19:55 to go in the first quarter the game froze for the first time and rebuffered. I started recording the freezing times at that point.
Again at 19:51 it froze.
There was a stoppage so the next freeze happened with 19:49 on the clock.
then 19:44
19:39
19:34 (I hypothesised it froze every 5 seconds at this point)
19:29
19:24 (theory seemingly confirmed)
19:19
19:15 Paul Johnson kicked the first goal, my blood pressure was through the roof.

Not sure how many miutes ago I started this email but we just crossed the 18 minute mark of the first quarter.

Let me record the duration of the pauses...

My analysis of the next 4 "bufferings" showed that the average buffering time is just under 10 seconds. There was a brief innocent moment of hope when there seemed to be about 20 continuous seconds of play and I thought that the problem may have fixed itself, then it returned to its true form.

<several minutes later>

that actually seemed to have a positive effect. Got about a minute's straight play in there. It is utterly unreasonable to have to buffer a quarter for 2-3 hours before being able to watch it, especially given that the wuality is not at all impressive. Anyway, leaving it buffering overnight so I can watch teh first over brekky tomorrow if indeed my plan scales upward.

Right now I'm pausing it for 5 minutes to see if that earns me perhaps a minute fo continuous watching. It is 25 to 1 and I have work in the morning so I probably won't post the results of that experiment. You can probably all guess anyway.....

carben12,

Sounds like your internet network speed, or Telstra's server speed is a bit too slow to stream without having buffering issues.

Your best bet is to pause and wait for a great deal of time (10+ mins) until enough of the stream is downloaded for you not to incur buffering issues and get smooth viewing.

Hi all,

I am a moron who thought that I had nothing better to do with 60 bucks than to try out the AFL international subscribers package offered on the AFL website. My enthusiasm steadily waned over the first few days of frustration, and I gave up on my money as a sunk cost and went to suckle on the sweet bosom of torrents to sustain myself on the sweet nourishing milk of watching my team (lose) every week. Due to problems with the torrent sites and some positive reviews from other bigfooty users, I went back to check out how the AFL services had improved just now. I faithfully scrolled down to teh lower righ tof the page to access my "International Subscribers" section, only to find that there was nothing there but the words "International Subscribers". No links. Not even gratutious flash or bigpong advertisement. I desperately tried clicking all over the mysterious dark grey box of nothingness in the vein hope that there remained one defiant pixel which could lead me to the stop/start action of watching online footy through Hellstra, but alas, there was none.

I guess I have to go back to pleading for a demonoid/aussie torrent invite. I can't belive how much money I gave to the AFL through membership fees when I lived in Oz. Should have just used my mates' when they weren't going.

Love/hate relationship... Love the footy. Hate the 11 year old myspace users the AFL commissioned to develop the site, and everyone involved in that decision making process.

Stick to BigFooty, you wont get any more info on the AFL, anywhere......albeit most of it slanderous and one eyed :p ( tongue in cheek ).

BigFooty is king :thumbsu:

Dude get used to it.

Telstra still thinks we are living in the 20th century.

Osama has better broadband than us city dwellars in a first world country, and he is hiding in some remote cave in afghanistan.

Hi all,

Dude, you just described my pain at the start of the season. I've now pretty much conceded defeat on the streaming of AFL games - it's excruciating with all of its freezes and buffering crap.

If they are to demand 60 bucks of users then they should ensure that it comes in a package that is not vulnerable to such issues. A huge chunk of viewers are o'seas supporters such as myself have wonderful broadband services that seem to cater very easily for everything else except AFL streaming via the Telstra site. It's scandalous that they took our money, and it won't happen again. I've even frightened quite a few other people off taking out a subscription over here in Europe that were considering it - better off paying €18/month for Setanta Sports and seeing it live, continuous and without serious resolution deficiencies.

In addition to this, they have yet to produce a game ready to go on their website twelve hours after it has finished, as was their claim. When you're on GMT, you pretty much have to wait until after midnight on Saturday night to watch any of the Melbourne Saturday arvo game, and that's if you're lucky. Ditto for Sunday matches.

I haven't come to terms with the whole torrent technology yet.

Your best bet is to pause and wait for a great deal of time (10+ mins) until enough of the stream is downloaded for you not to incur buffering issues and get smooth viewing.

JJ, this is the only thing that has worked for me too. If I ever have a spare four+ hours up my sleeve to watch one game of football, this is the procedure I use.

I felt your pain, however I have been living of torrents all year, and I have to say I am very satisfied with the service. I normally have downloaded the full game 24 hours after it has finished. If anyone is in need of an aussietorrent or demoniod invite PM me.

After poking around the video section and having my computer crash (surely unrelated to the AFL website...) I eventually managed to log in to my account. After another 5 minutes, I managed to get the word "buffering" appear on the bottom of the little panel where the match was about to start.

A while (not a short while) later the match started. Awesome. Finally.

At 19:55 to go in the first quarter the game froze for the first time and rebuffered. I started recording the freezing times at that point.
Again at 19:51 it froze.
There was a stoppage so the next freeze happened with 19:49 on the clock.
then 19:44
19:39
19:34 (I hypothesised it froze every 5 seconds at this point)
19:29
19:24 (theory seemingly confirmed)
19:19
19:15 Paul Johnson kicked the first goal, my blood pressure was through the roof.

Not sure how many miutes ago I started this email but we just crossed the 18 minute mark of the first quarter.

Let me record the duration of the pauses...

My analysis of the next 4 "bufferings" showed that the average buffering time is just under 10 seconds. There was a brief innocent moment of hope when there seemed to be about 20 continuous seconds of play and I thought that the problem may have fixed itself, then it returned to its true form.

<several minutes later>

that actually seemed to have a positive effect. Got about a minute's straight play in there. It is utterly unreasonable to have to buffer a quarter for 2-3 hours before being able to watch it, especially given that the wuality is not at all impressive. Anyway, leaving it buffering overnight so I can watch teh first over brekky tomorrow if indeed my plan scales upward.

Right now I'm pausing it for 5 minutes to see if that earns me perhaps a minute fo continuous watching. It is 25 to 1 and I have work in the morning so I probably won't post the results of that experiment. You can probably all guess anyway.....
I just got:

Before the bounce
19:57
19:55
19:53
19:45
19:43
19:41
19:34 (woah!)
19:26
19:26 (time off was blown)
19:24

This is for the Bulldogs Port Adelaide game.

I give up. I'm gonna pause it then go back to work (I'm on lunch) and see how many seconds have loaded when I get back in three hours :rolleyes:

realfooty live scoreboard http://stats.realfooty.com.au/ is heaps better and has got some serious potential but it does need some more work. Quicker and more reliable and none of the that flash rubbish that takes ages to load.

I like the fact that you open more than one game at same time

I give up. I'm gonna pause it then go back to work (I'm on lunch) and see how many seconds have loaded when I get back in three hours :rolleyes:
A whole three seconds! Wooo I'm lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back