New Assistants!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He would also make a great AFL coach as well.......those premierships are all his doin' which still amazes me that he hasn't been picked up by any club for that matter......

Centrals' success has been predicated on a happy knack of producing bugger all AFL talent while growing rivals get pillaged in one fell swoop - prime examples being Port Magpies 2000, West Adelaide 2003 and Norwood 2010.

There is absolutely no evidence that Laird has what it takes outside the Elizabeth bubble let alone at the highest level.

Centrals' success has been predicated on a happy knack of producing bugger all AFL talent while growing rivals get pillaged in one fell swoop - prime examples being Port Magpies 2000, West Adelaide 2003 and Norwood 2010.

There is absolutely no evidence that Laird has what it takes outside the Elizabeth bubble let alone at the highest level.

A complete lack of adhering to the Salary Cap has a little bit to do with it too.

Football manager Peter Rohde said Cripps' transition from the coach's box to an off-field role had been planned for a while, adding the position was likely to require the former St Kilda defender return to Melbourne.

"We've been looking at creating this position for a couple of years. I suppose finding the money has been the hard bit, but it's one of the things we've been hell-bent on with free agency coming in at the end of next year," Rohde told afl.com.au.

"Next year, we need to spend a lot of time looking at other club's lists. A lot of clubs have appointed a list manager over the last few years and we're noticing a few more this year.

"It'll be good to have someone up and going when free agency begins."

Looks like Cripps is going to be our list manager next year, working out of Melbourne.

A complete lack of adhering to the Salary Cap has a little bit to do with it too.

Creative accounting practices are what the north is built on, but yeah. Irks me when Centrals' dynasty is compared favourably to Jack's when Laird has lost Shannon Hurn, Travis Varcoe and a parade of soon-to-return spuds when we kept winning flags despite being robbed of all-time greats - Bradley, Phillips, Wanganeen, Buckley, McLeod, et al.

Ridiculous.

Here are my nominations for what they are worth:

Nathan Bassatt - would be ideal for our backlines
Brendon Lade - Get him back to the club
Brendan McCartney - was overlooked for Matthew Primus and has a good history of developing players. At Essendon now, but could make a real difference for us.
Mark Mickan - would very much like to see him back in football. Has a lot to offer.
Dean Brogan - rucks coach

Lets keep whiskers (Gary Hocking) & the others. Not too bad with some improvements to be made. Laidly, love him, but he cant be part time anymore.

Thats my wish list for now. I am terribly glad we didnt get Scott Camporeale - always thought he was not such a great player who just chased the dollars & thought far too highly of himself.

As for Cripps, being a list Manager will be fine, as it is a critical position coming into the next 5 years. Wonder if Chris Pelchen would like to come back sometime?

I think Laidley needs to go next year and we start fresh and use that money for someone else. He hasn't commited to the club at all, staying in Melbourne, and has made negative comments about our ''culture'' in the media. And lets face it, our midfield is hardly thriving under him.

I really like the idea of luring Basset as defensive coach. We need someone that understands modern footy who can teach our guys to defend properly one on one, but more importantly fix our kick outs and rebounds from defence. Monty might be alright too, but I can't how we could offer more than Carlton.

If they really are talking about 2 midfield coaches, I sure would love to have Lade back at the club, and probably working with Buddha or some one new, recently out of the game.

I think this is all really good news for the club. We don't know what Cripps list management would be like, maybe the club see that as his strength, not an actual coaching role.

It sounds like we are going to go hard next trade period. Lets hope Rhode is up to it, or hopefully we send a few guys over to sort it out. I like the sound of it, as long as we stick to our youth policy, keep them all about the same age. I think this time around we will have some decent experienced players to trade, and the club won't muck around, they will make the hard calls and get the trade complete. I think their non selections this year have already shown that.

Mediocrity is moving poor-performing employees to other roles rather than cutting them.

Mediocrity is moving poor-performing employees to other roles rather than cutting them.

Like.

If we've committed to Cripps as List Manager already as is heavily suggested - that is, prior to the AFL package when we didn't have a pot to piss in and couldn't attract flies - heads should roll.

It's such a premature tinpot move.

Camporeale, Hart, Clark, Bickley with Craig as mentor. It's a win win for both sides! We will throw in a set of steak knives!!

Only a win for the crowbots, that lot of scrubbers is not fit to run a chook raffle.

I am terribly glad we didnt get Scott Camporeale - always thought he was not such a great player who just chased the dollars & thought far too highly of himself.

It's amusing casting our thoughts back to the pre-season when the West Lakes scrubbers were crowing at how they got Camporeale, mob of shit-for-brains.

I'd like to see Hocking as the midfield coach
Bassett as the backline coach
Lade as the forwards coach
Brogan as the ruck coach

Yep.

If Cripps has been handed that role without extensive "head-hunting" then we deserve our place down the bottom of the ladder. It also goes a long way to showing that it's still very much a "mates" club down at Alberton.

For such a vital position within an AFL club I truly hope there was, or will be, an exhaustive process carried out finding the absolute best person possible. Not just handing such a position to a guy that hasn't really proven himself to be anything other than "meh" at all levels.

Come on Port - lift your ****ing game, raise the bar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't agree. If someone is in the 'wrong job' and has strengths and abilities that are better suited to a totally different role, then move them there. Everyone is better off.

Just because pretty much everyone thinks he's a crappy assistant coach doesn't mean he's overall, generally crap at everything.

Pretty sure I remember hearing that Cripps was offered the West Coast List Manager role. Will see if I can find anything.

Rucci says Cripps will be doing the list management role from Melbourne. Smells a little of him using the role change as a half way step to somewhere or something else.

Yes it could be more into a Vic scouting type role still with us, fair enough, but if I was more of a cynic I'd suggest that when the kids we're accumulated start to show a bit more next year, Cripps can walk away to another job in Melbourne claiming that as an achievement on his CV. Just like Kingsley would have pointed at the improvement in our back 6 in 2010 to help himself into a role at the Saints.

I don't agree. If someone is in the 'wrong job' and has strengths and abilities that are better suited to a totally different role, then move them there. Everyone is better off.
Except

* When you're in a high-profile, highly competitive industry where you can't `grow the pie' for success.
* You're filling a vital role to the success of your entire organisation
* A clear & common criticism of your organisation's current regime is being too insular with too much group-think among people insufficient for their role
* An open call would actually get interest from people that quite probably have more relevant experience.

How much has Cripps dealt with player contracts before? Are we really happy to be hiring a contract manager from within the PAFC given how much we have screwed them up in the past five years?

Its a stupid, backslappy move that at any of our new `peer' (aka basketcase) clubs like Richmond, Fremantle and Melbourne would be a classic sign of the mediocrity that they aspire to.

Seriously, when is the clean out coming? This is pathetic.

here's the West Coast job ad for their list manager role from last year: List Manager - West Coast Eagles

seems they thought he was worth considering. I don't know how capable he is - I haven't interviewed him or assessed him against the role criteria ;)

www.sports news first.com.au is on the swear filter ??? so the link won't work!
Carlton assistant and former Melbourne caretaker senior coach Mark Riley, Port Adelaide forwards coach Jason Cripps and Adelaide assistant David Noble are others understood to be on West Coast’s hit-list.

& on the WC board:

Neale is our Football Manager.

In the Sunday HS they mentioned we initially offered the job to Port Adelaide's Jason Cripps but he declined the 3 year deal to move to Perth.

"The former player manager (Vozzo) only has to overcome reservations about moving west to take the role. The offer from the Eagles is said to be a 3-5 year contract believed to be in the vicinity of $300,000 annually."

As for doing the job from Melbourne - most player managers are there. Silvagni is managing GWS's list from Melb.

That is all pretty vague stuff there with no verification. So we're happy to go with West Coast's previous recruitment regimen that didn't recruit him?

Do you reckon Geelong picked Chris Scott to be their new coach on the basis that he was close to the Port job?

nope (would be interesting if he was first choice and turned it down though) & nope (but probably part of the consideration believe it or not)

I'm not too happy with a lot of things right now. I think there should be a proper selection process for any role. I have no idea if he is capable - but I'm not keen on dismissing him out of hand either.

PowerKat said:

Agree with this. Think of all of the good footy players who would've been lost to the system if they'd been played in whatever their first crappily selected role was for their whole careers.

Plus, if anyone is qualified to identify who crap players that need to be delisted are, it's Jason Cripps.

Still rate Baily though as a developer of young talant, just think his gameplan needs work, reeks of Geelong/Port 2007, cept you cant play like that anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back