News New CEO: Tim Silvers

How do you feel about the appointment?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Never implied he had access to the coach

Given his position he would have some idea of how the club ethos is spread

I think we hoped that would be the case, but unlikely it is. Even then, I doubt our decision makers believe that we need to change any of our core philosophies. It’d be more about ensuring everyone we recruit is on the same page.

I think we hoped that would be the case, but unlikely it is. Even then, I doubt our decision makers believe that we need to change any of our core philosophies. It’d be more about ensuring everyone we recruit is on the same page.
Employing a CEO who came from Hawthorn that was employed by that club for a long period of time through their successful era's sounds and seems good on paper

The other thing to consider is the amount of time and effort gone into Hawthorn's move and new build at Dingley. I'm sure his experience dealing those challenges would've helped the decision to employ him here

I'd be horrified if he had any influence on the football department beyond spend

And the clubs ongoing refusal to drop, move on (f*ck off) Neil Craig philosophies needs to end asap

To be fair, a CEO is really all about off field. They should be excellent buisness people as a first need. He is in charge of building the brand, the income, the direction and the politics around the AFL and Government.
Under them you have the football iq who build the culture, build the team, choose the players, the coaches etc.

To be fair, a CEO is really all about off field. They should be excellent buisness people as a first need. He is in charge of building the brand, the income, the direction and the politics around the AFL and Government.
Under them you have the football iq who build the culture, build the team, choose the players, the coaches etc.
Absolutely correct, but he's also ultimately responsible for maintaining/improving the standards at the club, including football. That doesn't necessarily require hands-on football expertise, but will necessarily include the ability to hire/fire the football underlings based on his judgement.

The CEO's role is also about getting quality people in the key roles...

The CEO's role is also about getting quality people in the key roles...
The club sets up committees around major appointments. Take a coach for instance, he wouldn't know shit about which coach is right, so the club sets up a committee, can be internal or external, to decide on that. No CEO is making the decision on who gets employed and where

The club sets up committees around major appointments. Take a coach for instance, he wouldn't know shit about which coach is right, so the club sets up a committee, can be internal or external, to decide on that. No CEO is making the decision on who gets employed and where
Lol, what?

CEO absolutely should be having a strong say in key management positions.

Lol, what?

CEO absolutely should be having a strong say in key management positions.
The problem is our head of football is an absolute numpty.

Twice in a row we've ****ed up in our choice for the role.

He doesn't make the decions on his own. The board does. It's not a dictatorship, and if an area he has little knowledge about he will defer to those that have a better understanding, or consult out to people who do.
If the CEO doesn't understand the business he is running and the people he needs to have a successful business, he has no place being the CEO of that organisation.
This business is not some huge conglomerate, it's a football club

The CEO's number 1 role at a football club is to implement a successful football dept.
That should be his #1 KPI
I think Silvers has failed miserably in this area

He doesn't make the decions on his own. The board does. It's not a dictatorship, and if an area he has little knowledge about he will defer to those that have a better understanding, or consult out to people who do.
If the CEO has little knowledge, wtf is he CEO?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The CEO's number 1 role at a football club is to implement a successful football dept.
I agree there should be a well-rounded balancing of financial & footy focus .....it is natural though, with Silvers having a Commercial background, he'd have a leaning in that direction

In any managerial situation though, surround yourself with people whose strengths help with your deficiencies

I agree there should be a well-rounded balancing of financial & footy focus .....it is natural though, with Silvers having a Commercial background, he'd have a leaning in that direction

In any managerial situation though, surround yourself with people whose strengths help with your deficiencies
The problem is he hadn't surrounded himself with quality people... which is why we are so mediocre off field... so he is failing in his job.

And that is why Adam Kelly is such a bad fit for our club
We need more people with on field football expertise

And that is why Adam Kelly is such a bad fit for our club
We need more people with on field football expertise
yep, don't disagree with that POV ....Kelly, like Burton gets terribly nervous when put under pressure

We need an experienced "Footy" Manager

Compare our appointments experience with the Grand Finalists

Swans and Lions CEO

Footy Manager

If the CEO has little knowledge, wtf is he CEO?
You think a CEO has in-depth knowledge over the whole club operations?
You think he knows all about strength and conditioning to employ the right guy off his own bat?
You think he knows all about marketing to employ the best heads of that department? What about the coaching ranks in the AFL? He would know who all the different assistant coaches are and which one we need to chase to improve the coaching panel at the club?
No one CEO knows that.

You want a CEO who is the best at running the organisation off field, such as income, compliance, corporate suit stuff, and then under them guys who know the football buisness who can recommend to him and the board about who they need in what positions. They check it off from the corporate end, and normally accept their recommendations.

Did Fagan go out and take all the coaches interviews when we replaced Don Pike? Did he evaluate all their game plans and presentations? Or, did he go on the advice of people who know what it takes to be a good coach? Sure the coach would present to the board, but Fagan wouldn't be making the technical decision about it, rather he would take the advice of those appointed to find a new coach.

You think he knows all about strength and conditioning to employ the right guy off his own bat?
You think he knows all about marketing to employ the best heads of that department? What about the coaching ranks in the AFL? He would know who all the different assistant coaches are and which one we need to chase to improve the coaching panel at the club?
No one CEO knows that.

You want a CEO who is the best at running the organisation off field, such as income, compliance, corporate suit stuff, and then under them guys who know the football buisness who can recommend to him and the board about who they need in what positions. They check it off from the corporate end, and normally accept their recommendations.
I want a CEO who employs quality people for the key roles because as the moment we have a CEO who has mostly mediocre people in the key roles.

It really is that simple & he is not doing his job well as has a poor team

Birdbrain.
Correct.

adelaide-australia-adelaide-crows-football-manager-brett-burton-speaks-to-the-media-during-a.jpg

No but he should know when it isnt working
No but he should do due diligence before the hire
You think he knows all about marketing to employ the best heads of that department?
This would be an area he should have some input. But again he should know when its not working
What about the coaching ranks in the AFL? He would know who all the different assistant coaches are and which one we need to chase to improve the coaching panel at the club?
Again he should have input before the hire. Whether he knows his stuff or not there should be certain benchmarks he has in mind .
No one CEO knows that.
No they dont but good ones do take the time to be across all aspects of the company or in this case the club. Feedback. Whats the feedback and why are we getting it? A good CEO would investigate that
If I know someone above me has no idea I can then baffle them with bs for so long its like a gravy train

I understand the point you are making but I would expect a minimum knowledge of the football industry ON and OFF the field

Remove this Banner Ad

News New CEO: Tim Silvers

Back