News New CEO - Shane Dunne

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon's role encompasses many things. It's not a literal "sales based" marketing role. There's marketing of the Club to external stakeholders, members and the broader community. As such, he has great involvement in, responsibility for and knowledge of our community programmes (KGI, MITS, BHF etc), the club's digital and traditional media footprint and programmes, and stakeholder relationships including government across all levels. Whilst we have several GM's across the club's operations, such as Simon Derrick, Shane Dunne, Michael Stahl, Dino, Blair and Tim. Simon M is often acting CEO in Brendon's absence because he is extremely experienced across a broad range of club operations.

And I do find the "boys club" recruitment reference somewhat amusing, particularly as the CEO recruitment process is being led internally by the incredibly capable and talented Club VP Henriette Rothschild.

Haere Ra from Auckland.

Simon's role encompasses many things. It's not a literal "sales based" marketing role. There's marketing of the Club to external stakeholders, members and the broader community. As such, he has great involvement in, responsibility for and knowledge of our community programmes (KGI, MITS, BHF etc), the club's digital and traditional media footprint and programmes, and stakeholder relationships including government across all levels. Whilst we have several GM's across the club's operations, such as Simon Derrick, Shane Dunne, Michael Stahl, Dino, Blair and Tim. Simon M is often acting CEO in Brendon's absence because he is extremely experienced across a broad range of club operations.

And I do find the "boys club" recruitment reference somewhat amusing, particularly as the CEO recruitment process is being led internally by the incredibly capable and talented Club VP Henriette Rothschild.

Haere Ra from Auckland.
all a fail if they cant get rid of the ugly fluro sash/ red blue and green sponsors combo that is desecrating our sacred guernsey

One would assume thats the ways its structured.
Pres
CEO
Marketing
then FD

Seems reasonable to me.
Realistically, it should be:
Pres
CEO
COO
CFO
Marketing - Director of Football - Other business units

Marketing should never really be above Operations and Finance unless it is a marketing firm.

Haere Ra from Auckland.
Tell me more about Simon Derrick. Without knowing too much about him, it seems like he wouldn't look out of place among the other candidates shortlisted.

Boy's Club is merely a term and not to be taken literally. There will be a new term as more and more women get into the higher positions within organisations.

There are rumours of Matthews involvement within the old guard of Football people. Running in the same circles as Caroline Wilson and that ilk. That is where the Boy's Club allegations would be coming from.

If Matthews does get the job, the question I want answered was why spend all this time looking for someone else even having a process to find external candidates. Footy Classified found the job ad on Seek. If Matthews was always the guy as people here say he is, it should of been a straight forward, done deal. O'Rouke would of said "It is sad to see Gale leave after a decade of success. However, it pleases me to say that both he and I endorse the man taking over in Simon Matthews who has been deputy to Brendon these past years".

Boy's Club is merely a term and not to be taken literally. There will be a new term as more and more women get into the higher positions within organisations.

There are rumours of Matthews involvement within the old guard of Football people. Running in the same circles as Caroline Wilson and that ilk. That is where the Boy's Club allegations would be coming from.

If Matthews does get the job, the question I want answered was why spend all this time looking for someone else even having a process to find external candidates. Footy Classified found the job ad on Seek. If Matthews was always the guy as people here say he is, it should of been a straight forward, done deal. O'Rouke would of said "It is sad to see Gale leave after a decade of success. However, it pleases me to say that both he and I endorse the man taking over in Simon Matthews who has been deputy to Brendon these past years".
Seems strange to criticise the club for having a process. Imagine if we'd just hired McQualter without running a recruitment process.

Sometimes the best candidate is already at the organisation, sometimes they're not.

Haere Ra from Auckland.

But it is Marketing. Call it Marketing, Partnerships and Products. Whatever you want.

It should in no way be 2IC to the CEO. If that’s our structure, it’s shonky.

But it is Marketing. Call it Marketing, Partnerships and Products. Whatever you want.

It should in no way be 2IC to the CEO. If that’s our structure, it’s shonky.
Doesn't marketing involve lots of research so maybe he understands the fans better than the others. But then a CEO is the chief kahuna, but what's within his power? You have Livingston work within the draft/ trades etc, yze coaches, mechanical does fitness, so what does a CEO do? I think it's overall shape and big ideas like the redevelopment so creating better facilities, bringing in more income from where possible. So he is probably OK for that. You can't spend more than salary cap or soft cap, but making more money can mean better redevelopment etc so better facilities. What else can we do to be a good club?

Realistically, it should be:
Pres
CEO
COO
CFO
Marketing - Director of Football - Other business units

Marketing should never really be above Operations and Finance unless it is a marketing firm.
Never?
Then why is the marketing man 2IC?

Simon Lloyd looks made for the role, he’s my choice

Matthews seems soft

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Benny Gale was made for Gilligan role Dillon is soft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems strange to criticise the club for having a process. Imagine if we'd just hired McQualter without running a recruitment process.

Sometimes the best candidate is already at the organisation, sometimes they're not.
Coaching and Executive Leadership are two very different processes.

The criticism around this CEO selection process is around Matthews' supposed position within the club. If we take what everyone is saying as being true and he is Gale's 2IC and has been taking on more and more CEO functions then the transition of power should of been done long ago.

Running the process would be fine if one of those in the process was a target. Then this would all make sense. But the fact we are going/went on Seek doesn't fill me with confidence of Matthews.

Whom makes that decision?
Harvard Business School

Investopedia

It is the norm for the COO to be higher than the CMO due to the breadth of duties a COO has over CMO.

Harvard Business School

Investopedia

It is the norm for the COO to be higher than the CMO due to the breadth of duties a COO has over CMO.
Who's our COO?

Remove this Banner Ad

News New CEO - Shane Dunne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back