Workshop New Clash Jumper for Essendon in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a quick few I made, ignoring the plane theme everyone seems to love :)

Bombers.png

Bombers3.png

Bombers2.png

Watching the VFL Grand Final today, we saw a predominantly black jumper (North Ballarat) against a predominantly red jumper (Northern Bullants), and not once did I feel it was a dark colour against another dark colour.

The two colours contrast quite well, the whole light/dark thing is pretty stupid/unnecessary if solves red solves a clash between two jumpers then it should be allowed.

It's obvious the AFL are following North American sports - and to some extent FIFA - when it comes to away/clash colours. Not all dark colours clash, in the same way that some light colours don't clash. If most TV viewers only had black and white tellies, I could understand this dark v light line of reasoning.

I think its because the maroon is too close to Sydney's red to get away with it. Im guessing this will all change next year though as the AFL have now classed red as a dark colour and Sydney will have too wear light shorts away.

Swans never wear white shorts against the Lions.

The two colours contrast quite well, the whole light/dark thing is pretty stupid/unnecessary if solves red solves a clash between two jumpers then it should be allowed.
Not all darks clash with darks, but no darks clash with lights.

If that makes sense.

It's a sensible rule to cover all bases IMO. The key step, which hasn't been implemented yet, is making all teams wear dark at home - which isn't a hard thing for North, Hawthorn, Geelong (add a few stripes here and there, have white numbers on dark).

IF we were in the situation of, say the EPL, where quite a few teams have very/all white or sky or yellow home strips, then we should have to adopt a different policy.
But with the AFL as it is, plus the tradition of white (light) shorts for AWAY teams (except finals), "my" aforementioned rule should be applied.

People are inflating the AFL's "stupidity" here - it's really just a lack of consistent and hard-nosed approach in some cases.

The key step, which hasn't been implemented yet, is making all teams wear dark at home - which isn't a hard thing for North, Hawthorn, Geelong (add a few stripes here and there, have white numbers on dark.

Whats the need? If each team has a dark and a light jumper then what does it matter if they're worn for home or away? Really, you'd just be pissing off the Geelong, Hawthorn and North supporters by forcing them to have dark home jumpers.

Maybe its a perfectionist thing, but it just makes sense for consistency/professionalism's sake, particularly if we want to preserve the white shorts tradition.
Its a very small change or "sacrifice" for these 3 teams (and honestly, an improvement - particularly in Hawthorn's case) that would rid the AFL of some of its criticisms (Collingwood/NM etc.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I think people care more about the jumper tradition more than the shorts tradition (which is slowly fading away anyway).

Well I think people care more about the jumper tradition more than the shorts tradition (which is slowly fading away anyway).
All I would ask for NM, GFC and HFC would be to add extra stripes and invert the numbers - not necessarily a complete overhaul ala Collingwood. Each has worn a predominantly - though only slightly - dark guernsey in their history:
Hawthorn-1955.gif

North-1933.gif

Geelong-1976.gif

Royal/Brown side panels - even in the "meshy bit" of a template- ontop of the existing jumpers would make a significant difference; yet still respect this tradition you speak of.

I'm not going to go on a spiel about the importance and uniqueness of the white dacks, but I disagree that they're slowly being phased out - almost all H&A games do involve the away team in white.
That system ain't broke.

All I would ask for NM, GFC and HFC would be to add extra stripes and invert the numbers - not necessarily a complete overhaul ala Collingwood. Each has worn a predominantly - though only slightly - dark guernsey in their history:
Hawthorn-1955.gif

North-1933.gif

Geelong-1976.gif

Royal/Brown side panels - even in the "meshy bit" of a template- ontop of the existing jumpers would make a significant difference; yet still respect this tradition you speak of.

I'm not going to go on a spiel about the importance and uniqueness of the white dacks, but I disagree that they're slowly being phased out - almost all H&A games do involve the away team in white.
That system ain't broke.

I think NM and GFC should keep the same home jumpers and wear white shorts at home and the away team wears their normal kit. Hawthorn should also have the same home jumper, and have a completely white jumper for games against GC suns and Richmond.

Ease up, I did it in Paint at the time so they look far sharper than i'd like. But it stays on course with the concept of a Grey jumper.

Im not adverse to your design, im irritated at the fact that we have Essendon "supporters" (cough) sitting here making up mock designs for a jersey that we DO NOT WANT or NEED. Im not saying we can do anything about it if we're forced, but how about not precipitating this heritage ruining idea?

Whilst im aware that comment will garner a lot of opposition hate, im an Essendon purist, and im just stating my claim regardless of how selfish it seems to the rest of the league.

Im not adverse to your design, im irritated at the fact that we have Essendon "supporters" (cough) sitting here making up mock designs for a jersey that we DO NOT WANT or NEED. Im not saying we can do anything about it if we're forced, but how about not precipitating this heritage ruining idea?

Whilst im aware that comment will garner a lot of opposition hate, im an Essendon purist, and im just stating my claim regardless of how selfish it seems to the rest of the league.

So it's a Bombers home game, Saints are coming to play you, and you'd be fine with us wearing our clash instigating home strip?

So it's a Bombers home game, Saints are coming to play you, and you'd be fine with us wearing our clash instigating home strip?

Not being a smart ass at all when I say this, but it was good enough for 100 odd years...

Essendons jersey (Like Melbournes and Carltons etc) should damn near be under heritage listing (a little over the top I know but I think u get my point).. Theres over a hundred years of history in that jersey (way more actually).

And before opposition fans go on saying "well we changed ours and we have history too", I agree with u, but I think you should have fought harder to keep it. You cant blame us for not wanting to change it really, and I can see why I cant blame other people for wanting us to change it.

For the Essendon members, it should be all or nothing. We shouldnt put up with the AFL trying this crap, as incase they are unaware, we at the Essendon Footy Club make a damn fortune for those bastards.

I don't understand why people are so precious about the jumper. Most sports around the world clubs change their jumpers as often as annually. It is really not that big a deal. People seem to think that the jumper represents the club, however, it is the people in the jumpers that should be representing the club, not the jumper itself!

Not being a smart ass at all when I say this, but it was good enough for 100 odd years...

You weren't getting a slice of nearly $1b in media rights revenue 100 years ago either And you weren't wearing a nice shiny material either. Nor were there sponsors on your jumper. Nor were you playing under lights.

Having said that, the need for a non-red clash jumper is stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Workshop New Clash Jumper for Essendon in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back