New facilities at Springfield - update: Federal funding under review

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My midnight kebab shop that I set up in whoop-whoop has the potential to one day be valuable. I am doing all that I can to ensure that an all-night pub in Brisbane builds and moves to premises right next door.

My kebab shop doesn't receive a cent from the pub, so there's no conflict there whatsoever.

*sigh*

Your all-night pub. :p

My midnight kebab shop that I set up in whoop-whoop has the potential to one day be valuable. I am doing all that I can to ensure that an all-night pub in Brisbane builds and moves to premises right next door.

My kebab shop doesn't receive a cent from the pub, so there's no conflict there whatsoever.

*sigh*

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait... When are the kebabs coming in the mail?

I don't think anyone could reasonably define commercial benefit as only direct revenue, although possibly that's me being a bit naive.

But the use of the word 'whatsoever' makes that interpretation even less reasonable, for mine.

That's why I think what comes out of his mouth isn't necessarily what he is thinking or actually means.

Like Tony Abbott?

150px-7.30_Report_logo.JPG

KERRY O'BRIEN: But what you haven't explained is how you can make one promise in one month and then completely change it the next. What happened in that month where you had this sudden explosion of vision?

BOB SHARPLESS: Well, again, Kerry, people will make their own judgments about me and if they ...

KERRY O'BRIEN: No, but I'd like you to explain it. Bob Sharpless feels with conviction we will not play games for premiership points at Springfield, shape or form, a month later, you do?

BOB SHARPLESS: Well, again Kerry, I know club chairmen are gonna be judged on everything they say, but sometimes, in the heat of discussion, you go a little bit further than you would if it was an absolutely calm, considered, prepared, scripted remark, which is one of the reasons why the statements that need to be taken absolutely as gospel truth is those carefully prepared scripted remarks.

KERRY O'BRIEN: So every time you make a statement, we have to ask you whether it's carefully prepared and scripted or whether it's just something on the fly? No, seriously; this is a very serious question.

BOB SHARPLESS: But all of us, Kerry, all of us when we're in the heat of verbal combat, so to speak, will sometimes say things that go a little bit further.

KERRY O'BRIEN: Mr Sharpless, we're not all leaders of major land corporations who are also aspiring to be chairman of a football club.

BOB SHARPLESS: True, true, true.

<END TRANSCRIPT>

150px-7.30_Report_logo.JPG

KERRY O'BRIEN: But what you haven't explained is how you can make one promise in one month and then completely change it the next. What happened in that month where you had this sudden explosion of vision?

BOB SHARPLESS: Well, again, Kerry, people will make their own judgments about me and if they ...

KERRY O'BRIEN: No, but I'd like you to explain it. Bob Sharpless feels with conviction we will not play games for premiership points at Springfield, shape or form, a month later, you do?

BOB SHARPLESS: Well, again Kerry, I know club chairmen are gonna be judged on everything they say, but sometimes, in the heat of discussion, you go a little bit further than you would if it was an absolutely calm, considered, prepared, scripted remark, which is one of the reasons why the statements that need to be taken absolutely as gospel truth is those carefully prepared scripted remarks.

KERRY O'BRIEN: So every time you make a statement, we have to ask you whether it's carefully prepared and scripted or whether it's just something on the fly? No, seriously; this is a very serious question.

BOB SHARPLESS: But all of us, Kerry, all of us when we're in the heat of verbal combat, so to speak, will sometimes say things that go a little bit further.

KERRY O'BRIEN: Mr Sharpless, we're not all leaders of major land corporations who are also aspiring to be chairman of a football club.

BOB SHARPLESS: True, true, true.

<END TRANSCRIPT>
That was exactly the interview I was thinking of.:thumbsu:

:thumbsdown:

*sigh*

Hey, you're good!

GG for Grand Poobah:thumbsu:

Probably being pedantic but
[QUOTE="Bob" ]"The Lions are committed to play all games at the Gabba for many, many years to come.".[/QUOTE]
Is that the same as "maybe a generation away"?

Whatever, I don't think there was a real "plan" to play out there, just a dream or hint of possibility.
I was never too concerned about it eventuating, just that he suggested it.
They are of course having to backpedal in light of the backlash.
Makes no difference to me, the damage was in the making of the comments, not the reality of any "plans".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever, I don't think there was a real "plan" to play out there, just a dream or hint of possibility.
I was never too concerned about it eventuating, just that he suggested it.
They are of course having to backpedal in light of the backlash.
Makes no difference to me, the damage was in the making of the comments, not the reality of any "plans".

I think that last sentence sums it up. From what I understand, Sharpless's comments took pretty much everyone by surprise so it isn't like he was stating club policy.

What scares me is that we either have a Chairman who can't separate his two roles, a Chairman who has no idea of how his comments will be interpreted by the public, a Chairman who is marching to a different beat to that of the rest of the organisation....or all of the above.

I think that last sentence sums it up. From what I understand, Sharpless's comments took pretty much everyone by surprise so it isn't like he was stating club policy.

What scares me is that we either have a Chairman who can't separate his two roles, a Chairman who has no idea of how his comments will be interpreted by the public, a Chairman who is marching to a different beat to that of the rest of the organisation....or all of the above.

Just screams to me that his mindset is thoroughly Springfield first and foremost. Even if he was taken out of context, the fact that he didn't realise how it would be taken is just as disturbing and shows that he just isn't firing on all cylinders as Brisbane Lions chairman.

Everyone is putting the Port resurgence down to the fact that every element of the organisation is on the same page and united towards a common goal. Do not get that feeling from our club at all. Feels like bumbling bureaucracy with different units with different priorities and agendas pulling in different directions.

Still ****ing pissed off we didn't get a chance to vote for this...

BXJG7FTCYAATx2g.jpg:large

Hard to criticise completely not knowing the full stakes involved in not bowing to the AFL's interference, but I kinda wish Lethal had stuck to his original "the whole ticket gets up or I walk" threat.

For many people, they will be thinking "Leigh is on board, we're sweet now" but I am starting to fear that Leigh has been marginalised to footy only issues (which was always his role) while for the rest of the board, it is business as usual.

Really hope Ross Thornton is still keen for a position. Can't just let the current mob replace Milner with another lackey.

It would be so much easier if Mr. Sharpless and co would actually come down to the Gabba once in a while and talk to the fans.

Like I suggested in my blog - how hard would it be to have a dining-in night once a quarter or something? Speaking to a collingwood member, they apparently used to do things like that with the players a lot when she lived in Melbourne. How hard would it be for the Members of the Board to take a night out to mingle with the Voting Members of the Club?

And now the e-mail from the club back peddling on the comments. Why do I only get e-mails on this stuff when there's a screw up?

I don't doubt the Chairman and all of the board genuinely believe the peppercorn agreement etc will be a financial boon for the club and want the club to have that benefit - rent free state of the art facilities would be a godsend. It just grates me that the deal itself is clearly quid-pro-quo and could well have been given the inside track because of that.

"The Lions are committed to play all games at the Gabba for many, many years to come.".

This is the problem though, while we commit to the Gabba like this we are going to be treated like crap by the Gabba, I know everyone loves the ground, and having been there it is a great venue. The Gabba knows we wont move and thus leave the cricket pitches in the middle so we cannot have a ruckman who puts 2 full seasons in a row together anymore, not to mention cost us our early Easter Thursday Blockbuster last year in case 5 people and a dog need to attend the Sheffield Shield Final.

We need to have a negotiation witht he Gabba on equal ground, but they know we can't leave so this problem is going to continue.

All of the above.
And now the e-mail from the club back peddling on the comments. Why do I only get e-mails on this stuff when there's a screw up?

I don't doubt the Chairman and all of the board genuinely believe the peppercorn agreement etc will be a financial boon for the club and want the club to have that benefit - rent free state of the art facilities would be a godsend. It just grates me that the deal itself is clearly quid-pro-quo and could well have been given the inside track because of that.
Was my first thought too. The only time we see/hear from a chairman on the website is when they are knee deep in shit and shovel in hand.

All of the above.

Was my first thought too. The only time we see/hear from a chairman on the website is when they are knee deep in shit and shovel in hand.

I'd imagine that Steele let out a few choice words when he read the article and fired up his backhoe quicksmart.

I'd imagine that Steele let out a few choice words when he read the article and fired up his backhoe quicksmart.
Poor bloke's been digging for 2 days.
That is the other worry. I think it was Hammo's follow up overnight that suggested privately there are staff and players that weren't happy about Bob's initial comments. Whether he knows that or made it up doesn't matter, I imagine Steele (and others) will have a breaking point where they say they've had "enough of this shit". And just like that, we lose more good people while the duds fumble their way through.
He already copped a barrage over the announcing of contracts and is the earpiece for any other complaints from members and supporters. If they keep putting him shitty positions, how long will he stay?
Everyone needs to be on the same page, starting with the top understanding the game, the sport and the people. Only then, when we all share an ideal and goal can we share positivity and unity. The media department can then share the love instead of digging the administrators out of the shit all the time.
What a crappy job Steele has at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back