News New jumpers for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, don't like white jumpers but it's alright for one of those. Would've preferred the white to be silver, woul've worked better for the brand imo. Hope the back isn't all white and that the socks are dark

New home socks look pretty good though. Can't be bothered taking a screen shot and uploading it but you can see them on that banner on the GWS shop. Still mainly orange (but looks a bit darker) with charcoal tops. Think Brisbane's 'Fitzroy' socks or GC socks but all one colour

EDIT: good sponsor, barely even noticed in that clash :)

Looks great - the only "issue" would be how much contrast is provided against a team like Collingwood - there would be a lot of white/black/charcoal (a reason why I love Carlton's baby blue clash over their white one). Would have been nice to see a bit more orange to give more contrast, but on it's own I really love it.

Looks great - the only "issue" would be how much contrast is provided against a team like Collingwood - there would be a lot of white/black/charcoal (a reason why I love Carlton's baby blue clash over their white one). Would have been nice to see a bit more orange to give more contrast, but on it's own I really love it.

If the club and the early stories about it are staying true, expect there to be a third guernsey that will contain blue which would likely remove any other clashes that may arise.

It was announced on there Facebook page that it's the 2012 clash jumper

313124_295117123844142_167296666626189_981652_1740961886_n.jpg
I should hate this, but I don't. It could look a little soft with white shorts, but I hope they wear charcoal socks to break it up. Orange side panels with a grey lining could have made it look less like a training jumper. But hey.

I think I've come around to the home jumper. I guess I've gone full 360. I was a big fan of it when announced, then hated it. But in action, with the orange socks, I really like the balance in colour.

An orange guernsey would be preferencial though. The idea of the big, unmistakable stylised 'G' sitting atop an individual orange... it's a dream for marketing. The AFL have seem to let it slip a little.

I should hate this, but I don't. It could look a little soft with white shorts, but I hope they wear charcoal socks to break it up. Orange side panels with a grey lining could have made it look less like a training jumper. But hey.

I think I've come around to the home jumper. I guess I've gone full 360. I was a big fan of it when announced, then hated it. But in action, with the orange socks, I really like the balance in colour.

An orange guernsey would be preferencial though. The idea of the big, unmistakable stylised 'G' sitting atop an individual orange... it's a dream for marketing. The AFL have seem to let it slip a little.

Good ideas :thumbsu: My thoughts would be to add those side panels that you were talking about and change the white to silver (like this years clash). Had the same thought with the white shorts but I highly doubt the AFL will let them wear charcoal shorts :(
Still love the home jumper, it really does look quite mean with those new socks that I mentioned earlier. Still not convinced on the back but I'll have to wait to see it in action before I make too many judgements. Surely the club would've tried both options and I guess we all just have to trust that they've made the right choice.

I designed a set of GWS strips with a 'soccer-like' detailing. It had triangular trimmings around the neck... time to sue ISC! I'm sure the designs are around here somewhere.

White jumper with a G on it, how bloody original! It's not hideous but it's just SOOOOO BORING!!! (esp with the white shorts you just know they will wear with it). I bet the designers name was Steve. I really hate all these white clash tops....to me they represent a total lack of creativity and they just look so bland and generic now that almost every club has one. Seriously WTF are Adelaide, Brisbane, Hawthorn, WCE, GC and Melbourne doing in white?!

I would love more AFL clubs to go down the European football route whereby the clash can be any colour and can change from year to year. Just look at a club like Barca. They have one of the strongest identities in world sport but their clash tops have been every colour from hi-vis orange to aquamarine! But for some reason most clubs here are scared of anything adventurous and they would all rather look like some soulless default team-X. Hats off to Carlton for bucking the trend (even though I don't really like the shade of blue they used, something a bit less radioactive would've been good, but kudos to them for trying something different).

I must say I've been pretty disappointed with GC and GWS as clean sheet designs. GWS is just in front based on the colour scheme and the extreme poorness of GC's logo, but I think they could've done so much better with the design of their home jumper (the front is ok, the side/back kills it). Personally the home should've been mostly charcoal so the clash could've been mostly orange if they didn't want to go left field on colours. Either way they shouldn't have had to go anywhere near fricken white!

Honestly, I like it more then the home jumper. Keeps it reletively simple and avoids most clashs. Wouldn't think they'd have to wear it much though, possibly against Collingwood and Carlton.

White jumper with a G on it, how bloody original! It's not hideous but it's just SOOOOO BORING!!! (esp with the white shorts you just know they will wear with it). I bet the designers name was Steve. I really hate all these white clash tops....to me they represent a total lack of creativity and they just look so bland and generic now that almost every club has one. Seriously WTF are Adelaide, Brisbane, Hawthorn, WCE, GC and Melbourne doing in white?!

I would love more AFL clubs to go down the European football route whereby the clash can be any colour and can change from year to year. Just look at a club like Barca. They have one of the strongest identities in world sport but their clash tops have been every colour from hi-vis orange to aquamarine! But for some reason most clubs here are scared of anything adventurous and they would all rather look like some soulless default team-X. Hats off to Carlton for bucking the trend (even though I don't really like the shade of blue they used, something a bit less radioactive would've been good, but kudos to them for trying something different).

I must say I've been pretty disappointed with GC and GWS as clean sheet designs. GWS is just in front based on the colour scheme and the extreme poorness of GC's logo, but I think they could've done so much better with the design of their home jumper (the front is ok, the side/back kills it). Personally the home should've been mostly charcoal so the clash could've been mostly orange if they didn't want to go left field on colours. Either way they shouldn't have had to go anywhere near fricken white!

Honestly, over half of European Soccer Alternate strips are as fugly as can be. The only 'out there' design I like is Marseille's.

Seriously WTF are Adelaide, Brisbane, Hawthorn, WCE, GC and Melbourne doing in white?!
Actually adhering to the clash design requirements as set by the AFL. They shouldn't be faulted. They're conforming to the light/dark rulings set by the league. White is also preferencial for clash jumpers. They also sell very well for some reason. I've seen more white Carlton jumpers than navy. The same goes for Hawthorn.

I would love more AFL clubs to go down the European football route whereby the clash can be any colour and can change from year to year
I agree with you. An easy money maker. I don't see much fault with it. In fifteen years, who will remember Hawthorn's current clash abomination? It's actually liked in some circles. The same goes for their successful previous clash. They'll always retain their gold and brown stripes. Worst case scenario, it's becomes a variation of a theme - like Collingwood's Adidas additions, or, soccer's designs.

How many more colours with the Hawks bring into their palette? They'll always retain gold and brown in the clash. White is somewhat neutral, because I wouldn't say it's associated with one individual team. The club can utilise white, for say, two years, in a more 'out there' cartoonish design. The next, they can bring out the Heritage V. You can cyclically give all fans a catering. "Kids these days" have more disposable income. Australia has a fairly large middle class as well. And, well, footy is pretty much the country's biggest sport. Use a successful, highly supported side like Hawthorn, and there's your market.

You've pointed it out very well. A home strip is an identity. For most of us, our club's jumper represents everything: our cult heroes, our champions, our greatest wins, our heartbreaking losses, our connection. An away strip, is, pretty much a blank canvas for experimentation and for added income.

Actually adhering to the clash design requirements as set by the AFL. They shouldn't be faulted. They're conforming to the light/dark rulings set by the league. White is also preferencial for clash jumpers.

Firstly I think the AFL has got it wrong by using "light vs. dark" as the basis for the clash rules. Red and blue are both "dark colours" and technically shouldn't be seen in the same game together, but if you look at any Swans vs. Eagles (in royal) game there is more than enough contrast and it looks great.

But you're right that is a fault of the league (imo) not the clubs.

But even within these restrictions many clubs could still produce a great looking clash jumper without having to default to a boring white base. A club like Brisbane for instance could easily use gold/yellow as a base for its clash jumper and still satisfy the AFL's requirements. There is no need for them to use white.

And if a club needs to introduce a non-club colour to conform to these rules (Melbourne/Essendon comes to mind) then at least go all the way and make it interesting!!!

Big fan of that clash, and GWS' overall brand :thumbsu:

How many teams will GWS clash with though? Orange is pretty unique to AFL, I'd only think sides that wear red would be deemed a clash. Probably almost any team that wears red at all (Essendon for example) for maximum exposure. Brisbane probably too I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was announced on there Facebook page that it's the 2012 clash jumper

313124_295117123844142_167296666626189_981652_1740961886_n.jpg

They probably could have continued the design going down the sides. At the moment the shoulders are the only interesting part.
It's not bad but it's not great either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back