News New Jumpers for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand of the Gold Coast situation, I don't think Southport would be too keen on that arrangement.

Other than that it makes sense.
They just need to get creative. Could wear the Gold Coast Stingrays jumper from the old under 18’s state competition, that would resonate with a number of supporters of a certain age. I’m sure there are Gold Coast rep jumpers from yesteryear that they could resurrect.

Pretty sure it was Illawarra in the NBL, that rolled out an old district representation jersey for their heritage round a few years back.

IMG_9181.jpeg

There’s no history with Gather Round so the guernseys could have a different theme every year. Personally I’d like to see club’s have a go at a distant future design and a colour rush.
future designs, colour rush, reverse retro, fan made designs, "city edition" designs... the sky's the limit

As a Port supporter I don't think I'd have an issue with the Crows wearing non-Port SANFL teams past jumpers (with the SANFL team's consent/involvement/promotion of course). This principle could apply to other young teams as well:

Adelaide - non-Port SANFL teams
Fremantle - East & South Fremantle jumpers
West Coast - non-Fremantle WAFL teams
Gold Coast - Southport and other local teams
GWS - local teams in western Sydney and Canberra.

And of course Port Adelaide would wear its own jumpers back to 1870.

I'm not sure how all teams (including fans) would accept such an arrangement, but I think it could work quite well in principle.
I can guarantee you that the clubs would definitely not allow it.

They just need to get creative. Could wear the Gold Coast Stingrays jumper from the old under 18’s state competition, that would resonate with a number of supporters of a certain age. I’m sure there are Gold Coast rep jumpers from yesteryear that they could resurrect.

Pretty sure it was Illawarra in the NBL, that rolled out an old district representation jersey for their heritage round a few years back.

View attachment 2057389
Na, they changed colours at some point.

Adelaide - non-Port SANFL teams
I'll stop you there.

I don't want Crows rocking Double Blues kits.

The only team I'd accept them 'throwing back' to is the original Adelaide FC from the late 1800s.

I'd probably have us wear one of our away jumpers of the early 2000s or the 96 preseason jumper that's currently our clash jumper, since we haven't really changed our home jumper (unless side panels, needed or not count). But man, do Port supporters seem to have an opinion on what we're allowed to wear as a heritage jumper.

Alternatively, I wonder what the Combined Team was wearing in the 1914 game against Port.

Probably this, not sure I'd want us wearing that anyway.

SA-1913.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have zero connection to a club that disbanded a billion years ago.
Well aware. I never claimed that they were, hence the "throwing back" in quotation marks, because I know there's no connection. And, I'm a Carlton supporter, for what it's worth.

It's not a case of taking a team's identity, and claiming it as their own (Oh the little jabs that can be made, considering the team you follow 🤭), it's about honouring that history of the first Adelaide FC.

It’s funny given how over the top they are about flogging off every other gimmicky guernsey.
If you look at the jumper it was one of two games that didn't have the Ford logo above the number (Other being retro Jumper). I think they sold the exact jumper in 2021,and they just decided not to do another run in 2022 and it was sold and made in 2021.

Retro was either they done a retro in 2021 not used it because of Covid and used it in 2022, or they decided sponsors above the logo was only a couple of years old and it was more retro to remove it.

Well aware. I never claimed that they were, hence the "throwing back" in quotation marks, because I know there's no connection. And, I'm a Carlton supporter, for what it's worth.

It's not a case of taking a team's identity, and claiming it as their own (Oh the little jabs that can be made, considering the team you follow 🤭), it's about honouring that history of the first Adelaide FC.
I’m sure you can understand the apprehension at the idea from Port fans at that possible idea though (not me, I think it opens up some jabs back absolutely), all we hear from the dickhead segment of (mostly) Adelaide and Collingwood’s fans about how we shouldn’t wear a jumper that is actually ours cause it’s “not the same club” in their eyes. After the constant battle to try and get the bars worn on a yearly basis, seeing the Crows wearing a jumper that has zero connection to them would piss me off more than if they wore the state jumper in all honesty.
Also FWIW I haven’t missed your point at all, I know you were saying the original Adelaide FC jumper would make more sense than a current SANFL club, and I agree with that point. I just hope no one at the Crows is clueless enough to go down that route instead of one of their 2000s away jumpers or something like that which would be an easy money spinner I feel.

I’m sure you can understand the apprehension at the idea from Port fans at that possible idea though (not me, I think it opens up some jabs back absolutely), all we hear from the dickhead segment of (mostly) Adelaide and Collingwood’s fans about how we shouldn’t wear a jumper that is actually ours cause it’s “not the same club” in their eyes. After the constant battle to try and get the bars worn on a yearly basis, seeing the Crows wearing a jumper that has zero connection to them would piss me off more than if they wore the state jumper in all honesty.
Also FWIW I haven’t missed your point at all, I know you were saying the original Adelaide FC jumper would make more sense than a current SANFL club, and I agree with that point. I just hope no one at the Crows is clueless enough to go down that route instead of one of their 2000s away jumpers or something like that which would be an easy money spinner I feel.
Oh I do 100% get it, despite my shitstirring earlier, however I think it's a slightly different situation as well, as (I will be serious here) the two Port sides are linked, so it's naturally your own history to play with. There's obviously ulterior, emotional factors at play there that were preventing you previously.

Because of the fact that there is no connection at all between the original Adelaide side and the Crows today, the way I see it is there would be no uproar from those fans (considering there's none alive) and I think that kind of works in the Crows' favour, as the emotional connection is gone. They just need to market it as 'honouring the original club and SA football history', and not trying to claim a side's history as their own. I personally don't see an issue. Even change the colours into Crows colours, navy and red hoops, and include a yellow yoke if they want to honour the merge with Kensington as well (thanks footyjumpers.com 🫡).

I'm also not sure how much the Crows knew about the original club back in 1989-1990, but I feel like they may have even given a subtle nod to the club even with their home guernsey, just with the 'hoops with a yoke' design. It's not that drastically different.
Adelaide-1885.gif

Interesting about the state jumper. As you're Victorian, I'll try put it to you this way - would you rather Carlton plays in a Prahran Two Blues jumper, or wear the Big V?

Oh I do 100% get it, despite my shitstirring earlier, however I think it's a slightly different situation as well, as (I will be serious here) the two Port sides are linked, so it's naturally your own history to play with. There's obviously ulterior, emotional factors at play there that were preventing you previously.

Because of the fact that there is no connection at all between the original Adelaide side and the Crows today, the way I see it is there would be no uproar from those fans (considering there's none alive) and I think that kind of works in the Crows' favour, as the emotional connection is gone. They just need to market it as 'honouring the original club and SA football history', and not trying to claim a side's history as their own. I personally don't see an issue. Even change the colours into Crows colours, navy and red hoops, and include a yellow yoke if they want to honour the merge with Kensington as well (thanks footyjumpers.com 🫡).

I'm also not sure how much the Crows knew about the original club back in 1989-1990, but I feel like they may have even given a subtle nod to the club even with their home guernsey, just with the 'hoops with a yoke' design. It's not that drastically different.
View attachment 2058150

Interesting about the state jumper. As you're Victorian, I'll try put it to you this way - would you rather Carlton plays in a Prahran Two Blues jumper, or wear the Big V?
like what freo did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back