News New Jumpers for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's to say clubs can't reuse jumper designs? most clubs wear the exact same kits every year with slight tweaks and sponsor changes. Sydney & West Coast recycled their indigenous jumper designs for several years without change.
If that'd be the case the I can't help but feel that the novelty of a retro round will have worn off in a few years.

On the anchor vs chevrons debate, I never understood the anchor, I mean, it looks good, but an anchor is supposed to sink to the bottom and stop movement. Why would you want that as your clubs main identifier?
Personally think the whole “metaphor” thing for mascots etc is a bit childish.

Is anyone actually intimidated by a house cat, bulldog, magpie or “blue”.

Freo is a wharfie town, it’s a connector and local. What it “symbolizes” sounds like some think tank consultant bullshit that winds up netting you the “suns” because “the future is bright”

On the anchor vs chevrons debate, I never understood the anchor, I mean, it looks good, but an anchor is supposed to sink to the bottom and stop movement. Why would you want that as your clubs main identifier?
But the current guernsey has a similar theme with the chevrons pointing downward, could be perceived like they're going down. Also, the anchor could be perceived as "docking" hence their name "The Dockers", or they're placing their anchor on top of their opponents. :laughing:

Mens bars thicker than previous/wonensView attachment 2064049
Such a shame Port can't wear the Prison Bars for home games because the variations would make them mint: white or black cuffs, various numbers of pylons, changes of weight...

Everyone says 'but they're Collingwood colours!' but the reality is Channel 7 never show interstate games into Victoria and most people are smooth brained and wouldn't even make the association.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a shame Port can't wear the Prison Bars for home games because the variations would make them mint: white or black cuffs, various numbers of pylons, changes of weight...

Everyone says 'but they're Collingwood colours!' but the reality is Channel 7 never show interstate games into Victoria and most people are smooth brained and wouldn't even make the association.
Their current kit is getting stale, they should use their first kit, and have the PB's saved for more special occasions, like gather round, showdowns, and any special home games otherwise it becomes overused keep it prestious and special

Without wanting to reignite (or just set off the pies supporters).

I get not letting them wear it week on week but I think not letting them wear it once off each year (home team in a showdown for example) is ****ing ridiculous.

Without wanting to reignite (or just set off the pies supporters).

I get not letting them wear it week on week but I think not letting them wear it once off each year (home team in a showdown for example) is ****ing ridiculous.
they deserve to wear it at least once, but i would say every showdown and gather round

I feel like Freo has had so many interesting shades of green, red, and purple and now we're just basically wearing navy blue.

I don't think many people would connote Freo with purple anymore – genuinely. it's more attached to shit memes like 'Flagmantle' and players. those things come and go. the colour of the club shouldn't.

I feel like Freo has had so many interesting shades of green, red, and purple and now we're just basically wearing navy blue.

I don't think many people would connote Freo with purple anymore – genuinely. it's more attached to shit memes like 'Flagmantle' and players. those things come and go. the colour of the club shouldn't.
Whenever we do retro round, I have the same feeling that when you see the original 4 colours (purple, green, red and white) you immediately think of Freo, but purple and white could be Freo, could be Melbourne Storm, Sacramento Kings etc.

Whenever we do retro round, I have the same feeling that when you see the original 4 colours (purple, green, red and white) you immediately think of Freo, but purple and white could be Freo, could be Melbourne Storm, Sacramento Kings etc.
If AFL is being viewed, I doubt people think of basketball and rugby teams. I don't think of San Jose Sharks or Jacksonville Jaguars whenever Port plays.

To be honest, I probably think of AFL teams whenever those American teams play.

Sure, Freo's purple and white these days isn't groundbreaking in the greater sporting world, but the purple in itself is unique enough in this sport to recognise who it is.

If AFL is being viewed, I doubt people think of basketball and rugby teams. I don't think of San Jose Sharks or Jacksonville Jaguars whenever Port plays.

To be honest, I probably think of AFL teams whenever those American teams play.

Sure, Freo's purple and white these days isn't groundbreaking in the greater sporting world, but the purple in itself is unique enough in this sport to recognise who it is.
I more meant when it comes to merch in public, a purple/white beanie or scarf could be any of those teams but the original colours were completely unique and I’d say that’s pretty important when creating a brand.

Spot on, I’ve found the 1914 bars to be my favourite version which is strange because almost everything about it is different to the version we’re used to seeing, but it’s still the Prison Bars.

Furthering your point, the “but Collingwood!” argument has always been weird to me, cause when you flick on channel 7 and see a scoreboard that says Port Adelaide, with a big PA monogram on it, as Connor Rozee hits Jason Horne-Francis lace out in front of goal, while wearing a jumper with MG and GFG sponsors on it, there’s no way anyone sees all those context clues and goes “Collingwood are playing?”. Quite literally nobody, and if anyone was to genuinely get confused, they’ll either get a chance to learn a history lesson as simple as “yeah they wore black and white for 100 odd years before joining the league”, or they don’t care enough about footy and therefore aren’t the target market for either club.

Gold Coast really are keen to move on from the current look hey? I don't think they've won their regular jumper for about ten weeks. they used the Indigenous (and the second Indigenous) as much as they could, but what's the relation in wearing it in Perth tonight?

My conspiratorial tilt is that the one they're wearing tonight, with the bit of a gradient going on, is going to resemble their next look. someone on here mentioned that a yellow-to-red look was one of the options presented to members. and from memory, it was the only option with a new, upgraded logo on it.

Also, only half-related, but has anyone seen North's quiet change to using the bounding roo ident on their social media? it's across all of them. basically a simplified, more internet-friendly version of the 2000s 'Kangaroos' logo.

That 2018ish rebrand was a Barry Crocker, genuinely terrible at the time and even worse now. a real shame because I remember people on here found some great, binned off alternatives that were presented.

Gold Coast really are keen to move on from the current look hey? I don't think they've won their regular jumper for about ten weeks. they used the Indigenous (and the second Indigenous) as much as they could, but what's the relation in wearing it in Perth tonight?

My conspiratorial tilt is that the one they're wearing tonight, with the bit of a gradient going on, is going to resemble their next look. someone on here mentioned that a yellow-to-red look was one of the options presented to members. and from memory, it was the only option with a new, upgraded logo on it.

Also, only half-related, but has anyone seen North's quiet change to using the bounding roo ident on their social media? it's across all of them. basically a simplified, more internet-friendly version of the 2000s 'Kangaroos' logo.

That 2018ish rebrand was a Barry Crocker, genuinely terrible at the time and even worse now. a real shame because I remember people on here found some great, binned off alternatives that were presented.
Was announced last year that they would wear an indigenous design away (except when we play teams like sydney and we wear blue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back