Mega Thread New Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: New Stadium - Time for Cautious Optimism?

It is a failure. It should have been built years ago and has cost some 400 million dollars more.

The fact it's been poorly managed thus far during construction does not mean it's altogether a failure. Once built it will have decades of value.

We could have had a stadium by now, far more important than some mediocre arena.

IMO, Subiaco is a better stadium for football then what Challenge Stadium/Burswood Dome are for entertainment and I've been to the likes of Etihad and the MCG. As such, I think the Arena is a greater priority. Burswood and Challenge are totally unsuitable for entertainment and are pretty makeshift for sports events.

Its funny how everyone from perth who go to etihad rave about how good the place is in every way (im one of them), yet you read the posts from melbourne people and they bag that out as well.

perth arena - 125,000 just for 16 signs. wow. 500 million for 12,000 seats. Is the government going to own the thing? I'd be worried about how much they charge for rent / admission to the place to try and get value for their money.

Then we will lose the Hopman Cup.

It will probably collapse anyway when they sink the rest of the railway and cost an extra 150 mill to fix that.

Geeze im a cynical person.

Time for Cautious Barnett to get this stadium built.

Time for WA to vote this ******** out of office.

I totally agree with the second paragraph but Barnett is losing ratings and I hope desperately that he gets another term at the minimum as well but I doubt it :(
Lol. Surely Labour would be the ones more likely to invest in infrastructure considering their more leftist approach to governance. Not saying I want labour in government but if you want a new stadium I think they're the more likely party to commit to any real plans.

And vote in Ripper!? :eek:

He'll be gone before the next election. Shame MacTiernan ins't around anymore.

As strange as it sounds I think it's best we keep Barnett, changing Premiers means probably changing the whole plan again which will take another one to two years. He said he will update us in June sometime so I'm hoping he keeps his promise.

The reason it is not going to be at Kitchener Park is because of the trees that have been there for a millennium, they won't be chopping them down as they are sentimental to WA (apparently). The best bloody place for a stadium would have been where the massive failure of Perth Arena is. They should have made room and built a docklands like ground there. Personally I don't give a **** where they build the stadium as long as they build it.
Dude your talking about the wrong park. Kitchener Park is the grass oval with one set of goals and is used on game day for parking.

The park next to it is Mueller Park which has trees that are native and been around for years.

It is a failure. It should have been built years ago and has cost some 400 million dollars more.

People who have been worked on building it have been rocking up at close to 8 sitting around and there would be 15 people maximum working on it before knocking off at 3-4pm.

Had the employees and employers put effort into building it quicker, had 400 million not dissapeared then no it wouldn't have been a failure.

We could have had a stadium by now, far more important than some mediocre arena.
How can something be a failure if its not even finished yet? Is the Sydney Harbour Bridge a failure because it went way over budget and took the government 70 years to pay off??

Anyways before you sprout crap about it being a failure, get some facts right... The $150 million budget was for a white tin shed to be built private. Once the government realised that no-one wanted to do it, they decided to go at it themselves and hence going back to step 1. Perth Arena will be the only thing in Perth, that will be considered as truly 'world class'.

Also when this thing started, the construction industry was massively overheated and materials and supplies were at a record price. No way something of this magnitude was going to be built even at the revised price.

The carpark which was going to be built next to the arena was changed to be underground and hence a good year added to process.

Oh and BGC is notorious in the building industry for being the slowest builder in Perth. The CEO even criticized this project for being 'too hard to be built' and that materials were 'too big'.

As strange as it sounds I think it's best we keep Barnett, changing Premiers means probably changing the whole plan again which will take another one to two years. He said he will update us in June sometime so I'm hoping he keeps his promise.

Yeah this is my line of thinking. The amount they have invested into looking at the proposals is actually that significant now im sure they will commit to a stadium soon.

How can something be a failure if its not even finished yet? Is the Sydney Harbour Bridge a failure because it went way over budget and took the government 70 years to pay off??

Anyways before you sprout crap about it being a failure, get some facts right... The $150 million budget was for a white tin shed to be built private. Once the government realised that no-one wanted to do it, they decided to go at it themselves and hence going back to step 1. Perth Arena will be the only thing in Perth, that will be considered as truly 'world class'.

Also when this thing started, the construction industry was massively overheated and materials and supplies were at a record price. No way something of this magnitude was going to be built even at the revised price.

The carpark which was going to be built next to the arena was changed to be underground and hence a good year added to process.

Oh and BGC is notorious in the building industry for being the slowest builder in Perth. The CEO even criticized this project for being 'too hard to be built' and that materials were 'too big'.

I wouldn't be comparing our 'kicked in coke can' with the sydney harbour bridge. Also its funny how 70 years after the bridge was built NSW are still in a shocking way with finances.

No way it was going to be built at the revised price: Then why was it signed off on?
Car park: The one on the side wasn't even in the original design, it was forgotten let alone then being changed again to underground: Why was this signed off on?
BGC chosen and are the slowest builder in Perth with the CEO doubting it: Why was it signed off on?

These things clearly show it as a failure of a project to date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perth Arena may well end up a good venue (It's a 10-15,000 indoor seater, it's not really going to be that special), but the project is an example of very poor project management, with the government and construction contractor undoubtedly at fault.

Bloody hell guys, cut us some slack.

As JuddyLike said Perth Arena is a world class, state of the art design not some run of the mill indoor stadia. BGC is known as a slow constructor because it takes on these innovative and unique projects (unlike all the other play-it-safe eng firms in this city) and actually does them well. Perth will be very proud of this venue when it's complete.

Hopefully the outdoor stadium is just as ambitious and done properly, i.e. not a rushed job to keep the plebs happy.

I wouldn't be comparing our 'kicked in coke can' with the sydney harbour bridge. Also its funny how 70 years after the bridge was built NSW are still in a shocking way with finances.

No way it was going to be built at the revised price: Then why was it signed off on?
Car park: The one on the side wasn't even in the original design, it was forgotten let alone then being changed again to underground: Why was this signed off on?
BGC chosen and are the slowest builder in Perth with the CEO doubting it: Why was it signed off on?

These things clearly show it as a failure of a project to date.
Ok il put it to you this way... Has anything infrastructure wise, been built in Perth without a revised design, to plan, without disruptions andmost importantly to budget? I can only think of the Forrest Highway.

If this project is a failure, so is Perth as a city.

Dude your talking about the wrong park. Kitchener Park is the grass oval with one set of goals and is used on game day for parking.

The park next to it is Mueller Park which has trees that are native and been around for years.

brainfade thanks for correcting me, I know there was discussions about the stadium but kitchener park couldn't be an option because the trees had something to do with it, no idea how they relate though.

I like the look of this
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...ed-to-footbridge/story-e6frg14c-1226068989833

One small positive that hasn't really been touched on for having the stadium built at Burswood (or just not at Subi) is that it will not interrupt with Subi games as it is being built.

Imagine what a nightmare it would be having that whole area next to Paterson's under construction.

pretty sure these are the designs for the stadium that carpenter wanted to build:

PerthsNewStadium.jpg

stadium-5807294.jpg

iirc the exterior was suppose to be lights that would be in team colours for the day such as blue and gold for wce games, thought that was a pretty cool idea.

IMO if/when they build the new stadium, they need to build it to support fans for the future (upwards of 70/80k) and not just people who need seats atm (50-70k) otherwise we'll be in the same position in 20-30 years, so if they decide to build one to support the future generations they should be looking at a seating capacity similar to the MCG.

I don't know the details on the above stadium but I'd suggest a stadium in China has little relevance to Perth.

It's a 15,000 seat indoor stadium. Given it cost USD200m it's an entirely relevant comparison to the allegedly 'World class' Perth Arena which will cost considerably more.

[youtube]YqyUWiVf_Bc[/youtube]

USD200m.

Let's not kid ourselves that Perth Arena is something totally groundbreaking.

Cool roof but it's an inferior building to the Arena as you will see when it's complete. North Americans wrote the book on sub 25,000 seat multi purpose indoor stadiums and have build 20,000 stadiums for well under 200 million USD.

pretty sure these are the designs for the stadium that carpenter wanted to build:

PerthsNewStadium.jpg

stadium-5807294.jpg

iirc the exterior was suppose to be lights that would be in team colours for the day such as blue and gold for wce games, thought that was a pretty cool idea.

IMO if/when they build the new stadium, they need to build it to support fans for the future (upwards of 70/80k) and not just people who need seats atm (50-70k) otherwise we'll be in the same position in 20-30 years, so if they decide to build one to support the future generations they should be looking at a seating capacity similar to the MCG.

That idea is f***ing awesome

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread New Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back