Mega Thread New Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: New Stadium - Time for Cautious Optimism?

It's a 15,000 seat indoor stadium. Given it cost USD200m it's an entirely relevant comparison to the allegedly 'World class' Perth Arena which will cost considerably more.

Maybe we can import the whole chinese workforce over for $20 a week rather than $20 an hour.

Or get materials and building costs that are just cheap as anything here in Perth.

Or maybe we can just get rid of the massive red tape in Perth and the rules and regulations that ensures safety standards are met and maintained.

Maybe we can import the whole chinese workforce over for $20 a week rather than $20 an hour.

Or get materials and building costs that are just cheap as anything here in Perth.

Or maybe we can just get rid of the massive red tape in Perth and the rules and regulations that ensures safety standards are met and maintained.

Alternatively we could clearly define the project scope before contracts are signed and works begin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allianz_Arena

€550m including surrounding infrastructure and financing costs. That's about $740m, and the stadium was open 2 and a half years after first ground was broken. I guess it's just cheap labour and materials and poor safety standards that allow zee Germans to do things properly...

I guess it's just cheap labour and materials and poor safety standards that allow zee Germans to do things properly...

Or the fact that it was 2002-2005, $740m then is at least $900m now due to inflation, which our stadium could easily be built for on a greenfield site like Allianz was. Plus materials are actually much cheaper in germany, but then so is everything:eek:

The eagles and dockers haven't seemed exactly keen on the idea but i have been surprised that they aren't just downright opposed to it and vehemently arguing against it. Lets look at the realities here.

Imagine if we could just wave a wand and create a new 65,000 seat stadium at the end of this season to use for 2011. How many of the eagles curent 40,000 members would renew their membership for 2011 if they knew that they could decide not to renew it and instead just pick the individual games they wanted to go in 2011 and buy match tickets the week before and they could also buy back their membership at any point in the future if they decided they wanted to? I reckon less than half.

If we had a stadium big enough that people in Perth that our members could get match tickets to any game they wanted, as is the case with Melbourne clubs with the exception of a handful of sold out games each year, we would have less than 20k members next year in my opinion. Imagine what a turnaround in the clubs finances and power that would be.

I think you'll find the Eagles have a capped 15,000 people on their waiting list, 'In the wings'.

I know a number of people who have become Dockers members because they could never see themselves getting to the head of the queue at the Eagles.

Or the fact that it was 2002-2005, $740m then is at least $900m now due to inflation, which our stadium could easily be built for on a greenfield site like Allianz was. Plus materials are actually much cheaper in germany, but then so is everything:eek:

$900m might, at a stretch, get us a stadium.

There is no way in hell it will get us a stadium and the required surrounding infrastructure, as compared above.

Let's put cost aside for a second. Zee Germans got it done in 2 and a half years. In 2011 after many years of faffing around we are talking about 2017 onwards. It boggles the mind how inefficient we are.

I wish I shared your optimism.
It won't happen, because the government don't fund these projects like that... They'd rather spread the spend. It's possible under a differeent model, like an Aliance, but not at Burswood with those ground comditions

$900m might, at a stretch, get us a stadium.

There is no way in hell it will get us a stadium and the required surrounding infrastructure, as compared above.

Let's put cost aside for a second. Zee Germans got it done in 2 and a half years. In 2011 after many years of faffing around we are talking about 2017 onwards. It boggles the mind how inefficient we are.
I will disagree with you about the worthiness of Perth Arena. However I will agree with you on the new stadium.

No way in hell a new stadium will be built to budget. It's just how things are in Perth. If you look up the train tracks from Perth Arena, the new Northbridge Link is already over projected budget and its in the first 4 or 5 months of a 6 year odd construction process.

The stadium is projected to cost $1.1 Billion today but in 5 or 6 years time, the figure will most likely be closely to $2 Billion and expected finish date closer to 2020.

Watch this space people, Burswood is about to be officially announced as the site for the new stadium.

ABC are saying in the next 24 hours, the West Australian are saying two weeks (but they are probably talking about the complete design to print).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like I said in the thread on the main board:

Ambrose Burnside said:
60 000 is fine if the stadium is designed to be easily upgradeable.

Now all we need is confirmation that it will face the right way (unlike Docklands) and has identical ground dimensions to Subi :thumbsu:

Subi, MCG are both East West. As are the Adelaide Oval and the Gabba.

North/South like Docklands is a disaster. Less time for sunlight on the ground, therefore turf problems like Etihad has all the time.

Pretty sure ANZ Stadium is north/south as well?

Matching Subi's size is a must. How does Docklands face the "wrong" way? I thought most grounds were North-South just like it.

Wikipedia said:
Issues with the [Dockland's] ability to grow grass all year round can be attributed to the stadium's irregular North-South orientation which was a requirement due to its placement between the surrounding roads and Docklands body of water. In particular, the Northern end of the stadium only receives 6 weeks of sunlight a year. Concerts held at the stadium are also usually placed at the Southern end due to the ability for grass to recover faster in that section of the ground.
And we all know about the turf issues at Docklands. Might not be as big an issue is sunny WA, but I certainly don't want to risk it! And because Docklands is usually sunny at one end and shady at the other, it is difficult for players and spectators to see. It makes for a horrible spectacle when the roof is open.

I'm unsure of how the orientation of the Oval should be. Firstly it's an oval, i.e. nearly a circle so surely we're going to get light/shade parts of the ground no matter the orientation. And it sounds like it's going to be a tall stadium with the upper tiers really hanging over the field (great for viewing the game) but the designs so far have pictures with a non-uniform roof height (lots of roof "sections" hanging over the stands) and I wonder if this is an innovation to help with the sunlight/growing grass problem with the lower sections being on the north and south wings of an E/W orientated ground.

Then again we are 700kms close to the equator than Melbourne so will always have a sun higher in the sky than them as well as more sunny days so maybe it won't be a problem?

Then there is the wind. We have predominantly East/West winds in Perth so would we prefer a distinct wind advantage from quarter to quarter or a constant cross breeze??

Great day in WA history, and brilliant day for WA Football.

2018 seems like a generation away, I didn't invisige it'd take longer than four years to build.

Re: WA approves new stadium

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/117294/default.aspx

"WA Premier Colin Barnett announced on Tuesday that the new multi-purpose stadium would be built on the Burswood Peninsula with a capacity of 60,000 and the ability to expand to 70,000."

Im happy. Anyone have any reservations?

I would like them to build the players' rooms where the coaches' boxes are, and have the players glide down to the ground on a flying fox.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread New Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back