Mega Thread New Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: New Stadium - Time for Cautious Optimism?

12 massive stadiums for a population less than WA?

Our governments may be slow and wasteful - but they aren't that wasteful

Realize their nations have no future and will party till the oil runs out. :D:thumbsu:

Apparently all of there stadiums are going to be removable as well and they are going to distribute them around there country I believe after the cup...

I wish we had there government.
They are sending them all off to Africa after the WC reportedly.

How the **** are they going to do that?

i am a west aussie living in melbourne for the last two years,
melbourne seems to reach into their pocket to continually spend to create new sports, arts, entertainment attractions, knowing that it will reap benefits and more importantly keeps the city exciting.

WA has the money and resources to do it but keep dwindling on the same issues, stadiums, freeways, trains...
spend the money on the people, what else is it being saved for?

head....nail

Apparently all of there stadiums are going to be removable as well and they are going to distribute them around there country I believe after the cup...

I wish we had there government.

they dont have a government

hereditary dictator, be careful what you wish for

interesting the russian mafia won the earlier event - we fail at corruption

**** you corrupt fifa w***ers. All i wanted was a ****ing stadium so i could watch the eagles :(

Now i have to listen to colin barnett prattle on about bullshit as to why we as a state cant afford it. The guy isn't intelligent enough to be worthy of tying most peoples ****ing shoelaces let alone running the state. If labor offer a stadium then i will vote for them....................

After the Festival of Speed on the weekend, i started thinking, do we have ANY decent sporting venues in the state? Challenge Stadium is a pretty good pool, um, and that's about it.

With all the cash the state gets from Mining royalties, to say we cant afford it is a complete farce.

IMHO, it should be built @ Burswood, but then the govt will also have to improve access for those south of the river. Yes they would have to pile, but as stated earlier in the thread, $250mill would buy one helluvalot of piling... It would be offset by the fact that Packer was going to give the land for free!

One thing i would love to see, which i have said to a few friends is put it in the middle of the Swan River, between city and south perth. Ok, never happen due to the obvious enviro and engineering costs, but imagine how awesome that would look, with causeways lined with shops, cafes, and shuttle buses from Esplanade Station. It would be a huge attraction and something we could be proud of.

**** you corrupt fifa w***ers. All i wanted was a ****ing stadium so i could watch the eagles :(

Now i have to listen to colin barnett prattle on about bullshit as to why we as a state cant afford it. The guy isn't intelligent enough to be worthy of tying most peoples ****ing shoelaces let alone running the state. If labor offer a stadium then i will vote for them....................

U-mad-brah.jpg

I'd love a new stadium where the Belmont Park racecourse currently sits. I reckon racing should move completely to Ascot leaving the BP site free for redevelopment. Could end up being a beautiful river site with a bit of planning and imagination. I heard somewhere the other day that racing in WA was a bit strapped for cash, they might look favourably on a good offer for the site. Plus the site is big enough to build other facilities there and become a bit of a sporting complex.

I'd love a new stadium where the Belmont Park racecourse currently sits. I reckon racing should move completely to Ascot leaving the BP site free for redevelopment. Could end up being a beautiful river site with a bit of planning and imagination. I heard somewhere the other day that racing in WA was a bit strapped for cash, they might look favourably on a good offer for the site. Plus the site is big enough to build other facilities there and become a bit of a sporting complex.

My teacher suggested this years ago, however I'd imagine the ground/terrain would not be suitable?

My teacher suggested this years ago, however I'd imagine the ground/terrain would not be suitable?

I'm no engineer, but I understand it needs more work on the foundations comapred to Kitchener Park. Not impossible, just more expensive. But if we are looking to the long term then it might be a good investment. Plenty of room for growth there.

From what I understand, the Belmont and Ascot racecourses are different types of tracks for different seasons.

I doubt they can be combined.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feds should still fund stadium: Barnett

“So for AFL football but also for other major events particularly international competitions, this city does need a world standard stadium.
“We are behind the facilities of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane yet Western Australian and Perth is a booming part of the Australian economy.”

That bit sounds positive anyway.

Personally, I think Burswood Sporting / Entertainment precint is the way to go. Will also need a better Rail station there.

Feds should still fund stadium: Barnett

“So for AFL football but also for other major events particularly international competitions, this city does need a world standard stadium.
“We are behind the facilities of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane yet Western Australian and Perth is a booming part of the Australian economy.”

That bit sounds positive anyway.

Personally, I think Burswood Sporting / Entertainment precint is the way to go. Will also need a better Rail station there.

At what price to footy?

The bums on seats will be footy followers, at what cost to them? At what cost to the game in WA?

Doubt highly that the government is going to give Barnett funding for a stadium. And it is playing politics a bit IMO for him to ask, deflecting the blame a little.

I think Perth Racing owns the site and they have their own plans to build their own precint with highrises, etc.

Also I highly doubt they will sell the land to the WA Gov for a couple of dollars.

Doubt highly that the government is going to give Barnett funding for a stadium. And it is playing politics a bit IMO for him to ask, deflecting the blame a little.
Well the MCG got fed funding (be it for the Comm Games) and Homebush got it as well (be it for the 2000 games).

But f.ck me, what do we ever get? Not just in stadiums but in roads, railways, etc, etc.

Well the MCG got fed funding (be it for the Comm Games) and Homebush got it as well (be it for the 2000 games).

But f.ck me, what do we ever get? Not just in stadiums but in roads, railways, etc, etc.

That would of been an investment into the Australian economy because of the large amount of money those events generate.

I think Perth has gotten quite a bit of infastructure built in the last 10 years. Dont know if the government has paid for any of it though.

That would of been an investment into the Australian economy because of the large amount of money those events generate.
Yet the argument can be made about the amount of money the WA economy makes for the rest of the country compared to the returns we receive in funding for infrastructure.

As it stands, WA desperately (except if you ask Barnett) needs new infrastructure in its stadiums yet we can't afford it (according to Barnett).

I think Perth has gotten quite a bit of infastructure built in the last 10 years. Dont know if the government has paid for any of it though.
We have got diddly sweet f all compared to the rest of the country.

The only infrastructure of massive note is the railway line to Mandurah. The one before that is the tunnel and how long ago was that?

Although we are getting a raft of infrastructure coming up that is solely or primarily funded by the WA Gov in the Arena, Theatre, Hospital, Foreshore, NB Link.

Yet the argument can be made about the amount of money the WA economy makes for the rest of the country compared to the returns we receive in funding for infrastructure.

As it stands, WA desperately (except if you ask Barnett) needs new infrastructure in its stadiums yet we can't afford it (according to Barnett).

We have got diddly sweet f all compared to the rest of the country.

The only infrastructure of massive note is the railway line to Mandurah. The one before that is the tunnel and how long ago was that?

Although we are getting a raft of infrastructure coming up that is solely or primarily funded by the WA Gov in the Arena, Theatre, Hospital, Foreshore, NB Link.
NB links had 250m Fed funding, 38m COP, and condition of the Fed funding was same funding from the State.

They also tipped in a pile for the hospital.

Also the Perth-Bunbury freeway was funded at least partly by the Feds. According to the signs down it during construction at least. I can't remember who paid SGA's bills when I was looking at that.

Not from the feds.

Hell, the feds haven't even sorted out funding for extra CHOAG security next year.

What I love is how there are federal, state and CHOGM security committees. Why the **** do we need 3? Why not just have 1 committee made up of reps of each side.

Such a waste of money.

Then to get ready, they decide they need to re-do Wellington St, Spring St, St Georges Tce and William St all at the same time. They are some of our most important roads in the city. What idiot decides it is a good idea to close half the lanes at the same time???

I'm no engineer, but I understand it needs more work on the foundations comapred to Kitchener Park. Not impossible, just more expensive. But if we are looking to the long term then it might be a good investment. Plenty of room for growth there.

"Not impossible" i think is the actual term used in the report :thumbsu:

"Possible" is being a bit generous, so not impossible sums it up nicely. The area has groundwater currents and highly unsuitable soil. Check out how the Japanese went building multi-billion dollar structure on a similar site..... they spent another few billion defending the airport with seawalls as it sank into the sea.

Kitchener Park seems the way to go IMO, can build most of it while Subi is still there, good central location and a long football tradition. Lets just bloody do it already!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread New Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back