New Tiger Dawn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Been a fan of the tiger list for a while now. Am particularly buoyant about Vickery, whom I have been a fan of since he was drafted. They have some holes, but in a compromised draft they may be able to trade to fill those. Hardwick is just the right bloke for that side, and I think their administration is also performing better than in years past. Would not surprise me to see them having a crack at the eight next year.

Good post Jade :thumbsu: You may be biased towards Carlton, but your assessments are usually spot on.

Our youngest list to (most likely) finish 9th since 1994.

That list from 1993-2001 (mostly guys like Richo, Knights, Kellaway, Bowden, Gale's, Broderick, Gasper...ect) got us into 2 prelim finals.

I think we're seeing similarities between those kind of players and Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Vickery, Rance, Deledio ect)

I think we will see a few finals from now till 2015, but any premierships? That's up to God, lol.

I still think the Tigers are way off. They have some genuine quality and some absolute stars in the making, but their bottom... 8-10 players will let them down. Grigg, Houli, Foley, Morton, Tuck, King, Miller, Edwards, Thursfield are all duds who should make way as soon as quality players in comparable positions can take their spot.
You clearly have no idea. I expect that though from Carlton fans.

I still think the Tigers are way off. They have some genuine quality and some absolute stars in the making, but their bottom... 8-10 players will let them down. Grigg, Houli, Foley, Morton, Tuck, King, Miller, Edwards, Thursfield are all duds who should make way as soon as quality players in comparable positions can take their spot.

stupid, stupid comment

especially foley and tuck

wtf?

Not far off contesting finals, shown by splitting the games between Sydney and Essendon this year and drawing with the saints. Still a long way off being a good side and top 4 contender shown by the losses averaging about 10 goals against the top 5 this year.

If they can find 2 more mature age recruits (another defender would be nice), continue to draft well, then their improvement will really click up a gear in 2012

Morton is nowhere near a dud. Would have kicked 40+ goals this year and last year if he played 20 games up forward both seasons. Hardwick is making him a better player by playing him at Coburg

Miller? Morton? They definitely are.

King doesn't have a lot of upside, Edwards turns the ball over a lot (would fit in perfectly at North) and Tuck and Thursfield haven't received many opportunities this year due to injury/selection. Grigg I'm not sure about.
Foley and Houli I rate :thumbsu:

Duds may have been a harsh word, but the bulk of the players named aren't the ones to take the Tiges up to the top 4.

On topic, the Tigers show wonderful spirit and whilst people may say 'But they always end the year this way', well at least they are attempting to win every game and develop a winning culture, rather then limp out the year ala Bulldogs or Melbourne. And these are better signs then losing your last 3, so there are a lot of positives to take out.

I like the Tigers, get Jack fully fit, develop Vickery into the gun CHF he can be, add some more young depth to the midfield of Cotchin, Martin, Conca, Jackson, Tuck, Foley and Edwards, trade for a ruck, improve the defence to release Deledio into the midfield, but Newman, Houli, Rance and Post is a promising core defence. Find another small forward and 3rd tall and the rest will be up to development.

Defence: Newman, Houli, Rance, Post, Batchelor

1st tier midfield: New ruckman, Deledio, Martin, Cotchin, Conca, Foley
2nd tier midfield: Graham, Tuck, Jackson, Edwards, Grigg, Farmer

Forwards: Riewoldt, Vickery, Nahas

Good post. Except Morton isn't a dud. Miller? Meh a rookie list pick up that has been serviceable. But has been prominent in our end of season wins.

I think with Richmond a lot of people are commentating that have no idea. I mean, saying we do this all the time is nonsense when it is a clearly different situation this time. I mean, Hardwick has dismantled a horrible list when he took over. Horrible. He has made more draft selections in the past two years then anyother team.

This is the second youngest team in the league. Not much older than Gold Coast. So whilst they get the kudos for there good and bright future, so to should we.

You certainly live up to your name.
When i first joined bigfooty i was a die hard richmond fan and we were just about to rise, I thought the name was appropriate

Have beaten Sydney, Essendon, North and Freo- all better than us at the moment by Ladder position. Also robbed of a win but managed a draw against the Saints.
No doubt some good victorys, However richmond do this every second/third year, mini clear out and hold down a bottom 4 position, next year gain some momentum, and the next year its a train wreck, Im hoping they keep it and having a fit Riewoldt, A more settled back 6 will, However i've been burned before

lol at new tiger dawn.

Last week it was North are the next great team after a win and now the tiges are back.

People have the memory of a goldfish around here.

The Tigers have so many holes in their side it's not funny. They need to find at least 4-6 blokes to challenge for the 8 and hope that all of their better players keep on improving.

I'm pretty sure their top 5-10 players would have played more games than any other teams top 5-10 players.

Not far off contesting finals, shown by splitting the games between Sydney and Essendon this year and drawing with the saints.

You're hanging your hat on wins over Sydney and Essendon? Both were clearly not at their best when you knocked them over.

That being said, I was impressed today with the win away from home when the game looked lost and against a side who had been in reasonable form.

Should accept nothing less than 9th next year :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Essendon were top 4 and being touted as premiership chance when we knocked them over. Also we beat Sydney and the following weeks they have beaten Saints and Geelong.

I would say we knocked them over when they were at there best...

PTizzle in 2010 (probably): Been impressed with the Tigers as of late. I think next year will be an interesting year for their development. This year with Riedwolt being the focal point they've done quite well for themselves.

Nah, they were pretty poor last year all around I thought, bit of fight was starting to show but this year has been far better. I reckon Hardwick is starting to have a good effect on the group and Houli was a good pickup.

Did you really have to make this thread?

We have some good young talent but lack depth. Hopefully continue to rectify this during this year's draft/trade period. We've won a few games, who cares. Let's see how go next year, finals will be the aim.

You're hanging your hat on wins over Sydney and Essendon? Both were clearly not at their best when you knocked them over.

That being said, I was impressed today with the win away from home when the game looked lost and against a side who had been in reasonable form.

Should accept nothing less than 9th next year :thumbsu:

What a copout. They weren't at there best because we were harder at the contest. Essendon were playing far better footy and Sydney marked the game as a final and have since bet the Saints and Cats.

The list is developing. We need some midfield depth and hope that more of our young talls can develop as Rance and Vickery have this season.

Well Essendon were top 4 and being touted as premiership chance when we knocked them over. Also we beat Sydney and the following weeks they have beaten Saints and Geelong.

I would say we knocked them over when they were at there best...

So you think Sydney played to the same level against you guys as they have played the last two weeks? No way.

And the Essendon game was the start of a pretty bad form slump for them. They took care of you guys pretty easily second time around (admittedly, during a down period for Richmond), but I think both at their best, Essendon would have your measure.

That may change in a year or two tho if Richmond can actually capitalize on the momentum of a few wins, rather than going missing for large periods of the year.

You see this very often from Richmond.

They have a habit of finishing the season strong

Fallacy, have a look at our August results the past two years.

We've fielded the second-youngest team in the competition this year. Vickery and Rance have come on tremendously, Nahas is a better player, Houli an excellent pick-up and Riewoldt is more rounded.

Balancing that, our genuine stars/future stars in Deledio, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Martin and Vickery haven't missed a game all year.

Optimistic without making any outlandish predictions. Recruit a better ruck and full back, and 2012 will tell a tale.

So you think Sydney played to the same level against you guys as they have played the last two weeks? No way.

And the Essendon game was the start of a pretty bad form slump for them. They took care of you guys pretty easily second time around (admittedly, during a down period for Richmond), but I think both at their best, Essendon would have your measure.

That may change in a year or two tho if Richmond can actually capitalize on the momentum of a few wins, rather than going missing for large periods of the year.

No Sydney didn't because we got on top of them and smashed them at contested ball as well as the spread. Or I guess we were just lucky.

In the second Essendon game we actually lead them by 4 or 5 goals in the 3rd term and let it slip. Hardly accounting for us easily.

Good story though by you...

You see this very often from Richmond.

They have a habit of finishing the season strong, resulting with the predictions over the summer that Richmond look set to finally break out this year, and then when the season starts, they disappoint much like this year.

This.

Nothing new about the Tiger's current season to previous ones. The mediocrity looks set to continue, especially if the fans, public and media believe the off-season hype.

Remove this Banner Ad

New Tiger Dawn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back