NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been a cowboy fan since i was five because there is a photo of me in cowboy jumper.

If i was to select a team like freo it would be Detroit.

I think someone should do afl/nfl comparisons.

Cowboy fan since you were 5?? :eek: Is it more the fact that you found out that you were 'dressed to look like a Cowboy fan' but in reality were quite oblivious to the NFL and didn't really follow the Cowboys or NFL for that matter until you finally grew up abit more and discovered the game a whole lot more and the Cowboys were a decent team and you're claiming 'them now when they're having a shoddy season' so you don't look like a bandwagoner? ;)

Don't buy the 'since I was born' stories and the evidence you provided was more exactly how I'm telling it. Apart from that, welcome to our forum and I'm sure you can expand on your early Cowboy memories when NFL was shown on a weeks delay and Uncle Don's weekly highlight show made you crawl out of bed and watch NFL way past your bedtime. :)

I'm looking for an Essendon-type team, not so much in regards to the big history, but more to do with a young, up-and-coming team with some promising players. Would also like them to be quite exciting to watch, a decent offence. Thoughts?

I'm looking for an Essendon-type team, not so much in regards to the big history, but more to do with a young, up-and-coming team with some promising players. Would also like them to be quite exciting to watch, a decent offence. Thoughts?
Buccaneers in a heart beat
well, actually, they're young but good

you want an Essendon type team, hmmmm, Lions, young, shit, and has 1 old head on D (Fletcher vs Vanden Bosh)

go with Detroit

I've been watching a fair bit of NFL lately on ONE and decided I'd like to follow a specific team.

I'm leaning towards the Ravens. They seem to have a strong culture and even though they are a young franchise and I like that they pride themselves on having a rock solid defense.

The other positive in being a young franchise is they have little history to catch up on and I can sort of "grow" with them.

But the thing that's holding me back is, what I enjoy most about watching NFL are the long passing plays and that doesn't seem to be a feature in their game from what I can tell.

Do you think that really maters? They're still an exciting team to watch arn't they?

Is there another team someone could recommend who are similar but have a more offensive style of play?

Steelers
pride themselves on a strong D
and in recent years they've moved from their traditional smashmouth running game to more passing.

plus, they have 6 superbowl title I beleive

Thanks. I've just been reading about them now and it appears they been a pretty dominant side through out NFL history with a very strong and loyal fanbase.

As a tiger supporter the colours are pretty good too!

Also reading in the Ravens thread it seems many of the guys in there think that the Ravens only get pro active offensivly when they backs are against it and even then they're quite inconsistant.

I've got to say the geographic location of Pittsburgh isn't that attactive. Although being a Tiges supporter it would be good to follow a team that's fairly strong in the competition.

Hmmmmm....I'm getting there.

I've been watching a fair bit of NFL lately on ONE and decided I'd like to follow a specific team.

I'm leaning towards the Ravens. They seem to have a strong culture and even though they are a young franchise and I like that they pride themselves on having a rock solid defense.

The other positive in being a young franchise is they have little history to catch up on and I can sort of "grow" with them.

But the thing that's holding me back is, what I enjoy most about watching NFL are the long passing plays and that doesn't seem to be a feature in their game from what I can tell.

Do you think that really maters? They're still an exciting team to watch arn't they?

Is there another team someone could recommend who are similar but have a more offensive style of play?

I became a raven a month ago after watching the NFL for a coupe of years.

The ravens offence game is changing due to Joe Flaccom our young Quaterback who we drafted a couple of years ago. He has a huge arm and can make big plays.

Have a look at a couple of the highlights from the weekend and you will see that the passing game is becoming stronger, especially since we signed WR Anquan Boldin.

And ofcourse like you i guess, the thing that drew me to the ravens was the strong culture and the hard hitting defense.

Alright. I'm sold. Decision made.

I'm a Raven. I was already leaning that way anyway and doing more research along with watching highlight reels of Boldin and Flacco...done deal

I think that because they're a relatively new team I can grow with them. The culture is there. Plus Boldin is a beast.

Steelers won't miss me as they have plenty of fans. It was a close call though.

Alright. I'm sold. Decision made.

I'm a Raven. I was already leaning that way anyway and doing more research along with watching highlight reels of Boldin and Flacco...done deal

I think that because they're a relatively new team I can grow with them. The culture is there. Plus Boldin is a beast.

Steelers won't miss me as they have plenty of fans. It was a close call though.

Sheesh, considering it took me over 5 years to settle on a team.. you've made a quality call straight away. Good on you. Welcome aboard the BF NFL boards Toadvine.

Can't go WRONG with the AFC North. :) I seriously believe the Cleveland Browns are also a team moving in the right direction finally. They've been stinking it up for so long (apart from their 10-6 campaign of 2007) but I suspect with a competent GM (Holmgren) at the helm, they'll be challenging the Steelers & Ravens sooner than later...maybe 2012? Cinci have won the AFC North twice in the last 5 seasons so it's not like you're picking an shoddy team. Bengal (Tigers) is another reason why you've embraced the right division. :thumbsu:

As for your geographic location of Pittsburgh impression not impressing you.. let me inform you it's only two hours drive south of Canton (HOF) and 2.5 hours drive south of Cleveland where I've actually visited this year. A short flight (40minutes) to NYC and (50min) to Chicago isn't that far away. Been those places also this year so it's not like it's the middle of NOWHERE.

Sheesh, considering it took me over 5 years to settle on a team.. you've made a quality call straight away. Good on you. Welcome aboard the BF NFL boards Toadvine.

Can't go WRONG with the AFC North. :) I seriously believe the Cleveland Browns are also a team moving in the right direction finally. They've been stinking it up for so long (apart from their 10-6 campaign of 2007) but I suspect with a competent GM (Holmgren) at the helm, they'll be challenging the Steelers & Ravens sooner than later...maybe 2012? Cinci have won the AFC North twice in the last 5 seasons so it's not like you're picking an shoddy team. Bengal (Tigers) is another reason why you've embraced the right division. :thumbsu:

Cheers mate.

Baltimore belonging to AFC North was one of the reasons I chose them being such a competitive devision certainly makes it more rewarding to follow.

Why did it take you 5 years to settle on a team?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers mate.

Baltimore belonging to AFC North was one of the reasons I chose them being such a competitive devision certainly makes it more rewarding to follow.

Why did it take you 5 years to settle on a team?
it might be directed at Woodson, but I might be able to answer a bit, because it took me 3 and a half years to pick Atlanta.

Basically, when you first come into the NFL, you don't have a true veiw on every team, and a true knowledge of what you want in a team.

Some people might want smashmouth hard running, some people may want deep passing, some people might want explosivness, and some people might want defense

and this might change as you get to learn the game more, you might be a madden lover and love the big plays, but then as you watch more and more football, you might find that hard defensive football is what's best for you.

So yeah, the reason it may take a while to pick a team, is that you don't truely know what you actually want.

I love the extreme's in football, either a defensive slog, or a shootout, it's the average games I don't like, Atlanta play a very short yardage offense, so it creates the illusion that it's a defensive slog, but we also have the talent to blow it open and make it a shootout (or annihalation) when needed.

Hey guys I've been following the NFL for a while now, but I'm still struggling to settle on one team. I've narrowed it down to four teams for different reasons.

Giants: I half heartedly supported the Giants when I first started watching the NFL, not sure if I really felt a great connection to them though. I like their colours and uniform and don't mind Eli. It would be nice to support a team with a rich history like the giants. There is also a good chance I'll visit NY in the future, so I might be able to catch a game.

Broncos: I'm a crows fan and there appears to be a few similarities between these two teams. Both were GF/SB champions in 97/98 for example. I'm also a big skier/snowboarder so I might have a chance to see a game if I'm skiing in Colorado. But they have looked awful this season and don't look like improving any time soon.

Buffalo: Mum supports the Bills and there is something I've always liked about them. I like to support an underdog. Also I'm not entirely sure about this but they look like they're on the rise, it would be good to support a team on the way up. Never see them on TV though.

Patriots: Love watching them play. I'm a big fan of Brady and Belichick. I would love to see a game at Gillette Stadium, it looks awesome. They are always shown on ONE so they would be easy to follow. But I don't really want to look like I'm just a bandwagoner.

So could someone help me with this tie breaker? I've also considered the Bears and Seahawks but I'm probably not so keen on those two.

Hey guys I've been following the NFL for a while now, but I'm still struggling to settle on one team. I've narrowed it down to four teams for different reasons.

Giants: I half heartedly supported the Giants when I first started watching the NFL, not sure if I really felt a great connection to them though. I like their colours and uniform and don't mind Eli. It would be nice to support a team with a rich history like the giants. There is also a good chance I'll visit NY in the future, so I might be able to catch a game.

Broncos: I'm a crows fan and there appears to be a few similarities between these two teams. Both were GF/SB champions in 97/98 for example. I'm also a big skier/snowboarder so I might have a chance to see a game if I'm skiing in Colorado. But they have looked awful this season and don't look like improving any time soon.

Buffalo: Mum supports the Bills and there is something I've always liked about them. I like to support an underdog. Also I'm not entirely sure about this but they look like they're on the rise, it would be good to support a team on the way up. Never see them on TV though.

Patriots: Love watching them play. I'm a big fan of Brady and Belichick. I would love to see a game at Gillette Stadium, it looks awesome. They are always shown on ONE so they would be easy to follow. But I don't really want to look like I'm just a bandwagoner.

So could someone help me with this tie breaker? I've also considered the Bears and Seahawks but I'm probably not so keen on those two.

I enjoyed watching the champs in the '80's WIN regularly, the Niners, were the Pats of today. Just phenomenal to watch but I wasn't prepared to embrace them for some reason... whether it was their colors... don't know. Just stayed passive for several more years. Jumping on a bandwagon is a no-brainer. Plenty people do it like it's going out of fashion. Most of these bandwagon type folk drop off like flies when the tough times kick in. Burning question is whether you can feel the HURT when any of those teams lose? If you do, then, that's your team. Takes some time though.

Bragging rights to previous championships when you weren't actively following them = being very pretentious. (don't worry, there are plenty Steeler fans who unshamingly boast about championships they were oblivious to back in the day.... they are the F***wit denial types) who I love to ridicule. It's one thing to be humble and knowledgable but another to be nothing but a loudmouth twat :rolleyes:).

Good Luck with your choice.

Always sweet having a win. Today's game was full of passionate fans at Oakland. Bronco Tebow no doubt drew a few extra's.

Like my AFL team, its panning out 50/50 this season with some high-end stat's :thumbsu:
Since jumpin on the Raiders last year have only seen them broadcast one full game on live TV. The Jag's game last week, we lost from a winning position, still it was exciting to see the team I have only caught online, or brief highlights on Fox.

Quite like the NFL's coverage on game-day too, explaining play's, highlight's, outlining with the chart etc...

Patriots: Love watching them play.

So do I!....for the most part;) I can tell your no patriots fan though because the fowl stench of Giant is in your lineup! Screw the bandwagon label. They would have called you a bandwagoner in 2001 they will still call you one in 2011 and they will be until the day TB and BB walk off into the sunset and hof.Dont let that stop you. You will get the wraith of all the other fans but really for the most part they just want what we got.:)

The bills are a good option, but forget the other two!:D Seriously though each team will bring you enjoyment and utter frustration in the end no matter who you go with just some more than others...They all play a bit different and have different history's.. I moved to and lived in boston and followed the obvious local team and learned the game as I watched that team. Didn't have much choice either esp with my friends over there who are born and bred patriots fans and a father who has been following them for 35 years..yeah way back when they sucked ass all the time that no one remembers these days. My brother jumped on the SF 49ers during their success and today he still follows them just as much even though they are not SB bound.The Patriots first week I followed them lost after a 31-0 spanking from the BILLS. They went on to win the SB and in week 17 beat the bills 31-0. It was fairytale stuff. One of the reasons I love Rodney Harrison so much! We became patriots at the same time:thumbsu:.. It was an awesome NFL intro and I/we have been lucky ennough to follow a team that has been so successful for so long....I dont mind the bills as a team which is sad because I have to enjoy watching them go down twice a year.So you can do the loyal thing and follow your mums mob or you can do the fun thing and follow the patriots.good luck

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back