NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Baltimore's been on TV four out of seven games (two live, two delayed) this season, we've had a pretty awesome run. should be on at least two more times this season too - one is a given since it's an SNF game.

Baltimore's been on TV four out of seven games (two live, two delayed) this season, we've had a pretty awesome run. should be on at least two more times this season too - one is a given since it's an SNF game.

I think out of all the teams so far i am leaning towards baltimore, but i'm still not convinced (its not an easy decision to just pick a team)

what reasons would you say why someone should go for the ravens?

young, exciting offence of Rice, Flacco and Boldin that has the potential to be amazing if the pieces fall together. still a dominant defence. purple uniforms. great football tradition in Baltimore (the Colts were in Baltimore originally) ... and Ray Lewis of course.

but anyone can say those sort of things about any team. it's ultimately up to you and one team will eventually stand out most to you, that'll be the team you go with.

I just think i'd like baltimore...but as people have mentioned it's hard to follow if your team doesn't get air time in aus.

i think ill do a bit more research (unless someone can convince me) and make a choice between the ravens, green bay, jets and eagles
Honestly, avoid all 4

Ravens - young, improving, good, you'll be a bandwagoner
Packers - young, very good, definently a bandwagoner
Jets - they've just gone out and bought so much talent, probably the best team talent wise in the league, you'll be a bandwagoner
Eagles - no one wants anymore in Australia, too many Sav Rocca followers :thumbsdown:

Honestly, avoid all 4

Ravens - young, improving, good, you'll be a bandwagoner
Packers - young, very good, definently a bandwagoner
Jets - they've just gone out and bought so much talent, probably the best team talent wise in the league, you'll be a bandwagoner
Eagles - no one wants anymore in Australia, too many Sav Rocca followers :thumbsdown:

I think i've crossed off the eagles and jets (definitely a bandwagoenr there).

Still considering Green bay and baltimore (they were the first 2 teams that jumped out at me when i started watching last year) I just love the way the ravens play, really exciting style IMO. Would i really be considered a bandwagoner if i picked them as my own (i'm someone that tries to put a lot of effort into picking a team....not just because they are winning there has to be more to it).

Is there anyone else i should be looking, like at the dolphins, titans, raiders, vikings?

young, exciting offence of Rice, Flacco and Boldin that has the potential to be amazing if the pieces fall together. still a dominant defence. purple uniforms. great football tradition in Baltimore (the Colts were in Baltimore originally) ... and Ray Lewis of course.

but anyone can say those sort of things about any team. it's ultimately up to you and one team will eventually stand out most to you, that'll be the team you go with.

I think that's why i want to go for the Ravens. Their style is what caught my eye (and of course those purple uniforms. I'll be honset i'm not able to name that many players in the NFL besides QBs and RBs but one of the first players i knew was Ray Lewis, another reason for baltimore.

Do you think i'd be considered a bandwagoner if i jumped on the mnow?

I think i've crossed off the eagles and jets (definitely a bandwagoenr there).

Still considering Green bay and baltimore (they were the first 2 teams that jumped out at me when i started watching last year) I just love the way the ravens play, really exciting style IMO. Would i really be considered a bandwagoner if i picked them as my own (i'm someone that tries to put a lot of effort into picking a team....not just because they are winning there has to be more to it).

Is there anyone else i should be looking, like at the dolphins, titans, raiders, vikings?
Ravens could argueably be a bandwagon, but at the very least pre-emptive bandwagon

go for a team that plays ruthless D (like the Ravens) and like to pass deep, with some smashmouth football

to me, sounds like the Raiders

they're basically the same in gamestyle, it's just 1 is actually good

and the Raiders won't be changing anytime soon (in gamestyle) unless Al Davis passes and the owner lets the coaches do what they want,

also, you seem to want to be able to watch your team on TV, porblem is, is that the good teams are the ones on, when MLB finishes, foxtel will start showing both 1pm and 4:05 games on tv. 4:05 will effectively be NFC West, they all suck, so maybe if you dont want to be a bandwagoner, and get your TV fill, go Cardinals, Seahawks, Rams or 49ers

not really, I became a Ravens fan the season we went to the AFC Championship Game in 2008. :p and if they do who cares, it's your decision. as long as you stick it with it and don't jump off the second we have a down year or something (we did go 5-11 just three years ago for instance).

tbh with parity and so forth the NFL is so up and down. one team is good next year, crap the next. Pittsburgh wins the Super Bowl one year and then missed the playoffs the next. I don't really even agree with the bandwagoning label since it's not like the Premier League or something like that.

what about Kansas City? im a packers fan from long back but i enjoy watching the ravens, but my new young team that i would like to watch when theres no packers fans it would be either ravens of the Cheifs. and i love what Dexter Mcluster is doing with the Cheifs as a WR and PR, and can play RB if needed to play there again, but its looking good for them good D nice RB and nice WRs. just need a decent QB

Ravens could argueably be a bandwagon, but at the very least pre-emptive bandwagon

go for a team that plays ruthless D (like the Ravens) and like to pass deep, with some smashmouth football

to me, sounds like the Raiders

they're basically the same in gamestyle, it's just 1 is actually good

and the Raiders won't be changing anytime soon (in gamestyle) unless Al Davis passes and the owner lets the coaches do what they want,

also, you seem to want to be able to watch your team on TV, porblem is, is that the good teams are the ones on, when MLB finishes, foxtel will start showing both 1pm and 4:05 games on tv. 4:05 will effectively be NFC West, they all suck, so maybe if you dont want to be a bandwagoner, and get your TV fill, go Cardinals, Seahawks, Rams or 49ers

Thanks for the info there. I think SF should be a team i consider now and same with the raiders.

I think i have cut out everyone from my original list bar baltimore and now i'll do a bit of research on oakland and the 49ers and see if i like them. But ultimately i think its down to the team that catches your eye and for me it was the ravens and eagles, but i think the ravens a little bit more

But once again thanks for all the help mate

Stay away from the Jets, arrogant pieces of shit.
I would like the Ravens, but they have a tendonacy to never accept blame in a loss, it's all ways luck or the refs fault in a close game, and it just annoys me.
KC would be a decent team. Built by two extremely succesful co-ordinators in Crennel and Weiss, the team they want to devlop is the kind of team that wins championships. Brutal defence and a phyiscal running offence gets the job done better than any high-powered shoot-out offence. Not at all bandwagon yet, as last year they were just a miserable team and many execpt them to finish this year miserably, but they have potential for next year. I would be suprised if they don't win their div from here horwever.

The real team to get on it Detriot. Amazingly tallented in a few positions, Stafford will be a gun if he can be protected, Megatron is just a freak, Best is lightning quick and Suh is an animal. I'm a fan of Swartz and if they get just get a line (GOD JUST DRAFT A BLOODY LEFT TACKLE!!) they will going places soon enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think out of all the teams so far i am leaning towards baltimore, but i'm still not convinced (its not an easy decision to just pick a team)

what reasons would you say why someone should go for the ravens?
Ravens are great to watch, see if you can get a look at the recent Ray Lewis coaching tree, probably on you tube or their own site. Passionate, funny guy.

There are reasons why someone would follow or not a team because of who owns them. Not the reason for me but i admire the Al Davis faithfull :)

trueblue_91, the Ravens would be a great choice to follow (but im clearly biased :D)

I became a Ravens fan in '08 (when I started following the NFL seriously) for a few reasons:

- Well run team that is always contending for a playoff spot (Ozzy is probably the best GM in the NFL)
- History of a great defense
- Great individual players like Ed Reed (the reason I picked Baltimore) and Ray Lewis (the GOAT MLB)
- Were in the AFC (which has proven to be the more competitive conference, just look at the Super Bowl champs this past decade)
- Played in a competitive division
- I liked their style of play
- Had just drafted a new QB and hired a new HC
- Were a new-ish team (having only been around since '96)
- Purple unis (and their all-black uni is mean)
- They won the Superbowl in 2001, soon after my Bombers won the premiership here

Reasons for you to follow them:

- Reasons 1-5 above
- A developing offense with Flacco, Rice, Boldin, Mason and Heap
- Haloti Ngata, arguably the best DT in the game
- You'll get to see them play fairly regularly (we've been on OneHD 4 times this year so far, with at least 2 more games to come @ATL & vPIT, and 5 times last year)

Whatever you choose to do, I would suggest going to a few blogs/forums of the teams you're interested in and see what sort of people follow those teams in the US.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview08/columns/story?id=3530077

interesting read for people trying to get into the game.

I think i have narrowed it down to either the ravens or the raiders.

My only concern is, when picking a sports team...location should be considered. Like i can see myself one day living in new york, miami, phili (quite a few places actually) but baltimore....not so much. I can see myself however in the oakland region. How big a factor should this be when picking a team?

Baltimore is something like 200miles from NYC. :p

I wouldn't live there either. but it is pretty close to NYC, Washington, and Philly all the same.

Baltimore is something like 200miles from NYC. :p

I wouldn't live there either. but it is pretty close to NYC, Washington, and Philly all the same.

true, but in regards lets say....going to weekly games, 200m is still a long way. But i guess its close enough to go to a few if i become dedicated enough.

I think i will stick with the ravens, just love the way they go about things down at baltimore. Watching Ray Lewis and the D of the ravens just jumped out at me. Will stick with my gut

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back