NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a thread about Similar teams.. each to their own.. I've never been to Birmingham where Aston Villa is, never been to Sheffield, never been to Pittsburgh.. each team has different colours.. so what.. that's my combo of clubs.. I could add Fiorentina (serie A) but there isn't enough space.. been to Florence (Tuscany) tho' .

Ironically all of my teams are from/ re-known for their blue collar/ working class status.

Good thread... my teams have no connections whatever. Probably would prefer that they did, but once you've picked them, that's it. LFC picked me cos I can walk to my Mum's old house from Anfield. When I finally got t ovisit Liverpool I was rapt to find I love the place. To me it's important but, as you say, each to their own

Yeah a bit like this site, lucky all the articles are not written by the same person :rolleyes:

If you liked that one you will love this
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/342982-in-defense-of-jamarcus-russell

Being new to this and reading all the Raider stuff, it's nice to see another perspective. I'm warming to the idea of AL Davis staying on and seeing his Raider's to a SB before he is 100 :)

For all the angst I have with Al, I also have a lot of love. It's a love-hate thing. But....no one could say it wouldnt be cool/funny to see Al Davis up on the podium accepting the Lombardi and having an angry rant at whatever like an old cantakerous bastard does in day to day life.

For all the angst I have with Al, I also have a lot of love. It's a love-hate thing. But....no one could say it wouldnt be cool/funny to see Al Davis up on the podium accepting the Lombardi and having an angry rant at whatever like an old cantakerous bastard does in day to day life.

That would be a priceless moment.

Who can forget the Raiders reign when John Madden was the coach. The players, Howie Long, Marcus Allen, Jim Plunkett, Kenny Stabler to name a few. It's sad to see what has happened to that team in the past few years.

The Raider Nation fan base have some of the most unusual get ups in the NFL fan base.

When picking your team it's worth considering whether or not you're interested in the city they're from, as well as whether you identify with the type of team that they are.

For me, dome teams are out. There's nothing like Soldier Field or Mile High (old one, haven't been to the new) in winter.

I picked the Broncs while I was fairly young and although I like visiting Denver, it is in the middle of nowhere and isn't that inspiring unless you're right into skiiing.

New Orleans I love but the Saints have been a joke up until 2 days ago. If you're intellectual and progressive, maybe the Pats, but while Boston's great, Foxboro's in the middle of nowhere too, and a disaster to drive out of after games (not sure if the new stadium's fixed that situation or not).

The Meadowlands location sucks but NYC is great.

Could do worse than the Eagles - top city, mad fans, outdoor stadium (real football).

Interested in others thoughts on this approach...

I love Denver (the city, and the Nuggets). I find its very interesting. Sure it gets really cold, but if you take up skiing or snowboarding then that's a plus. The summers are beautiful, the city has a nice culture and is a good size, and it's not overly dangerous. In my top 5 or so US cities If I had to choose one to live in. Maybe a bit of bias as I worked about an hour and a bit out of Denver for the 08/09 ski season.

And I didn't go to a game at the new Mile High stadium, but I drove past it a bunch of times. Is a very, VERY nice looking ground

I love Denver (the city, and the Nuggets). I find its very interesting. Sure it gets really cold, but if you take up skiing or snowboarding then that's a plus. The summers are beautiful, the city has a nice culture and is a good size, and it's not overly dangerous. In my top 5 or so US cities If I had to choose one to live in. Maybe a bit of bias as I worked about an hour and a bit out of Denver for the 08/09 ski season.

And I didn't go to a game at the new Mile High stadium, but I drove past it a bunch of times. Is a very, VERY nice looking ground

I'd say you know the place a lot better than me - I've only had 2 weekend visits there. Have only been to games at the old Mile High (which was great). Some of the snow towns were fantastic.

Yeah I lived in Winter Park, which is a nice little snow town next to one of Colorado's best resorts, kind of a local secret, not nationally known but everyone in Colorado know's whats up.

I just feel like Denver isn't the best tourist destination, but would be right up there in cities to live in or near.

And I never made it to a Broncos game, and don't really like the team, but I have alot of respect for the team and the fans and the support they get in Colorado.

Coming into the new season, I'd like to pick a team and try to follow them the best I can. I have foxtel which will help me in that cause. I've seen the first post and didn't understand and also didnt know the logos of the teams. I've read up on the game and understand most of the rules etc etc.

So to the team, I want one which is reasonably good with a chance of getting up in the next 5-10 years. I don't want to be a bandwagonner or anything and also a team which is in one of the bigger cities in America, with the possibility of me seeing them if I'm over there.

So, any thoughts people?

Yero.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say the Bears or Dolphins. We don't have many fans of them, there's loads of Jets fans though. :p

Thanks for the speedy responses guys. I've been thinking, the big city isnt as important to me. So if that somehow changes your suggestions. My friend who supposedly follows the NFL said San Diego, but none of you mentioned it so I was a bit confused. Like the look of the Jets but I don't want a team where there are "loads" of supporters on here.

Tennessee?

It's not a big city (Nashville), they've got some young exciting players, and they're generally there or there abouts in terms of the play-offs. I don't think there are any Titans fans on here either.

Too many Charger fans already on here.

If you forget big city, here's a good bunch of possible teams you could choose from, read up on their history on wikipedia to see which team "speaks" to you more.

NY Jets, Tennessee Titans, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Carolina Panthers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Washington Redskins, Kansas City Chiefs, Jacksonville Jaguars, Houston Texans, Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Dolphins, Buffalo Bills.

Well I've decided I'll go Titans. Don't know why they just had appeal :) plus theyve got a reasonably high draft pick in the draft.

Thanks guys for all your assistance. Will post more as I get to know the game better.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL New to NFL - Looking for a Team to Follow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back