New Year Quiz

Remove this Banner Ad

New week, new question.

This year, for the first time in 9 years, North start their NAB Cup campaign in Victoria. The venue, Etihad Stadium has been kind to us - we've won 5 NAB/Wizard/Ansett games at Colonial/Telstra/Etihad and lost none (01 vs Coll, 02 vs Coll, 03 vs Melb, 05 vs PA, 07 vs Freo). Name the other three venues North have played at in the various incarnations of this competition but never lost.

New week, new question.

This year, for the first time in 9 years, North start their NAB Cup campaign in Victoria. The venue, Etihad Stadium has been kind to us - we've won 5 NAB/Wizard/Ansett games at Colonial/Telstra/Etihad and lost none (01 vs Coll, 02 vs Coll, 03 vs Melb, 05 vs PA, 07 vs Freo). Name the other three venues North have played at in the various incarnations of this competition but never lost.

We played at Bruce Stadium, ACT and the Gabba in '96 and won both. So I would say we never lost at either venue.

Not sure about the third. Maybe Phillips Oval in Canberra in the late 70s?

We played at Bruce Stadium, ACT and the Gabba in '96 and won both. So I would say we never lost at either venue.

Not sure about the third. Maybe Phillips Oval in Canberra in the late 70s?

We beat Sydney at Bruce Stadium in 1991 and 1996, Brisbane at the Gabba in 1996 (Longmire did his knee) and the ACT at Phillips Oval in 1979. Our score of 24.18-162 and our 110 point win that day remains our biggest ever score and win in this competition. Our biggest ever score against a League side was in the 1996 game at Bruce Stadium in Canberra against Sydney - 22.18-150. The biggest margin against a League side was 79 points against Richmond in 1997.

We've never won a NAB Cup game at AAMI Stadium (losses v Adel in 1993 :(:mad:, Port in 2001 and Adel in 2003), Aurora Stadium (v Haw 2002), Cazaly Stadium (v Geel 2006) and TIO Stadium (v WB 2008).

New week, new question.

I thought it was still the Telstra Dome?:confused:

Because the AFL have yet to approve the new sponsor.

I'll have a go:

Simpson, Smith, Thomas, Thompson, Jones, O'Keefe, Edwards, Harvey and Campbell.

1. Adam Simpson = Bob Simpson
  2. Jesse Smith = Steve Smith
  3. Josh Smith = Dave Smith
  4. Lindsay Thomas = Grahame Thomas
  5. Corey Jones = Dean Jones, Ernie Jones & Sammy Jones
  6. Aaron Edwards = Ross Edwards, Jack Edwards and Wally Edwards
  7. Brent Harvey = Neil Harvey, Merv Harvey
  8. Matt Campbell = Greg Campbell
Not paying O'Keefe however as Kerry O'Keeffe spells his name with two fs. Likewise Scott Thompson as Nat Thomson (no p) played in Australia's first 2 Tests ever. Same for Jeff and Alan Thomson.

So that leaves one other Roo/Aussie Test cricketer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the sort of question you either know or you don't. Pretty hard to research this one unless you keep your own records. As a result, there might be a bit of guess work here. But here goes anyway...

Which North Melbourne player has the distinction of scoring North's 20,000th goal and 20,000th behind? Hint: We're currently on 21,711 goals and 21,684 behinds.

Hey guys, I'm loving the quiz and learning a lot.

Happy Roo Year 2009.

Hugs and kisses xxx :)

Drew Petrie v Brisbane in the drawn game at the Dome?

I'll tell you the matches - the 20,000th behind happened just after 1/4 time in Round 21, 2002 vs Hawthorn at the MCG. The 20,000th goal happened early in the last quarter in Round 10, 2003 againt the Western Bulldogs at Telstra Dome. Also, the player in question has kicked over 100 other goals, nearly 100 other behinds and played over 100 other games.

Remove this Banner Ad

New Year Quiz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back