Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Remove this Banner Ad

I know they are the reason we won the 7 games but every big game the defence has come out too slowly. Especially the run defence. Certainly not the main issue but there's more than bad QB play at fault here.

We haven't had a great run of injuries but to me big focus is building up that OL and obviously QB. We'll be shopping around but would like Mike White to be involved as back up/potentially fighting for starting position. He wasn't great today but he's still fighting that rib issue. What we do there with White is going to depend on who we get and what happens with Wilson. Surely we're done with Zach but not sure what we can get for him.

I think my brain has assumed the Jags loss was the nail in the coffin because not as annoyed today. Still happy we played meaningful games in December. But it won't mean anything if we don't improve in '23. I don't think firing any key personnel helps. Let's focus on improving this team (offense)

Seven straight losses to close the season. No touchdowns in the last three games scored by the offence. I think the Jets will be looking for a new offensive coordinator in the off-season. Terrible collapse down the stretch.

When you have Zach Wilson and a Mike White with 5 broken ribs at QB and horrific OL play, I'm not sure firing Mike Lafleur achieves anything. Fix our OL and QB is no. 1 priority this off season

LaFleur doesn't adjust his system to fit the players at his disposal. He has some strengths in his play design, but his playbook is very complicated and difficult to learn, based on information I have seen from someone with connections to the Jets. Worse, he is also inflexible.

There are also some concerns about the coaches brought in to coach Wilson. The Jets hired Greg Knapp to coach Wilson after he was drafted but he was killed in a tragic accident days before the start of the 2021 season and the Jets haven't really tried to directly replace him. Rather, the Jets tried to promote from within and have given the job to someone without the experience in the role, even though he came recommended (Calabrese).

Woody will hate how the season ended, and the fact Daboll got the Giants into the playoffs with an arguably worse roster (although Danny Dimes is clearly a better QB than Wilson). I don't think he will fire Saleh but the heat is now on Douglas and on Saleh to make the playoffs next season. Difficult to achieve with the Bills in the division but I think the off season is going to be very interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good, tell ya story walking LaFraud

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport confirms the Jets have fired OC Mike LaFleur.​

This was first reported by KPRC2's Aaron Wilson earlier in the day, but the team didn't confirm it until later in the evening. LaFleur's dismissal was inevitable after the Jets finished the 2022 season with one of the worst offenses in the league. In addition to having the third lowest EPA per play, the Jets also finished 29th in the league in points per game (17.4) and 25th in yards per game. Whoever takes over as the next offensive coordinator will have their hands full figuring out the team's quarterback position, but enough offensive weapons are in place to make for a potentially less painful turnaround.

He couldn’t just solve qb problem.

Who do they get now does salah have contacts to get someone good ?

You can bet your bottom dollar it will be someone experienced, have heard Kingsbury, have heard Gary Kubiak.

Not sad to see LaFleur go (though it's officially been deemed a "mutual parting of the ways to allow LaFleur to explore other opportunities"), but Saleh and Douglas will be on the hot seat to make the playoffs next season, so it's possible that the OC will come in to a role where he has to get immediate results, or face the axe at the end of the season when the Jets miss the playoffs.

I think it's likely the Jets go down the route of hiring a veteran offensive coordinator who doesn't care about the potential short-term nature of the role but could also step in as interim head coach should Woody clean house during the season when the Jets are mathematically ruled out of the playoffs. I'd keep an eye on the likes of Frank Reich and Gary Kubiak, and the media has also linked the likes of Darrell Bevell to the role (ugh) as well as Kliff Kingsbury (not sure how Wilson would go in an Air Raid offence).

Not sad to see LaFleur go (though it's officially been deemed a "mutual parting of the ways to allow LaFleur to explore other opportunities"), but Saleh and Douglas will be on the hot seat to make the playoffs next season, so it's possible that the OC will come in to a role where he has to get immediate results, or face the axe at the end of the season when the Jets miss the playoffs.

I think it's likely the Jets go down the route of hiring a veteran offensive coordinator who doesn't care about the potential short-term nature of the role but could also step in as interim head coach should Woody clean house during the season when the Jets are mathematically ruled out of the playoffs. I'd keep an eye on the likes of Frank Reich and Gary Kubiak, and the media has also linked the likes of Darrell Bevell to the role (ugh) as well as Kliff Kingsbury (not sure how Wilson would go in an Air Raid offence).

I doubt Salah will ride with Zach as the starting QB next season with his job on the line. He may still be on the roster but reckon there is no chance he's starting week 1.

Whats the cliff notes?

• LaFleur never liked Wilson from draft day
  • LaFleur would comment to people about how much smoother his offense would run with Flacco, White and Josh Johnson
  • Wilson couldn't handle the amount of plays in LaFleur's offense so he had to cut some of the playbook back and "dumb it down"
  • Elijah Moore's issues were with LaFleur not Wilson, telling LaFluer "you suck" and to "go **** yourself"

Living off brothers name

Yea, seems to me like LaFleur thought he was better than what he was. Instead of trying to help a rookie he shattered Zach's confidence telling people his scheme ran better with other QBs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams New York Jets - Gang Green

Remove this Banner Ad

Back