Next Captain after Shuey

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah if Gov keeps at his best then im fine for him as a stop gap till Allen is ready.

Shuey just has to drop the captaincy and focus on one more year and see if he he can go out on a high.
Gov's best amounts to three games this year.
Outside of one or two games last year he was barely average.
You'd want to see that he is consistently at his best before handing him the captaincy.

Oscar Allen & Liam Duggan are my 2 most preferred options atm.

Get Yeo fit and move into half back and make him and Gov co captains. Think Yeo’s intent/hunger is something that you need with a list thats gonna be pretty inexperienced

Liam Duggan , played well last night too under immense pressure.

West Coast have never had an Indigenous Captain and it could be about time. It would attract more elite Indigenous players to the club
and might give the club a good old shakeup.

West Coast have never had an Indigenous Captain and it could be about time. It would attract more elite Indigenous players to the club
From what I’ve seen SPS has been a real positive with his leadership on field, in the huddles and with the WAFL side. Always trying to lift everyone around him and gives directions on the ground. Obviously not a captain candidate but if he can cement a spot in the seniors he could be in the leadership group

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No stand out candidate. Duggan is not a good enough player to demand respect as a captain, he probably would struggle to get a game with 50% of the teams in the AFL.
Barrass, Allen or Gov if they want someone to take the heat for a couple of years.

Who though? SPS and Jones are only just establishing themselves, Winder's played 2 games, Rioli's indiscretion rules him out and Ryan's probably does as well (though drink driving didn't stop Hodge being a quality captain). Kelly would be the only potential choice and I think the residual angst over the cost of his trade would make the pressure of captaincy to big an ask.

Who though? SPS and Jones are only just establishing themselves, Winder's played 2 games, Rioli's indiscretion rules him out and Ryan's probably does as well (though drink driving didn't stop Hodge being a quality captain). Kelly would be the only potential choice and I think the residual angst over the cost of his trade would make the pressure of captaincy to big an ask.
I was thinking Ryan or Rioli but i did not know their indiscretions kept them out of it. Might be a good rocket up Kelly's A#*e to give him leadership.

I was thinking Ryan or Rioli but i did not know their indiscretions kept them out of it. Might be a good rocket up Kelly's A#*e to give him leadership.
I agree that he needs a rocket but really you want a captain who has been at the club from the start and is one team player IMO

Kelly like Shuey needs to concentrate on getting back to there best football and that does not include the captaincy

I see a lot of posters above have stated Gov but I think age will count against him......Duggan for me fits the mould Age is good durable player and hopefully will be around for our next flag tilt.

Allen needs to get fit and play some football how many games has he played??? 20 /30 its pretty low

Duggan durable?

His best season since the flag he missed 25% of the season.

could-you-not-girl.gif

I'd personally like to give Gov a year and more if he can maintain his body. I feel he deserves it with his A game this year and has been one of our best throughout his career. Then Duggan if he moves into a permanent midfield role next year. Or Barrass is another great candidate. If Clark plays well this year and next, he would be a great noice choice in 2024. No one else stands out.

Whoever we make captain;he cant be a little bloke.You need muscle at the top.The bloke has to be prepared to run through brick walls for the team and then come out next week and do it again and again.Little blokes struggle with the added pressure.

Look to be honest I would hate for Barass or Allen to take over the reins this year.
It is a shit sandwich and Shuey should be the one who eats it.
Appoint Sexual or Oscar next year, we will still be bottom of the ladder but at least we have the opportunity to put a rebuild in place with reasonable expectations and hopefully not the injury/Covid list problems of 2022. Give the new Captain a fighting chance to establish his own identity and expectations of the group with a fresh start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Next Captain after Shuey

Remove this Banner Ad

Back