Next captain options?

Who should be our next captain

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was an assistant coach - he did that for their first and maybe second AFLW season, but hasn't been involved for a few years

Does Stewart's suspension from last season & the holiday he then went on with the family to get away from football, come into the captaincy discussions?

We've seen Selwood be suspended & other captains across the league, so that's not an in itself. But when a suspended player talks about then needing a break from football & goes away from a week or two during the season, not sure that's what you often see from the captain
First, he wasn't captain; and secondly, if the lunatic ravings of Richmond supporters on bigfooty is any guide, he was very well-advised to take his family out of harm's way.

First, he wasn't captain; and secondly, if the lunatic ravings of Richmond supporters on bigfooty is any guide, he was very well-advised to take his family out of harm's way.
I didn't say he was captain, I only asked if those things will come into the discussion

As for his Queensland holiday - he's spoken about it being his choice & the chance to stop the "wallowing" in his head which he felt would continue if stayed, and escape the footy bubble they live in & Victorian winter

Never any mention about crazy opposition fans - but if that was a concern in the immediate aftermath of our clash with Richmond last year, imagine what it would be like going forward as captain...

Chris Scott has spoken of the the huge impact Danger has had on the club since his arrival, so I think he will have a lot of support.
Interestingly, Eddie Betts says in his book that he was surprised when Taylor Walker was made captain at the Crows ahead of Danger (Eddie has high regard for his friendship with Danger).
I don’t think Danger will want to miss out on captaining the Cats, and he deserves it.

Chris Scott has spoken of the the huge impact Danger has had on the club since his arrival, so I think he will have a lot of support.
Interestingly, Eddie Betts says in his book that he was surprised when Taylor Walker was made captain at the Crows ahead of Danger (Eddie has high regard for his friendship with Danger).
I don’t think Danger will want to miss out on captaining the Cats, and he deserves it.

I dont disagree with that i suppose the interesting point is danger prob only has 2-3 years left (as with ling when he was appointed) and by then stewart will be 32 so if we dont appoint stewart now its probably never.
Ie if we go someone well into their 30s like danger/duncan/blitz we are looking at a 2-3 year transition to a mid 20s player, maybe henry for example (i think clark is captain material at some stage but taking it on at 21-22 is too young imo).

I dont disagree with that i suppose the interesting point is danger prob only has 2-3 years left (as with ling when he was appointed) and by then stewart will be 32 so if we dont appoint stewart now its probably never.
Ie if we go someone well into their 30s like danger/duncan/blitz we are looking at a 2-3 year transition to a mid 20s player, maybe henry for example (i think clark is captain material at some stage but taking it on at 21-22 is too young imo).
Danger gave you the answer to that concern in the interview. The chief purpose of the new captain is to help win the flag this year when the window is open. Danger has the drive and personality to succeed.
He need only be captain for one season and could then hand it over to a younger player. Danger and the club know that by 2024, he will have to be managed even more, so that is not good for a captain.

I could be way off but imo Danger doesn't give that interview unless he is already captain.

He's got an ego. He wouldn't want the egg on his face if he said publicly he wanted to be captain and it was given to someone else.

Like others have pointed out, Scotty loves him and has basically stated Danger joining the Cats is the reason the Cats did not bottom out. So the coach would be on board.

Also Danger is more than happy to do all the media stuff. Our next captain will get a lot of media heat following Selwood and the club would know Danger can more than handle that.

Not a bad idea to have a short term captain then pass the role onto someone like Atkins when Danger retires. Danger is then the buffer between Sels and Atkins, which would be the best way to set Atkins (or someone like him) up for success as a skipper.

The issue is this means Stewart doesn't ever get the gig due to his age. Maybe he's happy being the general down back without the added pressure of everything that comes with being captain. He's way more low-key than Danger. He has a young family. Might not want all the drama that comes with the job which Danger wouldn't mind.

Anyway. Just speculation. Danger going public like this means he is either captain or he is campaigning hard behind the scenes for the gig. (Before anyone says he was just answering a question, he could have just said, "There are a lot of good candidates so we will have to wait and see what the club decides." Instead he said straight out he wants the gig.)

My money is now %100 on Danger. Think he and Scotty have already agreed / shook on it and the formalities are to come.

IIRC the crows captaincy came up the year before Danger left. Both Danger and Sloane were out of contract at the end of the next year and had offers from VIC and if Danger didn't leave, Sloane would have, so they ended up with Tex as captain by default.

Initially I voted Stewart to be Captain but since then Danger has come out and said he'd like to be Captain IF the club, players, coaches wanted him to be, so with that in mind I've had a change of opinion and re-voted accordingly. Dangers Grand Final was his best team oriented game that I have seen him play and no doubt the TEAM benefited enormously by that and Danger has since spoken about the club with some degree of confidence of being a real chance for the 2023 flag if we do everything right in our preparation, so I do think the captaincy could really drive him and have a huge upside in our quest to win B2B flags.

Last edited:
Blicavs and Danger could be co captains, but again I don’t know if 2 midfield captains is the way to go.

Stewart would need to have some sort of leadership role.

My preference would be Danger. He would have been captain at any other club.

Stewart as 2nd on my list and good option for a few years.

Blitz is third option. He is just so important to be focussed on his own game and varied game day tactics, I’m reluctant to add captaincy to his workload.

Hawkins could do it but with injury may not be appropriate. Also down forward so can make it hard to wrestle back control of a game if team is down.

I love Guthrie but he seems a little on quiet side for the role. More a Joel Corey approach rather than captain.

Duncan also could do it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was an assistant coach - he did that for their first and maybe second AFLW season, but hasn't been involved for a few years

Does Stewart's suspension from last season & the holiday he then went on with the family to get away from football, come into the captaincy discussions?

We've seen Selwood be suspended & other captains across the league, so that's not an in itself. But when a suspended player talks about then needing a break from football & goes away from a week or two during the season, not sure that's what you often see from the captain.

Ah right, thought he was still doing it part time - cheers for the clarification :)

It's interesting re: his prospects and taking time away...I honestly view that with the utmost respect, and think that's what epitomizes leadership.

For me, people that just try to shrug things off and put on a brave face, are those who are not dealing with their own issues - and therefore not properly equipped to deal with others or be in a leadership position.

For him to put his hand up and say 'hey I need some time away', speaks volumes about him as a person and a leader. That incident with Prestia clearly rattled him, and he hated what he'd done and how he'd been perceived. In this day and age of social media and your minute to minute actions perceived as a microcosm of your 'actual self', the denigration of his character would have been tough for someone like hin to take. The fact that he came out, owned up to it and showed genuine remorse, and then took time away from the game and came back better than ever, demonstrates to me that he has the capability to learn from his mistakes and grow as a person - which is exactly what you want when considering a captain for this great organization of ours :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My preference would be Danger. He would have been captain at any other club.

Stewart as 2nd on my list and good option for a few years.

Blitz is third option. He is just so important to be focussed on his own game and varied game day tactics, I’m reluctant to add captaincy to his workload.

Hawkins could do it but with injury may not be appropriate. Also down forward so can make it hard to wrestle back control of a game if team is down.

I love Guthrie but he seems a little on quiet side for the role. More a Joel Corey approach rather than captain.

Duncan also could do it well.

It’s a three horse race I’m told. And not in that order

Dangerfield
Atkins
Stewart

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dangerfield
Atkins
Stewart

I think Danger played himself into the role during the 2022 Finals Series - he just played with a freedom that brought out the best in him and importantly his teammates.
Perhaps the Psych he was seeing managed to get rid of the weight of expectation weight around his neck , which enabled him to play in the moment and not have expectation drag him down?
If we get that Danger in 2023 he's got the gig IMHO :think:

Danger will have that impact without being captain, and as he said, it may be for only season 23 if he gets it.
Eddie Betts last year (on Best on Ground) suggested Cam Guthrie as the likely player he thought would take on captaincy, fwiw. CG has been there the whole time with CS, and we know how proud of Cam that CS is.
But I suspect it'll be Danger's job for 2023, then he retires after B2B, and hopefully Jack Henry is ready.
BUT, my second suspicion is that Stewart will take over if he has an unblemished season in the mind stakes.

I also believe if Danger had gone to any of the 16 other clubs, he would have been captain. Maybe 17 if he'd stayed at Crow Park.
We were blessed to have Selwood for as long as we did.

Last edited:
Danger will have that impact without being captain, and as he said, it may be for only season 23 if he gets it.
Eddie Betts last year (on Best on Ground) suggested Cam Guthrie as the likely player he thought would take on captaincy, fwiw. CG has been there the whole time with CS, and we know how proud of Cam that CS is.
But I suspect it'll be Danger's job for 2023, then he retires after B2B, and hopefully Jack Henry is ready.
BUT, my second suspicion is that Stewart will take over if he has an unblemished season in the mind stakes.

I also believe if Danger had gone to any of the 16 other clubs, he would have been captain. Maybe 17 if he'd stayed at Crow Park.
I think if Danger is captain, provided he is managed, he will be awesome in crucial matches.

I think if Danger is captain, provided he is managed, he will be awesome in crucial matches.
I'd like to think that would be the case without captaincy, and "management" could be the operative word.
What Danger has done for our club- I think without him, we may not have been a contender in some of those years- is awesome already, and if he gets the job as a thankyou for 12 months, nobody could begrudge him that.

Why do so many posters/supporters want to retire off these Geel superstars prematurely - i hope he plays for another 3 years

Someone listed Atkins as one of 3 probables - Atkins had a very good year - however he should be and is 1000 to 1 for the Geel captaincy

And it would be an absolute insult to Dangerfield if Atkins got the job - which he wont

Dangerfield basically saved Geel and artificially for years propped up the side

I can remember his 1st year - and Selwood in combination with him was fantastic - Joel finally had a mate to help him

That year -mid year i think it was Stk - they beat us - and Allan Richardson ( their coach at the time ) said Dangerfield and Sellwood have been in outstanding form - he really emphasised that after the game - and they were

Surely Dangerfield gets rewarded with the captaincy - for what hes done playing for Geel over the journey

Why do so many posters/supporters want to retire off these Geel superstars prematurely - i hope he plays for another 3 years

Someone listed Atkins as one of 3 probables - Atkins had a very good year - however he should be and is 1000 to 1 for the Geel captaincy

And it would be an absolute insult to Dangerfield if Atkins got the job - which he wont

Dangerfield basically saved Geel and artificially for years propped up the side

I can remember his 1st year - and Selwood in combination with him was fantastic - Joel finally had a mate to help him

That year -mid year i think it was Stk - they beat us - and Allan Richardson ( their coach at the time ) said Dangerfield and Sellwood have been in outstanding form - he really emphasised that after the game - and they were

Surely Dangerfield gets rewarded with the captaincy - for what hes done playing for Geel over the journey
The retirement was based on his own comment, that all he is focused on is 2023. I think a B2B would be the ultimate finale for him IF THAT WAS HIS DESIRE.

If I could select one player who I think epitomises what GEELONG is, stands for, and plays the way it should be played- it would be JEREMY CAMERON.
Now he is too "new" for the captaincy, maybe, but he would be an inspired and inspirational selection.

It's crazy- I could mount great arguments for at least 8 players who could be very good captains for our club. Again, we are spoiled for riches.

Dangerfield
Atkins
Stewart

Wont be atkins much as i love him.

Will be one of the other 2 imo.

That's the interesting thing and I'm not quite sure of the rules around that

Matthew Pavlich:
  • Freo captain, 2007 -> 2015 season
  • AFLPA president, 2015 - 2017
  • Retired after the 2016 season

Peter Bell:
  • Freo captain, 2002 -> 2006
  • AFLPA president, 2003 -> 2007

Peter Mann:
  • Freo captain, 1997 -> 98
  • AFLPA president, 1997 -> 2000
  • Retired after 1999

Ron Alexander:
  • Fitzroy captain, 1979 -> 1980
  • AFLPA president, 1978 -> 1980

Don Scott:
  • Hawthorn captain, 1976 -> 1980
  • AFLPA president, 1977 -> 1978

Of the 16 AFLPA presidents, 5 have also held their club captaincy at the same time

There goes that theory then….

Disagree. Has 2 or 3 years left in him. His leadership is beyond question. As the public face of the club he'd be second to none. We need someone with his capability to follow Joel. There's no other standout. And he's earned it. Think it's time to relinquish the AFLPA role anyway.

Well, if the demands of AFLPA President, GFC Captain AND the ever increasing burden of managing an ageing body can be met, he would make an outstanding captain! I also believe Tom Stewart and Tom Hawkins would be outstanding. We really are spoiled for choice atm.

We've seen Selwood be suspended & other captains across the league, so that's not an in itself. But when a suspended player talks about then needing a break from football & goes away from a week or two during the season, not sure that's what you often see from the captain

If anything, I believe his suspension improved his Captaincy credentials. Genuinely remorseful IMMEDIATELY, but played out the game in stellar fashion. Fell in his sword and demanded his full whack for an act I believe was genuinely ashamed of. That’s the kind of character we want Captaining the GFC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back