Next captain options?

Who should be our next captain

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have changed my thinking somewhat. For the 'now' either Danger or Blicavs, and longer term, Max Holmes.

I feel Tom Stewart needs to focus on what he does best - defending, and not have captaincy distracting him.

Danger will be the skip if he wants it. No further posts necessary.;)

I feel like the time has passed for Danger to be Captain. Also, he’d need to relinquish his role as AFLPA President to create the necessary time and space to be Captain, surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like the time has passed for Danger to be Captain. Also, he’d need to relinquish his role as AFLPA President to create the necessary time and space to be Captain, surely?

If he is going to be managed like he was in 2022, then agree. Not sure if Danger being managed was because of injury?

One thing Blitz has going for him is that he has experience playing literally every position on the ground.

Not sure Blicavs has the gravitas we have come to expect from GFC Captains such as Selwood, Ling and Harley. Tom Stewart, however, fits the profile perfectly:

Inspirational and elite player, prepared to step up in big games and moments.

Hard as a Cat‘s head.

Widely respected externally (look at how well he handled his suspension. Owned it completely and demanded his full whack)

Still has a few years in him, LTI permitting.

HATES to lose.

That's the interesting thing and I'm not quite sure of the rules around that

Matthew Pavlich:
  • Freo captain, 2007 -> 2015 season
  • AFLPA president, 2015 - 2017
  • Retired after the 2016 season

Peter Bell:
  • Freo captain, 2002 -> 2006
  • AFLPA president, 2003 -> 2007

Peter Mann:
  • Freo captain, 1997 -> 98
  • AFLPA president, 1997 -> 2000
  • Retired after 1999

Ron Alexander:
  • Fitzroy captain, 1979 -> 1980
  • AFLPA president, 1978 -> 1980

Don Scott:
  • Hawthorn captain, 1976 -> 1980
  • AFLPA president, 1977 -> 1978

Of the 16 AFLPA presidents, 5 have also held their club captaincy at the same time

Not sure Blicavs has the gravitas we have come to expect from GFC Captains such as Selwood, Ling and Harley. Tom Stewart, however, fits the profile perfectly:

Inspirational and elite player, prepared to step up in big games and moments.

Hard as a Cat‘s head.

Widely respected externally (look at how well he handled his suspension. Owned it completely and demanded his full whack)

Still has a few years in him, LTI permitting.

HATES to lose.

Like backsides, we all have opinions. I happen to strongly disagree with this one.
Blicavs fulfils all those criteria you noted, except the suspension, which is part of the reason he should be favoured. Stability as a captain is important, and of course you can mention Selwood's indiscretion, but overall, Blicavs would be a commendable choice.

Disagree. Has 2 or 3 years left in him. His leadership is beyond question. As the public face of the club he'd be second to none. We need someone with his capability to follow Joel. There's no other standout. And he's earned it. Think it's time to relinquish the AFLPA role anyway.

Dangerfield as club captain would have a huge potential conflict of interest unless and until he resigns the AFLPA Presidency and/or is prepared to compromise his performance in that role by not advocating either privately or publicly for AFLPA positions which are in conflict with Geelong's interests.
Spot on and that wouldn't be a problem at all if he and the club thought he was best man for the job.

Still don't get the controversy over this matter. Danger will get it if he wants it. Ticks all the boxes. Leadership. Development of young players. Ability to communicate. Commercial appeal. And, he's earned.

NZnleg5.jpg

IMO, a good captain needs to have the personality and drive to lead the group, as well as the willingness to do all the external stuff.
For me, that rules out Stewart and Guthrie, as much as I love them as senior players.

Danger or Blicavs for 2023/24.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the interesting thing and I'm not quite sure of the rules around that

Matthew Pavlich:
  • Freo captain, 2007 -> 2015 season
  • AFLPA president, 2015 - 2017
  • Retired after the 2016 season

Peter Bell:
  • Freo captain, 2002 -> 2006
  • AFLPA president, 2003 -> 2007

Peter Mann:
  • Freo captain, 1997 -> 98
  • AFLPA president, 1997 -> 2000
  • Retired after 1999

Ron Alexander:
  • Fitzroy captain, 1979 -> 1980
  • AFLPA president, 1978 -> 1980

Don Scott:
  • Hawthorn captain, 1976 -> 1980
  • AFLPA president, 1977 -> 1978

Of the 16 AFLPA presidents, 5 have also held their club captaincy at the same time

If Freo continually think it’s a good idea, we should probably do the opposite.

IMO, a good captain needs to have the personality and drive to lead the group, as well as the willingness to do all the external stuff.
For me, that rules out Stewart and Guthrie, as much as I love them as senior players.

I think Stewart can lead. He has come up the hard way and can lead by example.

One from left field - Mark O'Connor. Troy Selwood said he would make a good captain

He would but a captain needs to be a best 22 lock and hes on the fringe.

Some people misreading this completely, IMO. Danger said he's putting his hand up, but the playing group/board will ultimately decide (as discussed in the article released earlier). Then said what a lot of us were saying re: how blessed we are for leadership options, and then stated how he thinks he's one of five names being considered - alongside mentioning how it's not just limited to them either, when it comes to leadership within the club.

Article posted in full here highlights this - rather than just the short grab they used on Seven News:

"I mean, we’ve got so many different players to be honest that could fill that void that’s left by Joel. We’re in a really fortunate position,” Dangerfield said, speaking at the AFL Players Association’s first year induction day.

“So, I’m probably one of five people that could very, very easily assume that role.”

Selwood leaves big shoes to fill, having captained the club from 2012 to 2022 and played the most games as an AFL captain (245). He also holds the Geelong record for most games played (355).

However Dangerfield said the Cats are spoilt for choice when it comes to who next takes over the reins with leadership qualities spread among the playing group.

“To be honest it’s probably more than just four others … we’ve been privileged over a long time that we’ve been a really successful group and that doesn’t happen by accident,” he said.

“That happens with good leadership both on and off the field.”

While Geelong have many candidates that could assume the role closer to age 30 than 20, Dangerfield said the priority was finding someone to lead them to a flag this year instead of a long-term prospect.

“The decision for us will be about best person for the job for next year. It’s not really looking any further beyond that,” said Dangerfield.

“It’s to give us the best chance of winning a grand final in season 2023. So, I get the notion behind, you know, longer-term appointments but we also want to win now.”

Dangerfield himself is 32, while Tom Stewart 29, Mark Blicavs 31, Isaac Smith 34, Tom Hawkins 34, Gary Rohan 31, Cameron Guthrie 30 and Jeremy Cameron 29.

However, one young prospect could be 27-year-old Tom Atkins, who received the best clubman award in 2022.

In not giving too much away, Dangerfield said the coaches will make the call with the players and the club’s board.

Tbh, I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

Stewart did a ton of media interviews last year
and was back long before the other senior players when pre-season began - so he's definitely done all of these things. Not to mention his will to win on field, him saying how much he wants to captain the club last year, standing in for Sel at times, and being his 2IC alongside Danger all last season, and his rapport with everyone within the club.

He's also an assistant coach for the women's team and does a ton of work in the community. Guth I understand, but Stew is absolutely a prime candidate; if not THE prime candidate.

Feel you're really underselling him based on this post, IMO.

Last edited:

and was back long before the other senior players when pre-season began - so he's definitely done all of these things. Not to mention his will to win on field, him saying how much he wants to captain the club last year, standing in for Sel at times, and being his 2IC alongside Danger all last season, and his rapport with everyone within the club.

He's also an assistant coach for the women's team and does a ton of work in the community. Guth I understand, but Stew is absolutely a prime candidate; if not THE prime candidate.

Fair enough and good information.
I probably read too much into his laid-back style :-D

If Dangerfield genuinely wants it he'll get it.
Players love him, he has leadership behind him with the AFLPA and he's a great interim skipper between Selwood and our next long term Captain (not taking away anything from Danger as skipper, IMO he'd be very good, albeit for a short period).
But like he said there would easily be 5 or more players who could comfortably fill the role, Danger, Blicavs, Guthrie, Hawkins, Stewart and then the next tier/wave of players.

Was an assistant coach - he did that for their first and maybe second AFLW season, but hasn't been involved for a few years

Does Stewart's suspension from last season & the holiday he then went on with the family to get away from football, come into the captaincy discussions?

We've seen Selwood be suspended & other captains across the league, so that's not an in itself. But when a suspended player talks about then needing a break from football & goes away from a week or two during the season, not sure that's what you often see from the captain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back