Next captain options?

Who should be our next captain

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Blics will be vice. Stewart captain. Absolute no brainer and has been for a while.
Are you a soccer fan? Melbourne City at home near you.
Anyway, you may well be correct about Stewart.
Nobody would begrudge him that if he was selected.

Not sure Stewart is the right choice. IMO has not had a great year because a few times has dropped the head and whinged a bit too much to the umps. Harsh I know
Excellent player, but a little controversial.
Atkins has just established himself in the team- unlikely to get the job just yet. Agree
Danger would be great, but is likely to get managed even more next year. Agree
Hawkins is inspirational and long-serving, maybe a little too short term. Agree
CGuthrie and Blicavs seem great for me, but if not, what about Tuohy or Duncan? Tououhy is 32 now, Blitz 31, Duncan 31, Cuthrie 30
As many have said, we have a great list, and a great MC, and the choice will be correct.

Cameron, Cameron or Henry

Cameron, Cameron or Henry
Vdubs said:
Not sure Stewart is the right choice. IMO has not had a great year because a few times has dropped the head and whinged a bit too much to the umps. Harsh I know

The way Stewart has stood up and refused to be provoked by the consistent targeting from umpires ever since the Prestia incident has only added to his obvious leadership credentials.

Vdubs said:

The way Stewart has stood up and refused to be provoked by the consistent targeting from umpires ever since the Prestia incident has only added to his obvious leadership credentials.
We can agree to disagree. I love Stew but I don't reckon it's been his best year on a number of levels, Prestia aside which I thought he was harshly done by

Not sure Stewart is the right choice.
Atkins has just established himself in the team- unlikely to get the job just yet.
Danger would be great, but is likely to get managed even more next year.
Hawkins is inspirational and long-serving, maybe a little too short term.
CGuthrie and Blicavs seem great for me, but if not, what about Tuohy or Duncan?
As many have said, we have a great list, and a great MC, and the choice will be correct.
Controversial? Selwood has been called a thug, a sook and a cheat (ducker) the whole way. It would be the last thing the squad consider when voting their captain. If it was controversial as in he had a DUI or said something crazy, maybe.

What makes you put Guthrie or Blicavs ahead of the two vice captains this year, Dangerfield and Stewart, who were part of a 3 man leadership group this season? Besides being great and favourite players.

Controversial? Selwood has been called a thug, a sook and a cheat (ducker) the whole way. It would be the last thing the squad consider when voting their captain. If it was controversial as in he had a DUI or said something crazy, maybe.

What makes you put Guthrie or Blicavs ahead of the two vice captains this year, Dangerfield and Stewart, who were part of a 3 man leadership group this season? Besides being great and favourite players.
That is all.
Danger- management issues next year potentially. Family, Moggs Creek....
Stewart- nothing, would be an awesome choice, but just stating my choices.

Last edited:
Not sure Stewart is the right choice.
Atkins has just established himself in the team- unlikely to get the job just yet.
Danger would be great, but is likely to get managed even more next year.
Hawkins is inspirational and long-serving, maybe a little too short term.
CGuthrie and Blicavs seem great for me, but if not, what about Tuohy or Duncan?
I agree, but why would a short-term captain be a bad thing?

Harley was captain for 3 seasons for 2 premierships before he retired. Ling for 2 seasons for 1 flag before he also called it a day.

In fact going by the fact each of the club's last three captains won flags in their retirement year, it may be a recipe for more immediate success..!

In all seriousness, my opinion is Hawkins embodies the spirit of the club more than anyone. I think it would be fair to offer it to him.

BLICAVS- 2 years.
Stable.
Resilient.
Respected.
Critical player in our setup.
Then... ? Jack Henry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the kids are back training and one Tom Stewart too. Good chance he’s the next captain

Attachments

• 95A2B9DA-9846-4323-BD27-BA0FFCC094DA.jpeg
    95A2B9DA-9846-4323-BD27-BA0FFCC094DA.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 7014AB45-547D-4CEA-9D7D-0449AC027927.jpeg
    7014AB45-547D-4CEA-9D7D-0449AC027927.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 44
Which ones are unstable and fragile?

Dangerfield may play the same number of games as Selwood did in 2022 (was not an issue) and I highly doubt they are choosing who is most likely to play all 22 plus finals.
Only my opinion, but..

Blicavs sits atop the list for those criteria.

Hawkins will miss many games at this stage.

Danger will require management again, which admittedly did not affect Selwood's leadership this year, but it was his last!

Stewart does not strike me as stable as Blicavs.

Cam Guthrie has the lot going for him.

So Blic or Guthrie.

Only my opinion, but..

Blicavs sits atop the list for those criteria.

Hawkins will miss many games at this stage.

Danger will require management again, which admittedly did not affect Selwood's leadership this year, but it was his last!

Stewart does not strike me as stable as Blicavs.

Cam Guthrie has the lot going for him.

So Blic or Guthrie.
I don't think you're too far off base but I'd have it close to a four way tie between Danger, Stewart, Blicavs and Guthrie. Really difficult to separate.

FWIW I think it's fine to say "Guthrie and Blicavs are my favourite players, so one of them, please"
The only way I’d be willing to accept co-captains is if it were those two. I’m still completely against the idea in general.

Atkins and Stewart would be my two preferences for a captain in 2023 but I’d rather it was just a solo leader.

Definitely not against any of Hawkins, Blicavs, Duncan, Guthrie but I’m expecting Dangerfield.

No secret I’m not the biggest fan of Dangerfield and have stated many times I would’ve preferred we landed Boak but it’s all worked out in the end so any queries I held about his leadership in big games are squashed.

One thing Blitz has going for him is that he has experience playing literally every position on the ground.
And not that it matters, but he is widely respected and liked throughout the competition and at the club.

And not that it matters, but he is widely respected and liked throughout the competition and at the club.

Being respected and admired by the Geelong Footy Club is crucial. But I don't care what the rest of the competition thinks- they can think he's Darth Vader for all I care.

I don't think you're too far off base but I'd have it close to a four way tie between Danger, Stewart, Blicavs and Guthrie. Really difficult to separate.
Dangerfield as club captain would have a huge potential conflict of interest unless and until he resigns the AFLPA Presidency and/or is prepared to compromise his performance in that role by not advocating either privately or publicly for AFLPA positions which are in conflict with Geelong's interests.

The only way I’d be willing to accept co-captains is if it were those two. I’m still completely against the idea in general.

Stewart and Danger co captains would make some sense to me. Stewart is the general down back and has previously been involved coaching the AFLW team so he can drive the standards internally. Danger would be much more at home externally with the media, sponsors etc side of things. Hard to replace Selwood with one person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back