Next captain options?

Who should be our next captain

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as we don't have duel captains. I've always thought that is a cop-out.

If not Stewart, more than happy with Danger
Yes, fighting captains is not ideal.
You probably don't want dual captains either?

Cam Guthrie or Mark Blicavs short term
then Jack Henry

Whilst I love Atkins (see my thread) if he gets the gig now I think it would be disrespectful to others who are more senior. EG Danger, Hawk, Stewart, Blitz, Duncan.

So I think it is unlikely, and so I would have a gold standard kg on Danger. Would love Jez but IMO unlikely by his own decision.
Noting a distinct lack of CGuth love as skipper.
Given he started his career with CS, is incredibly consistent and capable, highly respected, and a very good speaker.
Do people think he's too quiet, or what?
2 B & F- he is also a very accomplished player who will never leave Geelong.
And where would we be without Blicvs and Zuthrie, both directly attributable to Cam Guthrie?

I don't think how a guys is playing is a good reason for the captaincy. And its not an honorary position. It is a key position as much as it is on field.

Only internally would anyone know who is really standards driven. That has to be foremost. Can they continue to drive standards and have the respect of the playing group. Next season, motivation will have to be maintained. It is not a certainty. The right skipper, regardless of the leadership within the group, with be guy everyone will be looking to. especially after having Joel there for such a long time.

Noting a distinct lack of CGuth love as skipper.
Given he started his career with CS, is incredibly consistent and capable, highly respected, and a very good speaker.
Do people think he's too quiet, or what?
2 B & F- he is also a very accomplished player who will never leave Geelong.
And where would we be without Blicvs and Zuthrie, both directly attributable to Cam Guthrie?
YEs good point - I missed him. Never stuck me as captain material though but maybe cos he does come across as a quiet achiever

The Club will know best who exemplifies our culture and standards.
Joel is such a generational leader I wouldn't be opposed to joint captains for a short time - Stewart and Danger.
Settle the ship until one of the younger guys can take over the helm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I'm still banging the Atkins drum, I thought that Mitch's intro for Tom's clubman award gives another interesting angle that perhaps the other candidates may not be so adept at (...conjecture of course).

"...This player’s ability to connect between all ages is remarkable and is probably why we love his guy as much as we do; ‘cause he can gel (with) our 1st year players and well as our senior players."

Given the hollowed out demographic of our list, this natural ability cannot be underrated. You want EVERY player to buy into the captaincy. So if a 1st or 2nd year player sees Danger as captain (for example), it might not have as much of an impact if that player is not convinced that Danger even remembers their name.

This is why I've mentioned Tom's age couple of times as a truly undervalued plus for him as captain (along with the other stuff I've laid out in previous posts.)

Just a thought anyway.

It should be stewart or cam guthrie.

i think scott will be desperate to give it to blicavs though.

danger still a shot for a season. He would be a monty if it wasnt for his injury issues.

played a captains finals series.
I think Blics will be vice. Stewart captain. Absolute no brainer and has been for a while.

While I'm still banging the Atkins drum, I thought that Mitch's intro for Tom's clubman award gives another interesting angle that perhaps the other candidates may not be so adept at (...conjecture of course).

"...This player’s ability to connect between all ages is remarkable and is probably why we love his guy as much as we do; ‘cause he can gel (with) our 1st year players and well as our senior players."

Given the hollowed out demographic of our list, this natural ability cannot be underrated. You want EVERY player to buy into the captaincy. So if a 1st or 2nd year player sees Danger as captain (for example), it might not have as much of an impact if that player is not convinced that Danger even remembers their name.

This is why I've mentioned Tom's age couple of times as a truly undervalued plus for him as captain (along with the other stuff I've laid out in previous posts.)

Just a thought anyway.
And what happens if atkins form deteriorates slightly and he plays reserves for half the season?

Last edited:
And what happens if atkins form deteriorates slightly and he plays reserves for half the season?
Of course that's possible. But I would question how possible, given the steady upward trajectory of his entire time at the club, ...particularly with this year arguably being his break-out. And now that Sel is gone, there's also room to comfortably justify both Atkins and Parfitt on the inside.

Look, in the end, while I'm clearly banging on about Atkins (obviously because I think he'd make a good fist of it) I also implicitly trust the club to make the right call.

Both you and I, and everyone on this forum, are working with peripheral publicly available information. Now while that's of course relevant, we also have absolutely no idea how this stuff is weighted inside the club when the decision is actually made (or indeed what other info they have at their disposal).

In advocating for Atkins, I'm simply making the case that his publicly available info makes as strong a case as any of the other candidates, albeit for different reasons. Further to that, I would argue that it's those differentiating reasons that make his candidacy all the more compelling.

Of course that's possible. But I would question how possible, given the steady upward trajectory of his entire time at the club, ...particularly with this year arguably being his break-out. And now that Sel is gone, there's also room to comfortably justify both Atkins and Parfitt on the inside.

Look, in the end, while I'm clearly banging on about Atkins (obviously because I think he'd make a good fist of it) I also implicitly trust the club to make the right call.

I was going to post this but you said it perfectly.

I'd love to see Hawkins take over for however long he has left.

He's lead the foward line for a decade, always brings his teammates in and addresses his teammates in the huddle.

Most importantly he's seen Selwood lead his whole career and would know exactly what the role requires of him.

Probably no chance though.

I would like to see Atkins be our next captain.

So would I and many others but I don't think it will happen. However as said above whatever the playing group and coaches decide will be the right decision and we need to trust that
All the other guys in the discussion right now will be retired by the time Atkins is their age and then he will be captain!

How old is he like 25?

Not sure Stewart is the right choice.
Excellent player, but a little controversial.
Atkins has just established himself in the team- unlikely to get the job just yet.
Danger would be great, but is likely to get managed even more next year.
Hawkins is inspirational and long-serving, maybe a little too short term.
CGuthrie and Blicavs seem great for me, but if not, what about Tuohy or Duncan?
As many have said, we have a great list, and a great MC, and the choice will be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back