Next captain options?

Who should be our next captain

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do so many posters/supporters want to retire off these Geel superstars prematurely - i hope he plays for another 3 years

Someone listed Atkins as one of 3 probables - Atkins had a very good year - however he should be and is 1000 to 1 for the Geel captaincy

And it would be an absolute insult to Dangerfield if Atkins got the job - which he wont

Dangerfield basically saved Geel and artificially for years propped up the side

I can remember his 1st year - and Selwood in combination with him was fantastic - Joel finally had a mate to help him

That year -mid year i think it was Stk - they beat us - and Allan Richardson ( their coach at the time ) said Dangerfield and Sellwood have been in outstanding form - he really emphasised that after the game - and they were

Surely Dangerfield gets rewarded with the captaincy - for what hes done playing for Geel over the journey

I have no inside info at all but I would be VERY surprised if Geelong gave even the slightest consideration to “rewarding” a player with the Captaincy! Look at the character of our last 3 (Premiership) Captains:
Harley
Ling
Selwood
Outstanding leaders and characters!!
If you need to be rewarded, you should be immediately disqualified for the gig.
Remember, GAJ was overlooked as GFC Captain his entire career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no inside info at all but I would be VERY surprised if Geelong gave even the slightest consideration to “rewarding” a player with the Captaincy! Look at the character of our last 3 (Premiership) Captains:
Harley
Ling
Selwood

Well i would rather " Reward " someone who has played outstanding team orientated football for Geelong for many years - than giving it to Brian Peake after 13 games !!!

Well i would rather " Reward " someone who has played outstanding team orientated football for Geelong for many years - than giving it to Brian Peake after 13 games !!!
Depends on what value you place on captaincy- and what was promised to Peake to get him to Geelong from WA, after having missed out on Stephen Michael.
-how did you immediately react when Harley was named?
-how did you react when our MVP Buddha, gave up the role to focus on his own game?
-how did you react when Colbert was named as captain at such a young age? And was disrespected by his more "seasoned" teammates ?
Peake was already an outstanding player and character, and a proven captain. He was the best player in the country when we got him. Different era and management, so not an accurate comparison. Bit like Danger, except we got Danger's very best, not with Peake.
We would expect and hope that our MC and players know profoundly well how each player ticks, and whether he would be the correct choice.

Last edited:

Harley
Ling
Selwood

I dont think its a case of 'rewarding though'.
Danger is our best player (or at least was for a long time), is a known leader and an extrovert who can handle the media aspects of the role (for example someone like cameron wouldnt be captain because he prefers to be in the quiet on his farm and wouldnt handle all the PR and media in the role the way danger would) and is a leader of the PA and respected by his peers. Performs in big games and can bring players along with him. The only reason we are even debating captain choice is bc of dangers age and do we want a short or long term choice. If he was 3 years younger it would be open and shut.

I dont think its a case of 'rewarding though'.
Danger is our best player (or at least was for a long time), is a known leader and an extrovert who can handle the media aspects of the role (for example someone like cameron wouldnt be captain because he prefers to be in the quiet on his farm and wouldnt handle all the PR and media in the role the way danger would) and is a leader of the PA and respected by his peers. Performs in big games and can bring players along with him. The only reason we are even debating captain choice is bc of dangers age and do we want a short or long term choice. If he was 3 years younger it would be open and shut.

I think your spot on here Pure_Ownage. Danger has the profile and list of achievements the majority of people want in a captain, so I feel like he'll get the nod. For me I'd love for someone like Tommy Atkins to get it, great clubman , former VFL co-captain and young enough to lead the club going forward for a few years.

I think your spot on here Pure_Ownage. Danger has the profile and list of achievements the majority of people want in a captain, so I feel like he'll get the nod. For me I'd love for someone like Tommy Atkins to get it, great clubman , former VFL co-captain and young enough to lead the club going forward for a few years.
Problem with Atkins is yes he had a great season but in my opinion your captain needs to be an automatic selection. Atkins isn’t just yet, he needs to back up this season.

I like atkins but i think a captain needs to be an auto selection and he isnt (yet) and with the quality of leader options we have who are auto 22 i doubt it will be him.

That was rather a long time ago

I actually when to Peakeys 1st game as a Cat - it was against Nth Melb at KP - he did kick a miraculous goal in the 3rd qtr - City end - he was opposite his right hand point post - about 2 ft in from it - and he showed great agility - bending his body - to snap it over his shoulder for a goal

There has been other threads mentioning - where several opposition coaches have been sacked - the following week after the Cats have flogged them

Well you can probably add Blights name to that list - because Peakes 1st game was against NM in 81 - and Blight was Capt/Coach of NM ( he didnt play that day ) and Geelong flogged them by over 100pts - and that game was around the middle/2nd half of the year - so it was most likely after that game that Blight got sacked as coach - and they brought back Barry Cable

I actually when to Peakeys 1st game as a Cat - it was against Nth Melb at KP - he did kick a miraculous goal in the 3rd qtr - City end - he was opposite his right hand point post - about 2 ft in from it - and he showed great agility - bending his body - to snap it over his shoulder for a goal

There has been other threads mentioning - where several opposition coaches have been sacked - the following week after the Cats have flogged them

Well you can probably add Blights name to that list - because Peakes 1st game was against NM in 81 - and Blight was Capt/Coach of NM ( he didnt play that day ) and Geelong flogged them by over 100pts - and that game was around the middle/2nd half of the year - so it was most likely after that game that Blight got sacked as coach - and they brought back Barry Cable
I was there too, one of the most surreal games I've been to. We truly PEAKED too early.

Seen here at 10:13

The rest of this vid is worth a watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon for anyone interested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not on the list, but am I alone in wanting to see JACK HENRY as a future skipper? Not too future either; I'm thinking 2014.

Pretty sure that's not possible.

Also; love him, great KD and the kind of athletic tall who can go forward or even into the middle - but I think he is too laid-back to take the leadership reigns - even in 2024

I saw it on twitter yesterday. But when I delved into it i don’t think it was offical or from club (despite it looking like it)

my understanding is that they announce at season launch so still a while a way

my bet is in co captains of danger and Stewart but…

‘in terms of grant Thomas tweet he does love to think that his opinion is always right. the arrogance to opine that “i know it has worked for you for the past decade but there is a better way!’ That makes no sense!

No, was sent to me as a Geelong Cats twitter release

🤔

Wonder if it's the same guy who likes to change his Twitter handle to that of diff organisations, and then pretends to make " official" announcements - the guy who fake reported Stanley being a late out during the finals

Grant Thomas has given his two bobs worth...

What he knows about leadership isn't enough to piss on.
Appointing someone as a transition is EXACTLY what the club/players should do.
Imagine being a Max Holmes or whichever young player they think could be Captain, and having to follow directly after the Greatest Captain of all time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back