List Mgmt. Next Generation Academy List

Remove this Banner Ad

Think VitalDread suggested a while ago that he'd more likely go to Hawthorn but not confirmed
I mainly based on the current Top 40 restrictions for NGA.
Since i see Kobe as a 30-40 talent atm.

Now that the restrictions are gone, it very much up in the air

Kobe has been in our academy for a number of years, though i still believe he would pick the F/S route.

But we will put up a fight to get him

Surely for state footy at any age group the AFL can stump up for shorts for the players, or at the very least be clear which teams bring their local coloured vs white shorts.
They keep the shorts to showcase their local teams
Similar to how AFL teams have junior footy training days and showcase where they came from

I personally think the whole NGA system is a rort. Look at the interview with Mac andrew, he openly said he was playing footy long before melbourne put him on their nga list and would

Same with buku, he has been playing local footy in the west since he was a kid, us listing him had nothing to do with bringing him to play football.

The northern states are benefiting greatly, the afl should just run the academies and make the draft as uncompromised as possible.

I personally think the whole NGA system is a rort. Look at the interview with Mac andrew, he openly said he was playing footy long before melbourne put him on their nga list and would

Same with buku, he has been playing local footy in the west since he was a kid, us listing him had nothing to do with bringing him to play football.

The northern states are benefiting greatly, the afl should just run the academies and make the draft as uncompromised as possible.
As a pro-Acadmey guy,
I think AFL should fully move to Academy programs similar to the Premier League style but that will cause a lot of headache

Regarding Buku, the only reason he is part of Dogs is that his family attended the Ready Steady Relocate Program for Refugee families adjusting to Australia. Going to the footy made him fall in love with the sport and then joined local footy with friends leading to being added to our NGA (first year of Academy).

The reason for the Academy is targeting youth in local football that have potential via the non-private school football programs.

At least in Melbourne multicultural representation and the strategic aims of the AFL and its clubs still matter a bit though.

For instance, if there was a Footscray born-and-bred Vietnamese kid coming through the system, I think the AFL, Dogs and non-Dogs fans agree that it would be good that that kid plays for the Dogs, even if they started playing Auskick from 4 years old and were no different in talent development from an Anglokid (assuming that he overcomes the likely cultural differences that makes that less possible, which is why the academies exist in the first place, for the sake of this argument lets assume that his parents are well assimilated to Australian culture etc.)

Would make things like our community outreach and school visits etc. far more valuable and effective.

As a pro-Acadmey guy,
I think AFL should fully move to Academy programs similar to the Premier League style but that will cause a lot of headache

Regarding Buku, the only reason he is part of Dogs is that his family attended the Ready Steady Relocate Program for Refugee families adjusting to Australia. Going to the footy made him fall in love with the sport and then joined local footy with friends leading to being added to our NGA (first year of Academy).

The reason for the Academy is targeting youth in local football that have potential via the non-private school football programs.
All fair points vital but I think what u r saying is supporting my argument (and sorry correct me if I am wrong) Buku was playing footy in the west many years before being in contact with the dogs. That's a fact that I know.

We probably have been the biggest benefactors with jamarra but I still think this a complete rort.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All fair points vital but I think what u r saying is supporting my argument (and sorry correct me if I am wrong) Buku was playing footy in the west many years before being in contact with the dogs. That's a fact that I know.

We probably have been the biggest benefactors with jamarra but I still think this a complete rort.
The NGA program starts at age 13 so technically every kid would be playing local footy and they play local since it's only two carnivals a year

The NGA program starts at age 13 so technically every kid would be playing local footy and they play local since it's only two carnivals a year
Cheers mate. The one thing that is clear is the current leadership of the afl is appalling making so many decisions on the run. Might not be a long tenure for Dillon and/or Kane unless they right the ship very quickly.

NextGen Unite had their first AFL Draft Combine with Rookie Me on the weekend

NextGen Unite is a South Sudanese Community group that will partake in the AFL Community Cup series later this year

The draft combine was aged between 13-23 years old

Bulldogs, Geelong and Essendon have a larger number of South Sudanese NGA participants so be interesting to see how NextGen Unite can co-exist with the current NGA system
Western Bulldogs academy member Hok Marial got the chance to be a part of an exciting initiative that is helping grow the game in the South Sudanese community.

The Dogs Next Generation Academy product took part in the first South Sudanese combine in Werribee last month, a partnership between NextGen Unite – which aims to empower and break down barriers in the South Sudanese community – and the AFL.

South Sudanese teenagers from across the western region of Victoria were put through their paces in a variety of tests and drills, and now another combine will be held in Dandenong on Wednesday night.

With 11 African players now on AFL lists, NextGen Unite chief executive Mamuch Chuol, the cousin of Hawthorn excitement machine Changkuoth Jiath, is striving to increase that figure.
He lauded the way that Jiath and other players have given back to their community.
Hok Marial (left) with Changkuoth Jiath at the first South Sudanese combine. Picture: Riley Lockett/AFL Photos

Hok Marial (left) with Changkuoth Jiath at the first South Sudanese combine. Picture: Riley Lockett/AFL Photos

“It makes it so much easier when you have guys like Majak Daw, ‘CJ’, Mabior (Chol), Mac Andrews young star, Leek Aleer. All these differentyoung players that are just played exceptionally well and really creating a pathway for these young people to come through.
They understand the challenges that a lot of members in our community face. They understand the dedication and the sacrifices that they have to make ultimately to get to that professional level, and I think they’ve done a superb job of doing that.

“It’s significant, but we’re just not seeing enough South Sudanese kids going into the game. We’re losing a lot of them to basketball and to soccer but I think the work that the boys in the AFL are doing right now they are really leading as role models to showcase that they can also play football and try and play at an elite levels.

“We just want to continue to grow this partnership and see where it can take us. I think over the years as we grow, I think we’re going to start to see a huge increase in the interest of multicultural young people playing football and ultimately, that’s what our goal is.”

Marial, whose parents fled war-torn South Sudan, was nearly lost to basketball but regained his passion for football.
The 15-year-old has starred for St Albans in the Essendon District Football League, kicking 32 goals in under-16s 11 games and also getting exposure at under-19 level.
He feels inspired watching Gold Coast sensation Mac Andrew and also receives guidance from Sudanese trailblazer Majak Daw.

Hok Marial gets a handball away. Picture: Riley Lockett/AFL Photos

Hok Marial gets a handball away. Picture: Riley Lockett/AFL Photos

“I played a couple years in Auskick and just really didn’t really find love for AFL at first sight, so I started playing basketball and then I got really good at basketball but I kind of fell out of love with basketball,” Marial said.
“And then found footy really interesting, my uncle used to play, he was in Western Jets and stuff so I was watching him train and stuff, I fell in love with footy again. Then started playing at Taylors Lakes and then St Albans and got my chance to train with the Next Gen Academy at Bulldogs.

“Mac Andrew, probably my favourite player to this day. I love the way he goes about it – agility, I’ve got traits like him. And yeah, just really look up to him and I try find ways to be more like him.”
Through NextGen Unite, Chuol hopes to alleviate the barriers that many South Sudanese young Australia.
“Definitely lack of access, a lot of us come from communities where we have one parent households and our parents might have church on Sunday. A lot of kids missed out today because their mum is at church, or they have lack of transportation,” Chuol said.

“We know that that’s a big one, young people having to catch public transport to get here. Just some of those underlying issues as to why there’s not a lot of young people playing and getting involved in the sport.”

Great names are coming through.
Southern
West
Cooney
Cross (not in list)
Cameron
Eagleton
Morris
Lake
Dickson
Robbins (not on list)
Curley
Gia (not on the list)

The names not on the list, are they beyond the 2030 draft?

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Correct
Just keeps the list all nice and tight being within a few years

With Three Rounds left to go for NAB League,

Here's some stats for this years corp

Reily Collins- 176cm- 11 Games 18.3 DPG 2.5 MPG 3.9 TPG 7 Goals
Robbie Cockerell- 3 Games 7.3 DPG 1.7MPG 1.0 TPG 1 Goal
Deacon Fawcett- 187cm 2 Games Played 8 DPG 1.5MPG 1.5 TPG
Seth Fawcett- 185cm 3 Games Played 5.7 DPG 1.0MPG 2.3 TPG
Isaac Abbey- 189cm 15 Games for Hillvale 17 Goals

Overage-
Hussein Kadour- 3 Games Played 13.3 DPG 4.7 MPG 1.3 TPG

Great names are coming through.
Southern
West
Cooney
Cross (not in list)
Cameron
Eagleton
Morris
Lake
Dickson
Robbins (not on list)
Curley
Gia (not on the list)

The names not on the list, are they beyond the 2030 draft?

On SM-G990E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Gee I hope young Southern has a rippin mullet!!!!
Look forward to a backline again having a Southern and Morris.

Does anyone recon Cooney or Lake will nominate the dogs.
I just can't see it, there still seems like bad blood with their dads.

Overage-
Looks like Collins will get drafted.

Kaddour would've before he did his knee

Gee I hope young Southern has a rippin mullet!!!!
Look forward to a backline again having a Southern and Morris.

Does anyone recon Cooney or Lake will nominate the dogs.
I just can't see it, there still seems like bad blood with their dads.

Cooney's back on good terms with the club and Jaxon's been working with us.

Overage-

Any of them looking like a chance to be picked up?

Cooney's back on good terms with the club and Jaxon's been working with us.
Said similar when there were question marks over whether Croft would nominate us (on the basis of us already having Naughton, Jamarra and Darcy) but when push comes to shove, even if the relationship isn’t perfect, the ability for these kids to guarantee staying in Melbourne vs a 44% chance of going interstate (or 50% non-Melbourne) in an open draft is too much to pass up.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Next Generation Academy List

Remove this Banner Ad

Back