NFNL 2023 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

i think the fascination with Bundoora points has come from the reserves player exodus from getting all these big name players in, of which now they cannot fit in a player as good as Fitzgerald into the team.
Fair to think he would not be impressed.
Agree though as Heid probably have similar issues but Bundoora have definitely copped more criticism for it due to losing all the decent reserves players, forfeiting games etc, Heid havent had that problem. Yet.
I get your point, but most of the reserves players that left either retired or were not Div1 senior standard players and went to lower divisions. I don’t think one of those players has really flourished elsewhere - even at a lower level - which supports the point that they weren’t up to it and knew it.

Can’t see how that impacts their selection and points at senior level, but what it does do is create a hole for meat and potatoes reserves players that are core to any club. Unfortunately we are seeing more of this across the board with lower division clubs targeting these types of players from Div1.

Most of their 19’s from last year were bottom age so they didn’t push up in 2023 to fill that void in the reserves this year.

Lots of work to do down there to find numbers (of a decent quality) to play reserves footy, but they do have some very good young players coming through and quite a few will graduate to reserves next year so that might correct itself very quickly.

Also, always tough if you have VFL players on your list and whether you leave their points open in the hope they play local footy, or you top up with other players that can play more regularly and therefore play closer to the points cap most weeks. I think most clubs do that, hence why a lot of clubs on top and middle of the ladder play with close to 46 points most weeks.

It’s a strategic club decision on how they approach that, but a club must always have an eye on development and young players. Bundoora seniors have played 10 Under 19 players this year and half their seniors are under 22. Not a bad balance to have!

Last edited:
I get your point, but most of the reserves players that left either retired or were not Div1 senior standard players and went to lower divisions. I don’t think one of those players has really flourished elsewhere - even at a lower level - which supports the point that they weren’t up to it and knew it.

Can’t see how that impacts their selection and points at senior level, but what it does do is create a hole for meat and potatoes reserves players that are core to any club. Unfortunately we are seeing more of this across the board with lower division clubs targeting these types of players from Div1.

Most of their 19’s from last year were bottom age so they didn’t push up in 2023 to fill that void in the reserves this year.

Lots of work to do down there to find numbers (of a decent quality) to play reserves footy, but they do have some very good young players coming through and quite a few will graduate to reserves next year so that might correct itself very quickly.

Also, always tough if you have VFL players on your list and whether you leave their points open in the hope they play local footy, or you top up with other players that can help and play closer to the cap most weeks. I think most clubs do that, hence why a lot of clubs on top and middle of the ladder play with close to 46 points most weeks.

It’s a strategic club decision on how they approach that, but a club must always have an eye on development and young players. Bundoora seniors have played 10 Under 19 players this year and half their seniors are under 22. Not a bad balance to have!
I’d be more worried about next season. Chopper gone

Shepherd and Lloyd going

Also, always tough if you have VFL players on your list and whether you leave their points open in the hope they play local footy, or you top up with other players that can help and play closer to the cap most weeks. I think most clubs do that, hence why a lot of clubs on top and middle of the ladder play with close to 46 points most weeks.

Stop putting facts in your argument.

I’d be more worried about next season. Chopper gone

Shepherd and Lloyd going
And? Aren’t you saying that they have too many good players and have a points issue? This may address some of that!

I’m yet to work out if Chopper leaving is a bad thing or if he is part of the problem. A lot of people on here knock him.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he does another year!

And? Aren’t you saying that they have too many good players and have a points issue? This may address some of that!

I’m yet to work out if Chopper leaving is a bad thing or if he is part of the problem. A lot of people on here knock him.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he does another year!
Does anyone actually think Chopper is genuinely a good coach or just has the ability to bring money and players into the club?

Does anyone actually think Chopper is genuinely a good coach or just has the ability to bring money and players into the club?
Chopper is a good coach. His management of the squad overall is solid and the group respond well to him. To suggest it’s just money really is not a reflection of the total sum of what he brings. Every coach in this league has supporters and detractors, the group at the Bulls looks a solid unit, with the experience in the squad, if he couldn’t coach it would reflect in the results, regardless of where the money comes from……

The way people talk about Chopper he is amazing.

Yes, he clearly puts some coin into his club that's smart business as well. There is no doubt his business would have got work from it.

He also puts money into the NFNL as an official sponsor, sponsors a few other clubs in the NFNL and employs players from at least 4 other clubs.

Seems to get a bad rap, don't know him personally but have met and chatted to him a few times and reckon you could not meet a nicer bloke.

Can he coach? Pretty sure you just don't appoint a bloke for his sponsorship, only conspiracy theorists would believe that.

Yes, he clearly puts some coin into his club that's smart business as well. There is no doubt his business would have got work from it.

He also puts money into the NFNL as an official sponsor, sponsors a few other clubs in the NFNL and employs players from at least 4 other clubs.

Seems to get a bad rap, don't know him personally but have met and chatted to him a few times and reckon you could not meet a nicer bloke.

Can he coach? Pretty sure you just don't appoint a bloke for his sponsorship, only conspiracy theorists would believe that.
He has some flaws and shortcomings as a coach but he’s very passionate, and think he has wisely surrounded himself with some smarter people that compliment what he’s good at and they have added value and had a positive impact on the team this year.

Last edited:

I don’t know Chopper but I feel he could walk into almost any job in the NFNL or atleast be considered heavily.

I think there is a bit of jealousy from some people/clubs for various reasons but most likely because they don’t have the ability to network the gun recruits he has been able.

Very interesting. I think the league has gone further backwards in numerous areas.

Social media is one, there is very little content aside from a 2-3 match write ups and a vague weekly preview. Put a spotlight on clubs, where is the coaches/captain/president series of visual interviews.

Entry cost to finals is a debacle for fans and family.

Umpiring is always an ongoing battle every where. Communication non existent

Communications with the head office is disgraceful by all reports from club land. No return calls, email replies 4-5 days later if replied to at all.

Match review process is horrendous. Some incidents reviewed as 4 weeks then identical incidents viewed as 1 week a couple weeks later. There is a lack of communication around findings and rulings for all clubs making it very hard for coaches and clubs to educate.
Social media is decent, I think they cover all divisions well but something like premier data would improve the content.

Entry cost, while I agree is far to high is on par with other leagues

Umpiring, just see the Adelaide Crows
Mistakes and Jeremy Cameron kicking goals from the car park to see it’s not going to be “good” at this level.

Communication? No idea.

Match review. I mean it’ll always be somewhat inconsistent being run by volunteers but I don’t see it as a huge issue.

Finals tips

Montmorency vs Bundoora
Round 4: Mont 11-11-77 Bun 10-6-66
Round 13: Bun 9-16-70 Mont 4-7-31
This should be a terrific game with both teams in good form.
Key for Mont is Wale-Buxton, can he control the ruck against McKernan, Shepheard, McEvoy and Jorgenson, which is a massive ask
Fitzgerald has been huge for Mont up forward with 72 goals for the year but will need help from Sleep and Lentini. Honeychurch is a big out for Mont.
The bulls up forward seem to have more options with McEvoy (28) Lloyd (27) King (22) McKernan, Jorgensen all capable of kicking a winning score.
The bulls have gone big and with the weather forecast being good I think they will be too strong
Bulls by 21 points

Nth Heidelberg vs Hurstbridge
Round 3: Hurst 14-11-95 Nth Heid 12-14-86
Round 12: Nth Heid 17-8-110 Hurst 12-10-82
Again like Saturday game, this should be a high scoring game between 2 sides who have worked hard to make finals
The doggies have been the highest scoring team in the competition and will look to Daw, Chircop, Baddeley-Kelly and Dillon to kick them a winning score.
For Hurstbridge, they are congratulated on making first ever Division 1 finals series. House and M Wild are important inclusions and they will need them plus Naylor and Jordan up forward firing. Moschetti has been one of the recruits of the season and will look to continue his strong run of form against a strong Nth Heid midfield.
Would love to see Hurstbridge progress but just think Nth Heid will have too much firepower
Doggies by 17 points
If the weather is as forecasted, 50+ win for North

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fascination is that they bring all these players in with points, if at full strength 3 of them can't play. So you qualify with these players throughout the year, but in the end you go into finals with fringe players that aren't good enough and wont be good enough to beat Heidelerg.

2 years in a row now the same scenario. All while destroying the rest of the club.
Can’t argue with that.

Social media is decent, I think they cover all divisions well but something like premier data would improve the content.

Entry cost, while I agree is far to high is on par with other leagues

Umpiring, just see the Adelaide Crows
Mistakes and Jeremy Cameron kicking goals from the car park to see it’s not going to be “good” at this level.

Communication? No idea.

Match review. I mean it’ll always be somewhat inconsistent being run by volunteers but I don’t see it as a huge issue.
Explain how social media is decent?? Compared to other leagues it’s putrid at best.
Volunteers running match reviews??
Do I need to say anymore??
Actually a concerning post from you mate. Employee???
No club person would agree with this.

Explain how social media is decent?? Compared to other leagues it’s putrid at best.
Weekly radio show live (match of the day), write up for game of the week for each division, preview weekly, plays of the week, podcast…

I dunno what other leagues you follow but this is about the norm if not better.

What league does it best? Happy to check out their work.

Monty to beat Bundy by 15
North hberg to strong over bridges by 38

Monty to beat hberg by 13 points
North to beat Bundy by 24 points

Hberg to beat north by 42 points

Hberg to beat Monty by 11 points
big bear sier BOG

While I'm at it Monty twos will P155 in the reserves

Best of luck to everyone

Concerning post 🤣🤣🤣

Not everyone has to be doom and gloom

Could areas be improved? Of course

But overall it’s a bloody good football competition

Also, always tough if you have VFL players on your list and whether you leave their points open in the hope they play local footy, or you top up with other players that can play more regularly and therefore play closer to the points cap most weeks. I think most clubs do that, hence why a lot of clubs on top and middle of the ladder play with close to 46 points most weeks.

Not sure where you got half there senior side is under 22. There is only 5 22 or under playing today.

I'm not sure your getting the problem. This is all good and well getting good players in, VFL players in. Great for winning games. But when the club is only paying what they have to under the cap and then Chopper is paying these players outside the cap, on Top of employing alot of them. Then there's the issue. What happen when he leaves? You think all these players are sticking around taking pay cuts? If he gets another job, they will all jump ship.

And for someone to suggest it's a conspiracy theory they only employed him because of his money is dillsuonal. It's actually not a secret down there they did exactly that and the coaching was a bonus. I'm not suggesting this is all choppers fault, it's not. The club were in a hole and needed a way out and he was it.

Unfortunately when the club needed an out and Chopper wanted a flag at any cost. It's a disaster waiting to happen when the partnership ends.

Let's hope they don't end up like a Northcote Park. Would be sad to go and watch them in Div 2 or Div 3.

yep good football, terrible leadership and administration.
IMO
Been like that for the last 30-40 years in terms of leadership and admin
Media is ok, though think it can be improved
Radio used to have a Sunday wrap up where home clubs would call in, discuss game etc. Yes this takes work but was good league wide discussion, now it’s just a podcast with two coaches.
Do a top 10,20, 50 of each division, generate discussion, not a write up of coming games.
I do this and it’s interesting to see how similar they have become to my write ups, eg how many players kicked 10+ goals for the season, no issue them taking it but I jus do it because I am a bit of a footy tragic and people seem to like the info I provide.
Anyone, enough of that, beautiful day, walking into PCO now for what should be a cracker between Mont and Bundoora

Preston City Oval looking good for beginning of div 1 finals, surface as good as I've seen for a while. Sunny weather like today always helps of course

In light of recent discussion re: administration just saw league CEO Martin Stillman with the cable ties fixing the NFNL banners to the fence. Supporters might say good that the chief isn't above doing the little jobs, cynics might say he's making sure he's protecting the brand and the $$$ ensuring all the pairs of eyeballs watching have paid their $17.50.

Were mont up by a fair bit at one stage today ?
No Bundoora were. About 5 goals or so. Mckernan probably the difference in the end.

They can Bring in either McNiece or Longmire next week. I'd say they go with McNiece if he's fit. The rest they can't fit in.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL 2023 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back