NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

In fairness to Heidelberg though they brought in a bunch of very good 17-18 year olds back in 2018/19 (who are now 1 pointers) and are clearly reaping the rewards of good football management.

They have built a club where quality players seem to stick around - success obviously helps with that, but no doubt plenty of other factor$.

Looking at their team yesterday, I would imagine it will look significantly different come September. Will be some A graders playing reserves football as a result.

The points system is there to promote juniors from within, but also to encourage players and clubs to stay together for longer, which seems to be where they're building success others have not replicated.

They have built a club where quality players seem to stick around - success obviously helps with that, but no doubt plenty of other factor$.

Looking at their team yesterday, I would imagine it will look significantly different come September. Will be some A graders playing reserves football as a result.

The points system is there to promote juniors from within, but also to encourage players and clubs to stay together for longer, which seems to be where they're building success others have not replicated.
Points of clubs over the last 2 rounds and very similar theme throughout the year
  • Heidelberg 46/46
  • BUNDY 46/46
  • Yules 46/46

• West P 44/40
  • Hurst 40/41
  • Nth Heid 39/40
  • Monty 38/35

• Slime 36/36
  • Macleod 35/35
  • Eltham 28/28

Draw your own conclusions but the points do tell a story and except for BUNDY reflect the ladder.
The Bergs are on top with the seniors, reserves and under 19's so they are getting everything done better than any other club and their next 5 years outlook is as strong as any other.
I reckon that there are 2 or 3 clubs in DIV1 that are on really low points and if they can access $$$ (Big ask!) and recruit well to build around their juniors may just narrow the gap sooner.

Points of clubs over the last 2 rounds and very similar theme throughout the year
  • Heidelberg 46/46
  • BUNDY 46/46
  • Yules 46/46

• West P 44/40
  • Hurst 40/41
  • Nth Heid 39/40
  • Monty 38/35

• Slime 36/36
  • Macleod 35/35
  • Eltham 28/28

Draw your own conclusions but the points do tell a story and except for BUNDY reflect the ladder.
The Bergs are on top with the seniors, reserves and under 19's so they are getting everything done better than any other club and their next 5 years outlook is as strong as any other.
I reckon that there are 2 or 3 clubs in DIV1 that are on really low points and if they can access $$$ (Big ask!) and recruit well to build around their juniors may just narrow the gap sooner.

E-Town...the sleeping giants.
(Admittedly, it's been a really long sleep)

E-Town...the sleeping giants.
(Admittedly, it's been a really long sleep)
For me the club with the most upside is the Slime - Won the 19's last year and strong reserves/depth this year as a result.
They are a young group with really strong VFL players aligned to them headed up by Brindley. If they get a few builders with cash back and buy a few they will be strong. Well coached with the Hydes back in control.
To be any good in Premier division you must have 3 or 4 VFL players aligned to your club.
West Preston are doing a lot right also

Round 17 - Bundoora v Macleod
Round 18 - Bundoora v Eltham

Could not be a better script with any of these 3 clubs a candidate for relegation - Things would get really interesting if Macleod can pinch a win in the last 4 weeks.

So where do you suggest they’re go wrong at HFC ? I’m sure they’d love to hear how they can get the place back on track.
Not knocking the club in any way shape or form. You've read that into it.
I'm commenting on the fact that the sustainable club framework is designed to encourage clubs to bring through players from their OWN affiliated junior club which didn't occur last year.

Not knocking the club in any way shape or form. You've read that into it.
I'm commenting on the fact that the sustainable club framework is designed to encourage clubs to bring through players from their OWN affiliated junior club which didn't occur last year.
i follow many bigfooty pages and everyone seems similar about points etc. yes loyalty is rewarded with point reduction but id love to see a comp go one further and establish a trial concept where each club had to run out with a set amount of club ju niors with a then point allocation after that. surely every clubrooms would love premiership photos with a presence of their own homebred in it. probaly reasons why but just a different thought on the topic.

Round 17 - Bundoora v Macleod
Round 18 - Bundoora v Eltham

Could not be a better script with any of these 3 clubs a candidate for relegation - Things would get really interesting if Macleod can pinch a win in the last 4 weeks.
Maybe Bundoora can get Cameron Cloke back to help them stay in Div 1

Word is he's qualifying himself for EFNL Reserves Finals w Templestowe

Hope he doesn't get another knock on the head

Any thoughts - No Second Prize

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Bundoora will be fine.

Will also have a full contingent of VFL players available for round 18 due to the VFL regular season finishing the week before.

As a team or a Club? 19s bottom of Div 3. 2s bottom, and a laughingstock that forfeit (Div 1 Club that forfeits every year is a joke, even if you disagree, it's a joke) and a % of 11 and there is no junior's throughput.

There would want to be a huge influx before I would think my club in that situation was fine.

1s will stay up but as with 2023 and clearly 2024 They will have some paid Ins for the 1s but a joke within the other two grades.

But as long as the VFL regulars get a kick in round 18 (and $$$) you are fine......

As a team or a Club? 19s bottom of Div 3. 2s bottom, and a laughingstock that forfeit (Div 1 Club that forfeits every year is a joke, even if you disagree, it's a joke) and a % of 11 and there is no junior's throughput.

There would want to be a huge influx before I would think my club in that situation was fine.

1s will stay up but as with 2023 and clearly 2024 They will have some paid Ins for the 1s but a joke within the other two grades.

But as long as the VFL regulars get a kick in round 18 (and $$$) you are fine......
They are in a really tough position. Can they hold onto their list? Could be a quick free fall if not.

They are in a really tough position. Can they hold onto their list? Could be a quick free fall if not.

From a clear outsider they need 25 recruits. Some 1s, many 2s and rebuilt a stronger 19s.

If the people in charge are not looking for such a recruitment strategy the Bulls will do exactly the same as this year.

Or they will be fine, what do I know.

From a clear outsider they need 25 recruits. Some 1s, many 2s and rebuilt a stronger 19s.

If the people in charge are not looking for such a recruitment strategy the Bulls will do exactly the same as this year.

Or they will be fine, what do I know.
I agree. Unfortunately it’s a hard sell now. They’ve alway had the appeal of success and big money.

I dont know anyone at Bundy but everyone outside their club knows that their competitiveness previously was due to their ability to raise a lot of money to spend on quality players - Good players went to Bundy for the cash - good on them.
If they dont stay in DIV1 and get relegated it is going to be much much harder to improve as the $$$ may not return to a DIV2 club?
Did they have new committee over the last 2 years as they spiraled? Maybe that is the issue?

Yeah sorry, i mean to stay up this season.

The longer term stuff you have outlined here will be a massive challenge.

Does the winner of mont v north have one hand on the double chance? All things equal should be a quality game. likely Fiery too.

Curious to see if Borough can topple anyone in the top 6 on the way home to pinch a finals spot.

Does the winner of mont v north have one hand on the double chance? All things equal should be a quality game. likely Fiery too.

Curious to see if Borough can topple anyone in the top 6 on the way home to pinch a finals spot.
Huge match. Doesn’t guarantee top 3 by any means but goes a long way to making it. Mont have a few easier games coming up with Macleod, Boro, WP so if they win this they should be ok.

IMO Mont are the only side that can challenge the burgs as they just seem to match up well against them compared to other sides. Can they beat them at Preston? History says no… but you never know.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back