NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Bergs are deserved favourite. But who knows. Ive seen plenty of sides rolled at the last hurdle. Either way Monty should be very happy with their season.

Agreed. Burgs clear and justified favs but in last 24 months Mont have lined up against them quite well.

2023 - Monty by 1p, Draw
2024 - Burgs by 1p and 28p.

Monty without their Captain (who we are told is being given till 2pm to prove fitness) and think they have a few banged up from Sunday (Holmes maybe, just from listening to game online they mentioned he was looking 'proppy') Burgs have this but I am sure they know nothing is just handed out so have to make sure they start on fire and kill the emotion from Mont being an underdog.

Also, as a side for those going get there early, reckon the Magoos GF will be an absolute classic with many players that would be 1s in other clubs on show. After Mont had a very easy win in the Qualifying Final, I predict this to be a classic Magoos GF. Also reckon a few retirements from the game as well.

Finally the 3rds. Burgs would love to start the day with their first GF. One-all this year when both sides have played and for mine the advantage is the fact Heidelberg can train GF week with a full squad getting around each other and getting the emotion happening.

Gunna make my calls early:

1s - Burgs by 10p
2s - Mont by 6p
3s - Burgs by 20p

Lets hope for great weather but forecast atm is 18 degrees with showers in the afternoon/evening and a norwester up to 35km (which sucks)

I follow a different club so only see Mont twice a year.
Can you cite something the current coach does better than the previous one ?

Winning a final is a good start, 2 of them even better, against a North who spanked them in finals last year (+ their last encounter during the season) and a very competitive Greensy on the weekend. Can only assume the game plan is different & better due to this.

Given themselves a chance to have a crack at a flag, even if the odds aren't in their favour.

Last edited:
It was a Bigfooty post… no chance it’s true
Well they may not have a choice, I’m hearing 9 senior players have walked plus the reserves coach as well.
No reserves or 19’s players are at Div1 senior level.
At this rate this could very well mean they may have to go to Div 2.
I think they will stay up but it will be a very long painful season. That might end in the same result.

Well they may not have a choice, I’m hearing 9 senior players have walked plus the reserves coach as well.
No reserves or 19’s players are at Div1 senior level.
At this rate this could very well mean they may have to go to Div 2.
I think they will stay up but it will be a very long painful season. That might end in the same result.
Who is going to force them back to d2? The league?

End of the day recruiting only gets harder in d2. The appeal they have to players right now is you’ll be playing D1 at least.

Who’s the others?
Didn’t get a name. Just told someone else will pop up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

End of the day recruiting only gets harder in d2. The appeal they have to players right now is you’ll be playing D1 at least.

With respect to Bundoora. I would be staggered if the league isn't sticking their beak in and asking for a lot of information. I think it is quiet feasible that some intervention is going to be required. I appreciate those that may feel like they have to "fly the flag" on this forum, but the realities of BFC are far more drastic than what is currently being shared in public.

And if you think that's just scuttlebutt, consider this! - It is reasonable to consider that a NFNL team that was playing 5th grade amo's last season, might beat a 2023 Div 1 grand finalist, next season...

In simple terms, its all well and good to say BFC might find it easier to recruit players to play Div 1, but the league has a responsibility to seek assurances from any club that has fallen on difficult times and take that decision out of the clubs hands if required.

With respect to Bundoora. I would be staggered if the league isn't sticking their beak in and asking for a lot of information. I think it is quiet feasible that some intervention is going to be required. I appreciate those that may feel like they have to "fly the flag" on this forum, but the realities of BFC are far more drastic than what is currently being shared in public.

And if you think that's just scuttlebutt, consider this! - It is reasonable to consider that a NFNL team that was playing 5th grade amo's last season, might beat a 2023 Div 1 grand finalist, next season...

In simple terms, its all well and good to say BFC might find it easier to recruit players to play Div 1, but the league has a responsibility to seek assurances from any club that has fallen on difficult times and take that decision out of the clubs hands if required.
And the question needs to be asked why has it got like this? I think the reason maybe long gone

Laughable precedent to relegate a side due to players leaving….

They forfeited 1 reserves game. Not 10. Top level ammo clubs and EFL clubs also did.

I don’t see how it’s the leagues bussiness to judge how a team might go.

Parade would not beat Bundoora

Don't underestimate the massive difference in standard between the divisions

Every sporting club in every competition in the world falls on hard times. Bundoora is a very proud club with lots of history. Would surprise me if past players and officials don’t rally around the club.

South Morang may well be the real winners if Bundoora’s exodus is proven correct. If they manage to survive in their first year in D1, the appeal only gets stronger.

There’s a real NP & Lalor feel about Bundoora.
Where will their next crop of talent come from? The talent appears barron.

Bundoora did beat one of the Grand Finalists

I would imagine the only reason the league would take action would be if they were not financial

The League will not force this this at all.

They may chat to them that forfeiting reserves three times in two years is unacceptable and monetary fines will only increase (personally those clubs that get forfeited in reserve's should be compensated as well) if it happens again but the idea to drop a division has to come from the Clubs and another Club has to agrees to come up.

Precedent is Lalor and Epping. Whilst made sense for Lalor to go down and they are still working on that, I would suggest it put Epping back years. Players did not have a chance to work for a flag and promotion. They struggled for many years as a result of that decision and now seem to be rebuilding properly in Div 3.

Would Diamond Creek want to come up without winning a flag? I know some here think Div 1 is the be all and end all, but many Div 2 players won't make the grade in Div 1 so they, in my opinion would rather win the right, and celebrate and then move up properly.

Would players be able to be recruited to a side that was not good enough to be promoted?

Whittlesea could not be considered.

This is all great scuttlebutt on here, but I am 99% sure (so you say there's a chance...) that the League nor the Bulls are entertaining this concept.

However, the Bulls have a lot of work to do. Quick glance is they need 25 new players at the Club. From what we hear are leaving need replacing in seniors and reserves need a lot of new blood to be pushing for selection and not getting pantsed every week. Then a review of their 19s who have not been great for years.

I am sure, as we near the end of footy action and move to six months of rumours this one will be going for a while, and that's not bad, we all love good gossip and rumours.

Congratulations to Tom Keys for being awarded the Frank Rosbrook Medal. Considering he was virtually done with football after his short stint at Panton Hill.

If not for Vinny crossing paths with him at the gym and convincing him to give it one really good crack, he would have been done!

As a Lower Plenty person, I’d like to think we set him on his way after graduation from Research 17’s and straight into the ones. He achieved a lot at Lower including b&f’s, premierships etc across 150 games and for him to get this award and hopefully a Div 1 flag would be a fantastic result🤙

not saying they will be forced. but if they cant get a team together to compete. They might just have to request to back to Div 2

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back