NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Even if he did come for cash, Holmes stood tall all year, polled most votes in comp and BOG for them in GF.. not sure much else you want him to do.

Anyone from Monty know why Keenan didn’t play in 2s?
One of the all time blow ups, quite embarrassing really. Berg to good today mont didn't take advantage of their in accuracy infront of goal. I would love to see a game between berg and Keilor.

The league, and this is just my opinion, should have the Division 1 Prelim on a Saturday at Preston. The Div 2 GF, Play that at Epping on the Saturday (where the whole Div 2 finals are played). Maybe the extra day might’ve helped Mont. There were times yesterday where Mont looked a bit knackered.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The league, and this is just my opinion, should have the Division 1 Prelim on a Saturday at Preston. The Div 2 GF, Play that at Epping on the Saturday (where the whole Div 2 finals are played). Maybe the extra day might’ve helped Mont. There were times yesterday where Mont looked a bit knackered.

Would cost the league thousands in gate takings, so no chance.

They would still be paying at Epping wouldnt they?
What is the difference?

Not sure of the numbers, but I’d assume there’d be a number of people that would go to both locations over the 2 days, a lot of people are connected via old football clubs, friends and family etc.

Creek played both days as an example. They play same day maybe half of them don’t turn up at the other ground.

Play them the same day the comp misses out on an extra $17.50 or $20 on anyone that would attend both.

And there’s no way the comp are missing out on $1 let alone potentially thousands.

Not sure of the numbers, but I’d assume there’d be a number of people that would go to both locations over the 2 days, a lot of people are connected via old football clubs, friends and family etc.

Creek played both days as an example. They play same day maybe half of them don’t turn up at the other ground.

Play them the same day the comp misses out on an extra $17.50 or $20 on anyone that would attend both.

And there’s no way the comp are missing out on $1 let alone potentially thousands.
Perhaps the alternative is to play the Div 2 GF on the Sunday at PCO instead?

Agree with all of your points. However, Div 3 GF- Div 2 Prelim- Div 1 2nd Semi, all played on the same day. So it can be done. I also feel it’s more important to have the Div 1 GF to be the best spectacle as possible. Heidelberg, rightfully, earned a weeks break. Mont, I feel, would’ve been better off with a 7 day break instead of 6. Therefore, making the main showpiece a better game to watch. Having a memorable GF (unlike yesterday, ordinary game & a flat atmosphere), should be more important than dollars.

Last edited:
Agree with all of your points. However, Div 3 GF- Div 2 Prelim- Div 1 2nd Semi, all played on the same day. So it can be done. I also feel it’s more important to have the Div 1 GF to be the best spectacle as possible. Heidelberg, rightfully, earned a weeks break. Mont, I feel, would’ve been better off with a 7 day break instead of 6. Therefore, making the main showpiece a better game to watch. Having a memorable GF (unlike yesterday, ordinary game & a flat atmosphere), should more important than dollars.

I agree the GF should be off a 7 day break. Makes a difference come the pointy end. As above maybe the D2 goes on a Sunday.

Agree with all of your points. However, Div 3 GF- Div 2 Prelim- Div 1 2nd Semi, all played on the same day. So it can be done. I also feel it’s more important to have the Div 1 GF to be the best spectacle as possible. Heidelberg, rightfully, earned a weeks break. Mont, I feel, would’ve been better off with a 7 day break instead of 6. Therefore, making the main showpiece a better game to watch. Having a memorable GF (unlike yesterday, ordinary game & a flat atmosphere), should be more important than dollars.

Not making points to keep it that way, I’m all for the 7 day break from the Div 1 prelim, just pointing out what the comp would be focusing on $$$

One of the all time blow ups, quite embarrassing really. Berg to good today mont didn't take advantage of their in accuracy infront of goal. I would love to see a game between berg and Keilor.
Who blew up? Keenan? Surely they could have fit their games record holder onto the bench in the twos?
He has played for the club for 20 odd years, never chased cash and according to play hq only missed one of the last 14 games this year.

But Mont coaches not best, hence why no flags in last 50 years!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who blew up? Keenan? Surely they could have fit their games record holder onto the bench in the twos?
He has played for the club for 20 odd years, never chased cash and according to play hq only missed one of the last 14 games this year.

But Mont coaches not best, hence why no flags in last 50 years!
100%. With 6 on bench for magoos not finding a position for him seems a huge call.

Would have the selection decisions effected both Mont teams. Not saying they would have won either game, but they were well beaten in both and the 2s had beaten Heid well in first final. Emotionally hard I would have thought some Mont players watching as Club legends where not selected in games. Said it earlier big games need big decisions and Mont made them.

Do ya reckon Heid would have dropped someone like Finn for GF if they had selection squeeze?

100%. With 6 on bench for magoos not finding a position for him seems a huge call.

Would have the selection decisions effected both Mont teams. Not saying they would have won either game, but they were well beaten in both and the 2s had beaten Heid well in first final. Emotionally hard I would have thought some Mont players watching as Club legends where not selected in games. Said it earlier big games need big decisions and Mont made them.

Do ya reckon Heid would have dropped someone like Finn for GF if they had selection squeeze?
Bergs lost the first final due to not being able to play blokes in the reserves who had not qualified as seniors weren’t playing. Had a look 6 of them including a bloke who played 6 games of VFL. Some stiff guys who played nearly the entire year in the seniors.

No idea the story with Keenan but he is well over 40 and been in the best once in twelve games. I’m sure a number of people missed out on a spot. Deal with it! “Club legend” shouldn’t guarantee you a magoos spot for life.

Bergs lost the first final due to not being able to play blokes in the reserves who had not qualified as seniors weren’t playing. Had a look 6 of them including a bloke who played 6 games of VFL. Some stiff guys who played nearly the entire year in the seniors.

3 flags for the day for the Bergs so I reckon they got their selection correct

Defensive Masterclass from the Bergs, conceded 10 goals across the three games

Played the games on their own terms all day

Super effort 🏆🏆🏆

3 flags for the day for the Bergs so I reckon they got their selection correct

Defensive Masterclass from the Bergs, conceded 10 goals across the three games

Played the games on their own terms all day

Super effort 🏆🏆🏆
? Yeah certainly not arguing that.

Just saying some outright senior players including a VFL player ended up in the 2s hence the massive turn around

Just made wrong ones.. at the ground yesterday, the kept bombing long as if fitzy was playing.. played right into Heidelberg’s hands!

Coaching is a tough gig. A kid that has played all year, think was junior captain and a club legend missing is huge calls, but GFs need huge calls.

Personally, not a huge fan, not that that matters. I am still local footy fan that likes the local part, watching blokes that have given everything all season play. The ability to bring in higher level players that played only a few games all year for finals is not for me. I know the end result is win I feel the soul is taken out when this happens.

I know there will be people totally disagree, but higher-level players (VFL, Knights etc) should be maybe a 6-game qualifier to play finals. That sounds too much but they are the ones that elect to play higher I fail to see why they can corrupt lower leagues finals.

However, my opinions won't change anything. Smarter people than me are happy with local footy having the ability to do this.

Can Mont finally bring back a flag? Most certainly. Said it previously I think they have matched up better against the Tigers over past few years better than any side. However, as we all know, they will need all to go well.

All season they have kicked 10 goals or more only 5 times against finals teams. Without their leading goalkicker and tall forwards not showing much recently they will rely on Holmes, Sleep or Paterson to get multiples. With the expected weather, this may very well happen.

It's very hard to tip against the might Burgers. Like em or hate em they are a well drilled machine, their planning for 2025 started months ago (know they have already had 'chats' with a few guns from other clubs which shows their vision and commitment to being on top) They will walk out confident and justifiably so. Mont will need to jump them or hold them early. Pretty simple they have to kick straight, and I reckon kick more than 10 goals.

If the Magpies get the win, I suggest Para Rd will close down for a week, hope for a close, ripping game, but if I have to tip (which I don't but will) I think a tigers win, margin is irrelevant.

Yeah, it’s garbage. Premiership teams in the NFNL have forever and a day been filled with 5 gamers.

Being a part of the club like that is also pretty demotivating as well when you’ve played 15-20 games, get dropped because 4 blokes from VFL have come back for finals.

Tbh stopped playing after vfl development got canned because the flow on of this into the ressies was pretty ass

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back