NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

IF we are lucky enough to make it - I'm happy to play in a bog - we are playing home games on one now!! :cool:

Seriously though, that would want to improve alot to justify finals being played on that sort of deck you would imagine, no matter what the previous arrangement with the current venue holders.

I'd be happy to play at the Garvey v OP's if the deck provided was safer for players and a better for spectators ...... but Parade get the away rooms :)

A couple of years back in the VAFA a GF was played in horrendous conditions after a combination of unexpected rainfall and the local council stuffing up the ground management. The new board have had to apologize to all and sundry ever since. Embarrassing.
Heard some interesting info last night. Apparently the Banyule CC by-laws don’t allow their grounds to be fenced off, even temporarily. All grounds must be accessible to all, all the time.

This could be one reason why the likes of Whittlesea Showgrounds is chosen.

Heard some interesting info last night. Apparently the Banyule CC by-laws don’t allow their grounds to be fenced off, even temporarily. All grounds must be accessible to all, all the time.

Nth Heid hosted the finals for years with the ground fully fenced.

Maybe this is a new law?

Are you saying people can play fetch with their dog during a football game?

Morrison back in for Mernda this week says Leader newspaper

Leader
Local Footy
NFL
Gun Mernda ruckman Billy Morrison closing on senior return from knee injury
Mernda’s Team of the Year ruckman Billy Morrison is closing in on a return to senior football after a successful comeback from a knee injury in the reserves.

Ben Higgins
Ben Higgins
Follow
@ben_higgins84
2 min read
July 25, 2024 - 10:20AM
News Sport Network

Mernda is set to receive a massive boost on the eve of NFNL Division 3 finals.

The Demons are preparing to welcome back star ruckman Billy Morrison this week against Kilmore.

The Team of the Year big man and league best-and-fairest runner-up has played two reserve grade games as he returns from a knee injury.

Morrison ruptured his ACL in the final minutes of last year’s grand final, the untimely injury – combined with Michael Evans’ ankle injury – a major factor in the Demons’ heart-breaking defeat.

However, he returns just in time as Mernda looks to go one better in 2024.

Coach Rob Fletcher confirmed he was on target for a senior return at Waterview Reserve on Saturday.

“He played on the weekend, a full game in the ressies, which is good,” Fletcher said.

“He’s done all the work, been ticked off by the doctor for about three or four weeks, and to get through a full game in the mud at Fitzroy Stars was good for him.

“He’s one of the best players in the comp.

“He’ll take a few weeks to get going with match fitness but we all know what he adds to our side.

“Straight in the ruck. There’ll be no question about that and away he’ll go and work his magic.”

Conditions and match-ups will dictate whether youngsters Lachlan Taylor and Lincoln Coffey can all play in a tall trio.

Mernda will be looking to bounce back from a 31-point loss to Fitzroy Stars on Saturday.

The one-v-three clash saw the Stars kick away after quarter-time.

In his fourth game back from serious injury, Brent Marshall was best afield in the loss, while Jayden Bell, Joel Harris, Jake Bennett, Taylor and Kai Turner stood tall.

Fletcher was disappointed in the result but took plenty of positives from the performance.

“I actually thought our effort was alright last week, the boys had a crack,” he said.

“They were a lot cleaner than us, especially in the conditions, we just didn’t take our opportunities.

“I think we had more inside 50s than them, we just didn’t take our opportunities, and didn’t have any scoreboard pressure.

“We walked away disappointed with the loss but overall fairly happy with the effort.

“We’re going to have to beat them to win a flag.”

Mernda faces Kilmore on Saturday before a bye and a final round clash against Ivanhoe.

The Demons are a game and percentage clear in third place and looking to cement a double chance in the new-look top-five finals series.

Leader
Local Footy
NFL
Mernda’s Team of the Year ruckman Billy Morrison is closing in on a return to senior football after a successful comeback from a knee injury in the reserves.

Ben Higgins
Ben Higgins
Follow
@ben_higgins84
2 min read
News Sport Network

The Demons are preparing to welcome back star ruckman Billy Morrison this week against Kilmore.

The Team of the Year big man and league best-and-fairest runner-up has played two reserve grade games as he returns from a knee injury.

Morrison ruptured his ACL in the final minutes of last year’s grand final, the untimely injury – combined with Michael Evans’ ankle injury – a major factor in the Demons’ heart-breaking defeat.

Coach Rob Fletcher confirmed he was on target for a senior return at Waterview Reserve on Saturday.

“He played on the weekend, a full game in the ressies, which is good,” Fletcher said.

“He’s done all the work, been ticked off by the doctor for about three or four weeks, and to get through a full game in the mud at Fitzroy Stars was good for him.

“He’ll take a few weeks to get going with match fitness but we all know what he adds to our side.

“Straight in the ruck. There’ll be no question about that and away he’ll go and work his magic.”

Conditions and match-ups will dictate whether youngsters Lachlan Taylor and Lincoln Coffey can all play in a tall trio.

Mernda will be looking to bounce back from a 31-point loss to Fitzroy Stars on Saturday.

In his fourth game back from serious injury, Brent Marshall was best afield in the loss, while Jayden Bell, Joel Harris, Jake Bennett, Taylor and Kai Turner stood tall.

Fletcher was disappointed in the result but took plenty of positives from the performance.

“I actually thought our effort was alright last week, the boys had a crack,” he said.

“They were a lot cleaner than us, especially in the conditions, we just didn’t take our opportunities.

“I think we had more inside 50s than them, we just didn’t take our opportunities, and didn’t have any scoreboard pressure.

“We walked away disappointed with the loss but overall fairly happy with the effort.

Mernda faces Kilmore on Saturday before a bye and a final round clash against Ivanhoe.

The Demons are a game and percentage clear in third place and looking to cement a double chance in the new-look top-five finals series.
Big get but unbelievably risky for a guy his size consistently jumping in the ruck.

He would be at what? 10 months post op? That less than most full time AFL players return.

Big get but unbelievably risky for a guy his size consistently jumping in the ruck.

He would be at what? 10 months post op? That less than most full time AFL players return.
16 years ago I returned from an ACL after 11 months, and played ruck. If you do the rehab right, it wasn't the knee that was the issue, it was the damn hamstrings when the intensity goes up a notch! I would expect recoveries and medical support have improved in that time so 10 months isn't a surprise.

My biggest concern would be ground conditions. Some of the grounds across Div 3 sound horrendous to be coming back from a serious injury.

Didn’t realise how close the ladder is.

Mernda under serious pressure to win the final 2 or they’ll drop out of the top 3 or potentially could miss finals altogether.

They are undefeated at home so would think they’ll go in favourites but you wouldn’t imagine Kilmore or Ivanhoe will be easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leader
Local Footy
NFL

Ben Higgins
Ben Higgins
Follow
@ben_higgins84
2 min read
News Sport Network

Could be a big reason why mernda are leading the charge trying to get all D3 sides to get the finals venue changed from the showgrounds (I do agree with them though the comp need to act fast and find somewhere else for d3 finals to be played. )

I would have suggested coburg city oval but VAFA had announced it’s been Locked in for their finals.

What are viable options if Whittlesea is deemed unavailable?

Greensborough college? Is that fenced?

Northcote Park?

Lalor?

Reservoir?

Diamond Creek and Eltham could be fairly easily fenced…

10-15mm tomorrow and Whittlesea at home followed by juniors the next day…

I would have suggested coburg city oval but VAFA had announced it’s been Locked in for their finals.

Northcote Park?

Lalor?

Reservoir?

Greensborough College is fenced, but nothing you couldn't easily hurdle. Wouldn't be hard to add some temp fencing to compliment the existing fenced boundary.

Not sure the school would have liquor licence though or be comfortable having it sold on school grounds. Not sure how that would all work tbh.

Whittlesea is an absolute bog at the moment, would be a shame if the finals end up on that sort of surface just to justify fencing requirements/entry fees - IMO - but I would have no idea of any other complications/plans for alternatives. I can only comment on what happened in the VAFA and their HO have since said 'moving would have been a far better option in hindsight'. It's a few weeks away yet, I am sure it is getting monitored.

As for us, we have to make it before we worry about playing surface and to be honest as we have been playing on a bog for a few weeks, it might work out better :) But we have an inform Kinglake coming to play on a small ground that is a bog, so it's a massive game for us.

Whittlesea is an absolute bog at the moment, would be a shame if the finals end up on that sort of surface just to justify fencing requirements/entry fees - IMO - but I would have no idea of any other complications/plans for alternatives. I can only comment on what happened in the VAFA and their HO have since said 'moving would have been a far better option in hindsight'. It's a few weeks away yet, I am sure it is getting monitored.

As for us, we have to make it before we worry about playing surface and to be honest as we have been playing on a bog for a few weeks, it might work out better :) But we have an inform Kinglake coming to play on a small ground that is a bog, so it's a massive game for us.
The league makes huge money off finals. $15-$20 a head x 4 weeks of finals you could be looking at 100k+ shortfall.

The clubs will end up paying for that. A suitable fenced venue is the only option.

The league makes huge money off finals. $15-$20 a head x 4 weeks of finals you could be looking at 100k+ shortfall.

The clubs will end up paying for that. A suitable fenced venue is the only option.
Oh agreed - 100%. I'm not saying there should not be a fenced option used for finals or the NFNL has a significant reduction in revenue generation. That cant happen either. But IF the ground surface is stuffed then having a back up plan would be prudent.

Northcote Park?

Lalor?

Reservoir?

10571z Whittlesea are at Panton Hill tomorrow and have only one more home game against Sth Morang
Last two games are away against Diamond Creek and Northcote Park so looks like limited traffic for 3 weeks before finals

Not sure if juniors or senior women's finals are played at Whittlesea though, haven't looked

10571z Whittlesea are at Panton Hill tomorrow and have only one more home game against Sth Morang
Last two games are away against Diamond Creek and Northcote Park so looks like limited traffic for 3 weeks before finals

Not sure if juniors or senior women's finals are played at Whittlesea though, haven't looked
Apologies mixed the weeks up due to the bye.

Still 3 junior games Sunday this week.

It’s mud. Zero chance grass will grow in this weather with football on it and 6 games a weekend during finals.

Apologies mixed the weeks up due to the bye.

Still 3 junior games Sunday this week.

It’s mud. Zero chance grass will grow in this weather with football on it and 6 games a weekend during finals.
@@10571z can you see the league changing it?

I like the idea of holding them at Lalor or Reservoir, they could probably continue to hold them there in Div3 as neither of them will ever make finals for it to be an issue. 😂
Although I haven't been to either of them recently, they surely must be in better condition than most others due to no juniors.
Can anyone confirm?

I like the idea of holding them at Lalor or Reservoir, they could probably continue to hold them there in Div3 as neither of them will ever make finals for it to be an issue. 😂
Although I haven't been to either of them recently, they surely must be in better condition than most others due to no juniors.
Can anyone confirm?
Had a walk around Lalor this morning it's a bit soft at the score board pocket but still in pretty good condition. Their ground wouldn't be the worse choice for finals.
Pros.
Ground is holding up well with only a couple more games there.
Fully fenced with only 3 gates in.
Best canteen in the league.
Decent bar.
Close to Lalor train station

Cons.
Not the best change rooms.
No really good viewing area if the weather's crap.
Minimal parking around the area.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back