List Mgmt. NGA, Father son watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing Nankervis and Cook in the backlines in the sanfl trials this year seems stupid, it's nearly as dumb as the Fogarty to defence when they tried that as well.
Too often we plays guys in positions that don't suit their strengths
I don't mind Cook at half back where he can use that penetrating kick.

Nank needs to be on a wing or HFF though.

Playing Nankervis and Cook in the backlines in the sanfl trials this year seems stupid, it's nearly as dumb as the Fogarty to defence when they tried that as well.

Cook was straight up outstanding in the trial against Glenelg on half back.

Even Nank didn't look out of place and I quite liked how we trusted his skills on a kickout. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Nank is just setting him up for a wing role, seeing a defence rotation adds further value in locking that spot down, and there isn't a lot of scope to break into the forward line this year.

Ultimately, the attitude of play a kid to their strengths is kind of flawed. The question is what spots are available in the AFL side and do they have a skillset to succeed there? In the case of Cook, things looked very promising in particular.

Asked the ark up podcast (wwt players) and they say he has a back injury. Bit concerning.
Correct. Not serious I believe.
Come On Please GIF by giphystudios2021

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Playing half back is a great way to learn to read the play. You pretty much always have the opportunity to attack the ball and not get caught out of position.
Doesn’t mean that’s where the club sees them ending up. Arguably all of our best midfielders in our history spent a chunk of time at half back during their careers

McLeod
Roo
Goody
Edwards
Danger (draft year)

Nothing wrong with giving them a run there. Particularly Cook

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's a developmental league.

Play them in ways that help them develop. Who knows - some of that time playing other roles may have been part of what made things click for Fog.

It's a developmental league.

Play them in ways that help them develop. Who knows - some of that time playing other roles may have been part of what made things click for Fog.
I cant believe that people think playing Fog in defence helped his football.
The only thing that did was hold back his development and it crushed his confidence.
I can understand trying to improve a players weakness in the the first year or two but Cook is now into his third year.
If they felt he needed to improve in areas, do that early on.
He should be playing HFF instead of Murphy

I reacon its probably to get a bit of defensive mindset added to their games.

Both are very attacking players.. club probably thinks “lets put them both down in defense for a couple of insignificant trial games and let them experience having to defend.. see if they can add some more strings to their bows”..

Hasnt looked like its hurt either of them.. in fact Cook has looked like a natural off half back.. he was close to best on ground in that Glenelg trial…
My theory is alot of kids who are naturally attacking and play forward in juniors make good half backs in AFL as clubs are looking for attack off half back so need good kick skills and decision making

Conversely small defenders at junior level who have good speed and defensive skills make good pressure forwards

Numerous examples where this has happened

My theory is alot of kids who are naturally attacking and play forward in juniors make good half backs in AFL as clubs are looking for attack off half back so need good kick skills and decision making

Conversely small defenders at junior level who have good speed and defensive skills make good pressure forwards

Numerous examples where this has happened
Eddie played BP when he first got to cannons, my mate played on him and kicked a few goals and then played his local footy career as a defender 🤷‍♂️

Eddie played BP when he first got to cannons, my mate played on him and kicked a few goals and then played his local footy career as a defender 🤷‍♂️
Sometimes its as simple as ' ok new kid umm - lets profile body shape , nuggety, solid with short legs - back pocket'
' but coach I kicked 70 goals from a for-'
'BACK POCKET!'

But I agree this should not be happening in a players 3rd year

I cant believe that people think playing Fog in defence helped his football.
The only thing that did was hold back his development and it crushed his confidence.
I can understand trying to improve a players weakness in the the first year or two but Cook is now into his third year.
If they felt he needed to improve in areas, do that early on.
He should be playing HFF instead of Murphy
The issue with Fogarty has always been getting himself AFL fit and maybe playing in defence helped his motivation to get fitter and serious about becoming a professional footballer....?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. NGA, Father son watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back