Nicest player you have ever met past and present

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Salmon was a great bloke and was always ready to stop and have a chat.

Chris Grant is a legend.

Sheeds was always a top bloke.

Bartel, Ling and Gary Ablett are great blokes from Geelong. Ottens also.

Simon Wiggins is a good bloke.

More then I can say for Dean Brogan...was at the airport a while back and said "Go Adelaide" when he walked passed. he turned around and broke my nose. Shite bloke.

I met Jim Stynes at a corporate function, really nice guy.

Spends most of his time with his foundation helping troubled kids.

Richard Osborne.

Met him when I was playing Mortal Kombat at this video rental place when I was 10. He was filling up the footy/cartoon cards vending machine they used to have and had a conversation with me for about 30mins before he had to go. Gave me his autograph and a few deck of cards too!

Richard Osborne.

Met him when I was playing Mortal Kombat at this video rental place when I was 10. He was filling up the footy/cartoon cards vending machine they used to have and had a conversation with me for about 30mins before he had to go. Gave me his autograph and a few deck of cards too!

Glad to see he finally found a profession he is good at!

Yeah, I saw Hird at Perth Airport one night a few years ago after Essendon had played West Coast on a Saturday. A friend I was travelling with went up to get an autograph from him, but James told the poor fella (who was only 14 at the time) that he wasn't actually James Hird. I knew for sure it was him because I'd seen him chatting with Garry Lyon earlier. What happened next was worse though! We saw an attractive, late teens-early 20's girl go up to get an autograph and James didn't even hesitate. Needless to say my mate was pretty cut and so went back again just so he could see Hird squirm when he realised he'd been found out. I know it must be annoying when people come up to ask for your autograph, but it took 5 seconds to sign the bloke's boarding pass and say a quick hello. Not hard.

Sorry Essendon fans, I'm sure he's done good things, but after that incident I reckon he's a first class ars*hole.

I'll top that one with Hirdy mate. At the International Rules in 2005 and I saw him getting some food from an outlet on the top level. A little kid in an Essendon jumper went up to him and asked are you James Hird (dead set this kid was no older than 6), and he just said no and walked off.
No comment, I was pretty shocked.

There is one bloke who I forgot to mention.
I'm originally for Geelong, and when we moved there, for the next 5 years we were living directly opposity none other than the Ablett family.
I only met the kids a few times, Gary Jr was really nice but Nathan was a prick and from what I've heard nothing has changed with either of them.

But it was their father who I remember mos. I used to come home from school and he would be there kicking the footy with my little brother, fixing our air conditioning, mowing our lawns, anything really.
He was one of the nicest blokes I have ever met, and the bloke was a legend, he didn't need to do any of it for us.
I've found it really difficult to hear all the shit that is said about him through the press, because I could never utter a bad word about the man, he was an absolute gentlemen and always had time for us.

I had friends who were on the plane with the essendon team when they were heading over to Perth for rd 22 this year. One of them was able to chat with Sheedy for about an hour. They have said he was really great guy and very easy to talk to. He then signed their boarding pass with "may life bring you all the very best".

Had the pleasure of meeting Matthew Knights a few times, always very pleasant and happy to chat - very organised too. Dale Weightman always was willing to have a chat.

Met David Wirrpanda in a hotel gym in Adelaide on the morning of a West Coast game there a year or so ago - you'd have thought he'd be be busy preparing for the game and not want to be bothered but he couldn't have been a nicer bloke - chatted and was very confident (and they got up and won that day).

Had an encounter with the Hawthorn team in the airport when they were on their way to Tasmania - and have no trouble believing the comments about Buddy Franklin. Being good at Football does not mean we should all kiss the ground he walks on - someone might tell him this! I couldn't help but smile when the Hawks went down by less than a goal that day. Karma.

My daughter bartends at the OBH in Cottesloe and has met all manner of footballers in all manner of conditions and says the best ever was Troy Cook.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Brown (Melbourne one) is an absolute champ, first met him in late '02, saw him again about three years later and he remembered my name which was surprising. Great for a laugh, will always stop for a chat.

Sam Mitchell is a top bloke
Mark Graham would have to be the nicest i've met, when i was younger and Hawthorn played at waverley, he came out after the game and saw me with a footy and told me to have a kick with him outside...top bloke, as is Andy Collins!

I met Simon Goodwin a while back at a Crows family day. A kid who was about 4 wanted to kick the footy with him, so Goodwin actually went aside and kicked the footy with the kid for about 15 minutes. Must have made the kids year. I've always thought Goody was a top bloke since that :thumbsu:

2 good blokes.

1/ Peter McKenna.
Stopped and said g'day to him outside Telstra Dome before a night game.
He kicked the footy with my 10 year old for about 15 mins while having a chat.
2/ Mick Malthouse
Again with my young bloke - Mick went out of his way to talk to my son at the Lexus Centre as he was passing, when a staffer tried to talk to Mick he asked him to wait until he had finished as he was talking to someone.
And also his name has something to do with beer..............

In January 1984 my Dad took me and my younger brother to Windy Hill to have a kick of the footy. For the two of us it was like visiting DisneyLand as we wondered if we would see our footballing heroes.

As we were about to walk through the entrance to the ground we bumped into none other than Paul Salmon. I was 7 and it was like he was a giant. My Dad started to chat with him and he was happy to stay there and talk with us for just short of 20 minutes. I could not utter a word as I was simply stunned. Even when he saiod hi to me I could not even talk.

As he and my old man said their goodbyes we walked into the social club area only to find Mark 'Bomber' Thompson working on the wiring and light fittings wherein Dad told us he was a Sparky (although I'm not sure if this is true it was a long time ago and my dad like to tell stories). Again my brother and I were stunned. Could not talk. Dad started to chat with him as well and it went on for another 10 minutes.

I'll never forget it. It was awesome :):thumbsu:

Garry Hocking - quality bloke, sincere and genuine.
Thornton and the O'hAilpins - as nice as you could get, talkative like no other.
Chris Grant - An outstanding individual. Just one of the best blokes in footy. Have heard countless stories about his generosity. He deserves a chapter in Clinton's "Giving" book.

damian monkhorst! was a fantastic bloke.. i remeber being down at the collingwood social club one day and dad and myself just spoke to him for a good hour.. was a fantastic bloke was sad to see him go

J Brown,

Deadset down to earth top bloke. has time for anyone.

I saw him and a bunch of mates in their own standing room area at the Boxing Day Test a couple of years ago getting absolutely hammered. I think Chris Johnson was there too. You couldn't see the concrete floor because it was so covered in beer cups. He does seem like an approachable guy but maybe not that day so I didn't try :p Probably too pissed

I remember going to footy camps when I was younger and some of the players there were great. Ben Graham was there and it was shortly after he did his massive kickout so we got him to do it again (wasn't as far obviously but it still looked big). Andrew Leoncelli was still nice and chatted to me for a little bit about how I thought they were going to go that season (forgot which but I would have been about 10-11 at the time) which was really nice. It'd be very easy to just scribble your name and say next, especially with a young kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicest player you have ever met past and present

Remove this Banner Ad

Back