Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 165 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 412 71.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And that somehow enforces he is a GOAT candidate whilst Daicos who crushes him at the same age isn't?
Yes.
Because performance is not linear.

This could be Nick's level and he's found it early
Which is still an elite level and ridiculously impressive for his age.

Gary Ablett's 2nd season vs Nick Daicos' 2nd season

Kicks: 189 vs 357
Handballs: 138 vs 329
Goals: 26 vs 19 (predominant forward vs predominant half-back)
Tackles: 77 vs 84
Clearances: 50 vs 88
Contested possessions: 185 vs 197
Goal assists: 11 vs 13
The feeble minded seem to have a clinical obsession with stats :)

Remember when Buddy Kicked that crazy goal against Essendon? Where he ran 60m with the ball before kicking goals 40-50m out from the boundary? On your little stat sheet, that only counts as a goal, no different from kicking a goal in an open goalsquare or a 50 meter penalty. :)

I know it is difficult for the feeble minded to accept this, but the truth is stats mean little without context :). Daicos's stats might be impressive, but stats alone do not provide an accurate reflection of a player's quality :). Daicos can never reach the level of Gary Ablett Junior because he simply isn't strong enough, and doesn't have the same power in his game. No amount of good early-career form will change this fact :).

The feeble minded seem to have a clinical obsession with stats :)

Remember when Buddy Kicked that crazy goal against Essendon? Where he ran 60m with the ball before kicking goals 40-50m out from the boundary? On your little stat sheet, that only counts as a goal, no different from kicking a goal in an open goalsquare or a 50 meter penalty. :)

I know it is difficult for the feeble minded to accept this, but the truth is stats mean little without context :). Daicos's stats might be impressive, but stats alone do not provide an accurate reflection of a player's quality :). Daicos can never reach the level of Gary Ablett Junior because he simply isn't strong enough, and doesn't have the same power in his game. No amount of good early-career form will change this fact :).
We'll just let the footy do the talking then, as it has so far

We'll just let the footy do the talking then, as it has so far
Perhaps you Collingwood fans should take your own advice before attempting to label him the "goat" :)

There is a reason every non-Collingwood fan here continues to laugh at you guys. Nobody disputes Nick Daicos a great young player but only a complete idiot would try to claim he's already one of the greatest of all time :)

Perhaps you Collingwood fans should take your own advice before attempting to label him the "goat" :)

There is a reason every non-Collingwood fan here continues to laugh at you guys. Nobody disputes Nick Daicos a great young player but only a complete idiot would try to claim he's already one of the greatest of all time :)
Not one Collingwood fan has said that, and that's why we're all laughing at you. We're saying he's on a clear trajectory since his debut to be one day in the discussion, which is indisputable. The only reasons people like you can come up with are silly things like "power in his game".

the-castle-the-vibe.png

Yes.
Because performance is not linear.

This could be Nick's level and he's found it early
Which is still an elite level and ridiculously impressive for his age.
Your logic is - because Daicos has cleared the progress made my GOAT candidates at the same age, that rules him no chance to reach the same level?

Not one Collingwood fan has said that, and that's why we're all laughing at you. We're saying he's on a clear trajectory since his debut to be one day in the discussion, which is indisputable. The only reasons people like you can come up with are silly things like "power in his game".
Well even if you didn't literally say that, you're trying to insinuate it is some kind of inevitability. And actually there are a few Collingwood supporters saying exactly that; you only need to check the previous page :)

To be frank, suggesting it's "indisputable" he will be in contention to be the GOAT is just as idiotic as claiming he's one of the greatest right now. Who are you to dictate what is and isn't indisputable? You're just some one eyed Collingwood customer :). Clearly you don't understand much about football either, because you clearly weren't (and still aren't) able to understand the problem with judging a player by their stats without context. It's no wonder you're too feeble minded to grasp the concept of "power"; your brain is only capable of checking units of data on footywire :)

the-castle-the-vibe.png
If Dusty wasn't as strong and explosive as he is do you think he'd be anywhere near the player that he was in his prime?

Nearly every player in the conversation for being the GOAT was an absolute freak athletically. Daicos is as skilled as any young players I've seen but he's nowhere near players like GAJ, GAS, Dusty, Judd etc etc

Your logic is - because Daicos has cleared the progress made my GOAT candidates at the same age, that rules him no chance to reach the same level?
Using the same line of incredibly stupid reasoning, Carlton fans could've argued Sam Walsh is on the same trajectory to become one of the goat based on the statistical output of his debut season. :)
I mean, I have no doubt there are some very dumb Carlton fans who believed exactly that. They are no different to one-eyed fans like yourself in that respect. :)

Gary Ablett's 2nd season vs Nick Daicos' 2nd season

Kicks: 189 vs 357
Handballs: 138 vs 329
Goals: 26 vs 19 (predominant forward vs predominant half-back)
Tackles: 77 vs 84
Clearances: 50 vs 88
Contested possessions: 185 vs 197
Goal assists: 11 vs 13

It’s pretty well known GAJ didn’t start that well. So that’s not really a flex.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't recall saying no chance.

Though I'm dubious he has the toolkit to be a goat candidate, I reckon he'll be top 5 player in the comp for most his career.

Suppose I'll ask this.
If daicos' statistical advantage over GAJ at the same age has him on track to surpass, why doesnt Sheezels statistical adv over daicos?

Well even if you didn't literally say that, you're trying to insinuate it is some kind of inevitability. And actually there are a few Collingwood supporters saying exactly that; you only need to check the previous page :)

To be frank, suggesting it's "indisputable" he will be in contention to be the GOAT is just as idiotic as claiming he's one of the greatest right now. Who are you to dictate what is and isn't indisputable? You're just some one eyed Collingwood customer :). Clearly you don't understand much about football either, because you clearly weren't (and still aren't) able to understand the problem with judging a player by their stats without context. It's no wonder you're too feeble minded to grasp the concept of "power"; your brain is only capable of checking units of data on footywire :)
He is on a clear trajectory - this is indisputable. Should his form waver in the next year, it won't be indisputable. Seems you have some serious comprehension issues. If you want to argue with yourself, go ahead but don't tag me while you do it.

Using the same line of incredibly stupid reasoning, Carlton fans could've argued Sam Walsh is on the same trajectory to become one of the goat based on the statistical output of his debut season. :)
I mean, I have no doubt there are some very dumb Carlton fans who believed exactly that. They are no different to one-eyed fans like yourself in that respect. :)
Not really, since neither Walsh's nor Daicos' first seasons were phenomenal enough to be considered all timers. They were outstanding seasons, but it took Daicos' second season where he would have cleared all them major awards if not for a late injury, to generate a topic like this.

Don't recall saying no chance.

Though I'm dubious he has the toolkit to be a goat candidate, I reckon he'll be top 5 player in the comp for most his career.

Suppose I'll ask this.
If daicos' statistical advantage over GAJ at the same age has him on track to surpass, why doesnt Sheezels statistical adv over daicos?
Sheezel's career is currently on a similar trajectory to Daicos'. I would love to see him back it up and also become a top 5 player in the comp at 20 years old.

Gulden is a mere 5 months older than Nick Afraidcos.

"every measurable metric" Lol, classic Fadge false claim.

In 2023, Gulden averaged way more kicks, way more marks, way more tackles, way more inside 50's, more contested possessions, way more 1%ers, more scoring shots, same goals, and recorded a higher overall player rating.

So I don't think so Fadge.

View attachment 1912265
Enter the Meteoric Stats Sheet Analyst with his stats sheet, where Gulden is ahead of Daicos in a handful of statistical measures. Which would be expected, given they play different roles.

I'm actually surprised Daicos kicked ad many goals as Gulden, given Daicos spent more time in the backline.

But I notice you neglected to mention total disposals, disposal efficiency, and the other statistical measures that had Daicos ahead of Gulden.

And again, we're comparing a player in his third year in the system against a player in his second year, with the second year player clearly the better player in 2023 as voted by the coaches, umpires and players, despite playing four fewer home and away games.

But, but, but.... Player Ratings...

If Dusty wasn't as strong and explosive as he is do you think he'd be anywhere near the player that he was in his prime?

Nearly every player in the conversation for being the GOAT was an absolute freak athletically. Daicos is as skilled as any young players I've seen but he's nowhere near players like GAJ, GAS, Dusty, Judd etc etc
You're picking and choosing. Daicos doesn't need to be as "aesthetically strong" to have similar or greater impact on football games. Why don't you go watch a deadlifting competition if you want to rank everyone on strength? Nevertheless, Daicos at 21 could still yet fill out physically.

Sheezel's career is currently on a similar trajectory to Daicos'. I would love to see him back it up and also become a top 5 player in the comp at 20 years old.
Yep, indeed it is. Sheezel even won the best and fairest in his first season, albeit in a lesser club.

Let's see if he can take the next step and be in the mix for a Brownlow, etc. in 2024.

Me and Fadge have already agreed that with the statue on the mark rule that it has been easier for him to run around half back and recieve a lot of handballs from players that have taken marks. I saw in one game Nick Daicos get 15 possessions with the man on the mark seeing what's happening, but not being able to move laterally and put any pressure on the highly skilled Daicos.

Nick Daicos would not be the player he is now before the emasculation era.
With which account?

Also, it's Fadge and I*

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Back